***Official 2020 Tropical Weather Thread***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah it’s a beech, but when we score we score. I’m So 2020 on this storm though I’m not sure what to think or feel or hope for. Could get no surf, or surf with bad winds, or epic surf, or get struck by you know, an actual hurricane. My frayed nerves can’t handle the speculation. Actually that’s too much negative talk. I CAN handle it, it’s just not always comfortable lol.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Bird you will want to check the specifics with your local contacts. New Jersey has a 14 day quarantine on most states, including California. I don't know what compliance is "voluntary but expected" means. New York might be even worse, and there's no way to New England with a car without going through New York. Or Canada, which isn't letting you in, and the closest non-New York way into Canada is the Ambassador Bridge.

In Detroit.

Reactions: bird.LA

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
In that case, here's to the Outer Banks working out ok :cheers:

Otherwise that emoji will represent the beers I'm drinking in sweltering heat/humidity in a series of mid-Atlantic and Northeastern back yards.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
He’s right. I haven’t heard much about it being enforced at least here on Long Beach NY, but we do have a 14 day law now for most states. Its so surreal. I mean, we are going about our lives in some respects, but really we northeasterners got hit so hard and fast this spring, most people are following the mask and distance guidelines pretty vigorously. i Think I would have heard stories by now though of visitors getting fined or whatever for violating the 14 day rule, but it’s more like everyone is just playing it safe and cool anyway, so I don’t think an out of state visitor would stand out, provided of course they aren’t making an unmasked publicity stunt spectacle out of themselves like those people busted in Hawaii

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
He’s right. I haven’t heard much about it being enforced at least here on Long Beach NY, but we do have a 14 day law now for most states. Its so surreal. I mean, we are going about our lives in some respects, but really we northeasterners got hit so hard and fast this spring, most people are following the mask and distance guidelines pretty vigorously. i Think I would have heard stories by now though of visitors getting fined or whatever for violating the 14 day rule, but it’s more like everyone is just playing it safe and cool anyway, so I don’t think an out of state visitor would stand out, provided of course they aren’t making an unmasked publicity stunt spectacle out of themselves like those people busted in Hawaii
Word, but if he's planning on going to OBX, that, to me, indicates DC, Charlotte, or Norfolk is where his last plane lands.

NC, Virginia, and DC are all on both states' restricted lists.

So trying to drive around NJ in a rental car with quarantine-state plates and a quarantine-state driver's license.....sounds fun.

Imagine some poor erBBer who posted liberal lies in Politics when he used to post there, and lives in literally Santa Venice-Monica, getting a full on East Coast Karen ambush. Someone who calls people "Hon" and will cut a bitch.

• Haha

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I hear that. Despite all my antsy whining and blathering, I haven’t left Long Island. Just sounds like compounding hassles upon hassles which would result in MORE angst, not less

Reactions: mundus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah I hear that. Despite all my antsy whining and blathering, I haven’t left Long Island. Just sounds like compounding hassles upon hassles which would result in MORE angst, not less
If you want less angst, throw on Surflie's Jax Pier cam.

It's just starting to visibly show. Big moon tide; water up on the beach. It's closing out right off the tip top part of the ledge. Call it obvious thigh-waist high sets, with much longer walls than the background knee-thigh high trade swell, with clear sets.

I saw I think 5 people go on a wave, one of them got to their feet, and appeared to hit one of the four who didn't. Multiple hands-and-knees over the falls.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Cereal, look at the kid with the pink Odyssea softie under the SUP. I swear I just saw him try to wade through a whitewash without keeping his board above it. The whitewash caught his softboard, slammed it into him, and the whole contraption went over.

Now he's waffling between being 4' too far back, and standing in waist deep water with it.

He's literally sitting too far back, and leaning forward and doggie paddling with both hands to compensate for being too far back.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Are we allowed into Canada? Always wanted to hit Nova Scotia one of these years.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Are we allowed into Canada? Always wanted to hit Nova Scotia one of these years.
I don't think so.

---------------------------------------------------------

I think I just watched pink board kid give up surfing. I tried to screenshot his last wave. He pearled, and he got ran over, or almost got ran over, by someone he burned, but when I print-screened it, he was kind of in the foam and you can barely tell he's there. Then I saw a softboard going up the beach to leave, but it was surlyn-side down, so I couldn't tell if it was legit the pink panther.

Edit: here is the shot. You can kind of see him between black rash goofy foot and white rash reggie foot. His board did the pearl/eject somersault as white rashie came down the line.

Now there's a line of bathers standing basically perfectly in the way on the pier-ward side. Will try for more shots.
pinkBoardsLastAlmostStand.jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Fun here in Jax Beach as well, especially for the first day of August. Some long lines on offer. Surprisingly not all that busy up the front.

Outside sandbar in pristine order. It seemed like it was waist deep for 80 yards.

Hoping it doesn't get nuked; ESE/SE windswell blowouts tend to nuke it, but not too confident.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Appreciate the intel :shaka:

If I get the fk off at the bridge situation, I'll prob motor north and track this swell up in the Jerzee area/visit fam up that way. Either way, the forecast looks more promising than what LA has been delivering over the past few weeks.
Evac orders for Hatteras Island. Not sure if that means bridge will be closed. This is the shittiest possible storm track for waves in the mid-atlantic at least - if you are coming just for a swell, I'd wait for the next one.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Evac orders for Hatteras Island. Not sure if that means bridge will be closed. This is the shittiest possible storm track for waves in the mid-atlantic at least - if you are coming just for a swell, I'd wait for the next one.
Yeah, not looking ideal. It's an annual family trip that I never bring boards for...usually totally flat this time of year. Going to have a couple with me just in case, but expectations are low. Hoping they let me onto Bodie Island tomorrow evening. Will be keeping a close eye on the Dare Co. hurricane update site as I head to the airport tomorrow AM.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Subway, I think its kinda crazy you guys have those rules only for tourists, I mean, I feel like 1/2 you state is in VA right now and we are kind of a hotspot down here.

Bird, by all accounts it will be hitting NC, maybe at TS, maybe a 1. I'd love to help out but I have a newborn and can't travel or help much right now. We had 2-3 foot surf today, not very good;obx was 4+ and looked fun. Will get worse until it passes and then fun. but...... two more storms in atlantic now.

Safe travels.