***Official 2020 Tropical Weather Thread***

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
La Nina taking it's toll on the Cristina forecast. Not making even minimum hurricane status. La Nina will probably give the EC a more active season, for better or worse. Careful what you wish for over there.

Cooler waters southwest of Cabo will keep storms from turning hurricane status a while longer. Once a storm gets up to latitude 20 or so SW of Cabo (straight S of SD), ocean temps are still cooler than normal. Will likely have to wait until late July/August for that prime stretch of So Cal window to warm up enough to sustain hurricane strength storms.
I've read a couple articles now saying La Nina.

Southern Hemisphere can't keep dishing it out all season, can it? Been good since May.

I will be in DE/MD 10 days in Sept and 10 in October.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've read a couple articles now saying La Nina.

Southern Hemisphere can't keep dishing it out all season, can it? Been good since May.

I will be in DE/MD 10 days in Sept and 10 in October.
It has indeed been good. Models look poor following this weekend. Planning on surfing next 3 days for sure.

We need to hire a boat with a megaphone, 20 tons of beans, some underwater fans, and get Spoonfish down to Baja stat to fart in that water and heat it up to get those hurricanes moving through there.

I got 5 on it.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I've mentioned this before, but hurricane surf for So Cal is usually a romantic fantasy. Does happen, but rarely do we get a decent overhead hurricane swell in So Cal, unless it's a El Nino type summer.

So Hemi's are WAY more frequent, and the reason most summers rarely see surf drop below waist to chest high many weeks (on exposed south facing beaches). Otherwise, late summers (and winters) can go completely flat for days, if not weeks, if outer coastal wind swell also dies off.

Almost ALWAYS some kind of trace or more So Hemi swell in the water, even in winter and spring. It's the large and long set swells that are less frequent. We haven't had a solid old school 6-8 ft So Hemi swell (2x O'head+) in years, until this year. Too bad it only lasted that big for a couple days at most.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've mentioned this before, but hurricane surf for So Cal is usually a romantic fantasy. Does happen, but rarely do we get a decent overhead hurricane swell in So Cal, unless it's a El Nino type summer.

So Hemi's are WAY more frequent, and the reason most summers rarely see surf drop below waist to chest high many weeks (on exposed south facing beaches). Otherwise, late summers (and winters) can go completely flat for days, if not weeks, if outer coastal wind swell also dies off.

Almost ALWAYS some kind of trace or more So Hemi swell in the water, even in winter and spring. It's the large and long set swells that are less frequent. We haven't had a solid old school 6-8 ft So Hemi swell (2x O'head+) in years, until this year. Too bad it only lasted that big for a couple days at most.
The Year of Marie was a good one. There were several solid hurricane swells before that one - my usual was on fire, overhead to solid overhead seemingly daily. And then Marie came in and f*cked the sandbars over for at least a year or two. Bittersweet.

Darby will always be a favorite. Muggy as f*ck from it and it delivered a very solid swell. My buddy and I still laugh about how Bel Air Bay Club (i.e., inside sunslop) became a slab one of those nights.

My rule for hurricane swells is they have to max out 100+ for at least 36 hours, be closer than 1,000 miles, and have at least some NW drift to be legit. Also, if you can taste that hurricane in the air, it's a good sign.

I dunno know about your bottom claim, specifically for the "in years" part. Not denying it but still... the memory banks want to say that we had some good sh*t in that intervening period but 8'+... hmm...

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Wedge gets all the media play during the bigger So Hemi's. A decent overhead long period swell morphs into 15-20 ft faces at Wedge. Where most other well exposed south spots are lucky to see a 10 ft face max set at most. A summer swell season isn't really complete without at least one or two 2x o'head swells, hurricane or So Hemi. We've had more of those in recent summers, it seems, but many summers in the last 20 years have been denied.

And ya, Darby was a classic back in the early 90's. I lived at Dana Strands then and point was going off that swell. They have a similar problem every summer, where once a few decent souths come thru, all the sand at the point drifts north to Creek, and it goes deep and mushy/close-outs. But then at Creek......:waving:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
east coast bowling ball in alley.
Came here to post this. If that thing takes the forecast track, I don't understand how it won't be a Cat 7-8. The water, at least along the beaches, is warm enough to cook pasta. It has to be hot, and without Hispaniola/Cuba mountain ranges helping, 2-3 days between PR and FL could supersize that thing. The Bahamas just don't have the landmass or terrain to help much.

Reactions: potato-nator

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
a super-sized and a northeasterly slow track along USEC but out to sea
could be just what the doctor ordered.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
a super-sized and a northeasterly slow track along USEC but out to sea
could be just what the doctor ordered.
Keep it 400 off Hatteras at least; sooooo much sh!t winds up on the far side of the Outer Banks and is too steep to make it in, and it's the difference between North Florida getting nothing, and North Florida feeding itself, half of Orlando, most of Georgia, and all the Panhandle.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
forecast for sat in sojersey is 3ft@13sec.
sounds a bit rosy but lets hope so.
Yes last night and early today I was seeing all sorts of 5@12 for North Florida and I was like, there is approximately zero chance of that, unless the Bermuda High and this storm's winds seriously, seriously tighten the f--k up on the North side. Possible for certain, but this track = slightly more bump in trade swell, with everyone and their brother out for "the hurricane swell".

I was scrolling through some old photos, and I found one from a July/August "hurricane swell" a few years back. It was like this. Start of the swell, small storm, like two waist high waves every 30 minutes, some knee high windslop in between, onshore wind, and 93748917234987321 people out sitting shoulder to shoulder.

• Haha
Reactions: mundus