***Official 2020 Tropical Weather Thread***

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
24 hours of sun with no night time cooling tends to do that sometimes.

Today is peak sunlight levels in the Arctic.

Still waiting for our ice free Arctic summer.

Not much different at this time the last 10 years.

Last edited:

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas

Except that when the extreme heat does set in in the lower latitudes, Arctic temps will likely moderate.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Except that when the extreme heat does set in in the lower latitudes, Arctic temps will likely moderate.
Climate does that, century in, century out.

Will be waiting with baited breath to see if this is the year Arctic Ice coverage exceeds the "satellite era" (blink of eye geologically speaking) low of Sept 2012. If it does, we'll surely hear all about it.

If it doesn't even get close, well there's always next year, or next decade or next 50 years to hype it when it does.

Remember when ice free Arctic was claimed FOR SURE by summers 2013, 2014, 2015? Well, now it's pushed out to 2030 or something. One of these years. Even the 2012 low was far from "ice free" that summer.

And when 2030 comes and goes without even close to ice free, will they just add another future date, and expect everyone to believe their hyped claims of doom? Some day people will wake up to the wild claims of rapid sea level rise the next 10, 20, 30 years.

What happened to all the claims of such the last 10, 20, 30 years for today? 2020 was supposed to be a key target year for 3 feet of sea level rise back in 1990. Not even close, by any stretch. Barely even 3 inches globally those 30 years since, many areas much less.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Wait can we not pause to appreciate the gnarl factor of sharksnacks epic tale of hairball driving after a long day surfing and fishing and driving
All credit to the erBB, especially El Ogro, for helping to motivate for the mission. Would have been just another local grovel weekend.

Cristobal Saturday:

20200606_101701.jpg

Cristobal Sunday:

DSCN2323.JPGDSCN2319.JPG

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
7.7 off Oaxaca coast a bit ago.
anyone feel it down there?
NWS said no tsunami threat.

well I guess a tsunami was caused by the quake, a whopping 3.6ft!!

looks like damage done on land too.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We felt a small bump, no rattle. No damage to speak of in Mexico City according to the news. I lived in Mexico City for a couple of years and any little rock and roll and the people absolutely loose their :poop: .

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
I was there exactly a year ago today, yikes! Epicenter was 15 miles inland from El Coyul/R Paradisio and it still created a 3ft tsunami. If this thing hit out in the ocean this would be a whole different story. Those shanty towns between Barra and Astata must be wrecked.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Climate does that, century in, century out.

Will be waiting with baited breath to see if this is the year Arctic Ice coverage exceeds the "satellite era" (blink of eye geologically speaking) low of Sept 2012. If it does, we'll surely hear all about it.

If it doesn't even get close, well there's always next year, or next decade or next 50 years to hype it when it does.

Remember when ice free Arctic was claimed FOR SURE by summers 2013, 2014, 2015? Well, now it's pushed out to 2030 or something. One of these years. Even the 2012 low was far from "ice free" that summer.

And when 2030 comes and goes without even close to ice free, will they just add another future date, and expect everyone to believe their hyped claims of doom? Some day people will wake up to the wild claims of rapid sea level rise the next 10, 20, 30 years.

What happened to all the claims of such the last 10, 20, 30 years for today? 2020 was supposed to be a key target year for 3 feet of sea level rise back in 1990. Not even close, by any stretch. Barely even 3 inches globally those 30 years since, many areas much less.
You like to go off on tangents rather than just accept the best available data right in front of you.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
You like to go off on tangents rather than just accept the best available data right in front of you.
I've been "accepting" the data in front of me for almost 40 years watching the AGW theory/modeling from its infancy in the 1980's.

It's not the theory that I have problems with, it's the modeled/hyped outcomes that consistently fail in epic proportions.

Yet those fails are always forgotten and replaced with new milestones that continue to fail yet again. Sure someday we'll see 1 ft of sea level rise from a given date today. But it's highly likely not even in your grand-kids lifetimes. That's the problem I have with it.

It's all hat, and no cattle. Yet we need to tax, fee and restrict freedoms to "fight" it. $$$ better spent on fighting actual toxic pollution instead of chasing ghosts in the sky.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was there exactly a year ago today, yikes! Epicenter was 15 miles inland from El Coyul/R Paradisio and it still created a 3ft tsunami. If this thing hit out in the ocean this would be a whole different story. Those shanty towns between Barra and Astata must be wrecked.
Reports of damage in Oaxaca and Mexico City, sounds like the Huatulco area got hit.

South wind, lightning over the sea, and blessed rain drops are falling.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
93 yesterday in the high desert not much humidity though. Felt tropical and 1st summer feels leaving old man winter gone for a few!

Good luck those to the South!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Southerly/offshore flow = our very mild summer so far coming to an abrupt end.

Sahara dust cloud inbound. Not that I expected much in late June but it looks like we'll have a persistently bumped up trade swell starting in a few days. For this time of year, and given how incredibly god awful last summer was, gonna have to file that under YEWWWW!

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I've been "accepting" the data in front of me for almost 40 years watching the AGW theory/modeling from its infancy in the 1980's.

It's not the theory that I have problems with, it's the modeled/hyped outcomes that consistently fail in epic proportions.

Yet those fails are always forgotten and replaced with new milestones that continue to fail yet again. Sure someday we'll see 1 ft of sea level rise from a given date today. But it's highly likely not even in your grand-kids lifetimes. That's the problem I have with it.

It's all hat, and no cattle. Yet we need to tax, fee and restrict freedoms to "fight" it. $$$ better spent on fighting actual toxic pollution instead of chasing ghosts in the sky.
I never mentioned anything time related. All I mentioned was what I mentioned.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas

It represents more than a standard deviation less ice than the 1981-2010 median. That's fairly different.