*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
this is funny. hanging at a surf fort this morning waiting and waiting and waiting for the swell to show. turn to my buddy and im like soooo... who's gonna win? the swell which has been popping all night on the buoys but not on this reef? the south wind ahead of the rain, or the tide turning this thing into a rock dance?

we were both pretty certain the tide was going to win out... and it did
One day I will discover your mysto Bay Area reef and surf fort (did you create your own little Lunada Bay up here?) and Cheeto's epic Marin Beachbreaks.

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
visiting my parents down in ventura county over the past week, had a cracked rib a little while back, thought I'd be too injured to surf so brought my wetsuit and no boards. ended up feeling ok so surfed a few times on a log that I had stripped and reglassed back in high school, super ugly looking and no edge anywhere but surprisingly fun. surfed c street a bunch, forgot how much fun logging nice pointbreak is. mellow and pleasant vibes from a mix of both wide-eyed kooks and really good longboarders with seemingly no one in between. enough waves to go around. excited to surf a board I can actually turn on again though.

Last edited:

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Well we’re on total lock down here but eff it . Was new years so decided to go paddle at least. I was late and tide was low. Suddenly some nicely groomed peaky waves coming in at like waist highish. Kinda fun. Sort of expected. But then a few head highish sets marching in and barrels to be had. I’m sure a pro would have had a blast. I wasn’t making the drops on my fish. Damn i should’ve brought a shortboard!!!
All in all, a nice way to end the year.
Happy New Year ...‍♂‍♂1B08CDDD-4A91-496A-A2E8-5B8E06782357.jpeg

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Yeeee last session done . Was a little less consistent and sessions started out funky. Ended up getting a nice nice set wave , there was someone behind me but he got chomped by the section. Got 2 really good turns on that one.

Ended with an absolute nugget , did a ton of old man geriatric turns and called it a day.

Bye bye 2020

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Finished off the year right at a long right point. Pretty busy, but managed to pick off a smoker of a set that went at least 150m, if not more. Went to finish with a finner on the end section, and there was some deer in the headlights guy standing right there. Half of the nose of my 6'3 was gone, but I wasnt even that mad bc the wave was so good :ROFLMAO:

Ran back to the car to grab the backup board (stretch 2x4) and finished off the year on a high note!

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Last surf of the year was far from my best, kinda fitting for 2020. Went to everyone’s go to south wind spot, but got there right after it turned a bit north. Got rejected for the first time in years on my first attempt, so that was a nice start. I didn’t have long to surf but got a few. With the wind swell it was pretty funky, a few dudes were ripping but I wasnt one. Blew my best wave, I really nicely bowled up right, tried to blow the fins out and blew my back foot off instead. Oh well! Time to start the year with an 8 hour drive!

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
One day I will discover your mysto Bay Area reef and surf fort (did you create your own little Lunada Bay up here?) and Cheeto's epic Marin Beachbreaks.
Bring an 8'0" and a minor death wish.

I capped off 2020 in style - 12/30 turned epic in the late PM with a light crowd trading easy as can be barrels. 12/31 was chunky and difficult but my last wave of the year was a late drop into an overhead doubleup that triple-barreled over the subsequent sections of sandbar. I never got really deep on any of them and almost lost it on section one when I got sucked up the face (by the way, anyone have any tips/explanations for that? A little too back foot weighted, maybe?) but the endeavor was worthwhile when I kicked out of a knee high (and still barreling over my feet) runner all the way down the beach.

Too hungover today. 2021 surf season commences tomorrow.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Checked a couple of reefs and was disappointed so I took a chance and headed to an old go to spot. Showed up to some solid surf but saw two corners right away so I suited up. Waxed up the blackbird and I'm glad I did. Without being a hog I was one of the guys catching waves this morning. Nice to get the adrenaline going a bit.

Stocked.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
NZ summer holidays. Spent 3 days on the North Island Hawkes Bay coast and surfed a secluded reef point by myself, and a righthand longboard point.

Then off to a peninsula farther north, surfing thumping beach break in crystal clear 70F water. A couple of goes at a renowned estuary bar too, very solid OH and perfect today. Small takeoff area and very talented locals, but got some excellent waves.

Lots of Bronze Whalers and Makos spotted just off the bar this week, and today a young woman was apparently fatally attacked just south of here. Yikes, but I still wont freak out.

Good times.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
went to a place that aint a real surf spot, so i could surf alone
got just enough to inadvertently coax a clueless dipshit into paddling way over to exactly where i was.
at one point i am dropping in on a good left, he knew i was there, but dropped in anyhow. just enough to kick right out and prevent me from doing anything
i asked him if he was blind
i still cannot believe people this dumb exist

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
went to a place that aint a real surf spot, so i could surf alone
got just enough to inadvertently coax a clueless dipshit into paddling way over to exactly where i was.
at one point i am dropping in on a good left, he knew i was there, but dropped in anyhow. just enough to kick right out and prevent me from doing anything
i asked him if he was blind
i still cannot believe people this dumb exist

i deal with this but with 75 idiots instead of just 1