*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
trestles complex. small clean peaks. somewhat crowded so I paddled off to my own crappy peak. Managed some fun thigh to waist high runners on the 7'2" stubb vector. even managed a backside roundhouse with hand drag in the face to rebound. left after that. felt so good! everytime I ride a parmy I realize how far ahead of the curve he is with his designs. just an amazing board. Oh, and the erbb volume police can kindly fk off.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
trestles complex. small clean peaks. somewhat crowded so I paddled off to my own crappy peak. Managed some fun thigh to waist high runners on the 7'2" stubb vector. even managed a backside roundhouse with hand drag in the face to rebound. left after that. felt so good! everytime I ride a parmy I realize how far ahead of the curve he is with his designs. just an amazing board. Oh, and the erbb volume police can kindly fk off.
been on my 9-0 parmy lb most of the past couple weeks. round pin 2+1 tucked edge nose to tail. medium weight.

so good no one gets near me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Had to get in the water even though it was just a bit better than flat. Thought I spied a rideable wave at a shallow reef up the coast at low tide this afternoon. Did the awkward rock dance out into about waist-deep water and waited. Caught a 1 footer on the Gremlin, managed to weave through a couple sections as they sucked up on the reef, kicked out in about 5” over rock. Bobbed around for a few more min and nothing else came. Gave up, did the rockdance in. At 5’9 and chunky this board should be a capable groveler. Paddles like a champ at least.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
clean little jetty waves. waxed up the SMTH rocket and then changed my mind and took out the old reliable Puddle Jumper instead. that was totally the right call. there were some fun little rights and lefts but it was pretty gutless. PJ was flying all over and I ended up kind of having a blast. there was some walled up rights that had a fun end section to smash. couple other guys were out trying to surf the left which was mushier and they looked like they were struggling to make much of it. they didn't stay out long so I had it to myself for a while before a couple longboarder women showed up. it felt like it was starting to flood anyways so I let them have it. water is still cold but felt like it maybe warmed up a degree.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I’m going to chew my own arms off. Been more than a week since I’ve been in the ocean, crazy stressful transitions at work the last few weeks. I haven’t even looked at a forecast in weeks but am surfing tomorrow, one way or another. Can not WAIT for next week’s time change to feel human again.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I’m going to chew my own arms off. Been more than a week since I’ve been in the ocean, crazy stressful transitions at work the last few weeks. I haven’t even looked at a forecast in weeks but am surfing tomorrow, one way or another. Can not WAIT for next week’s time change to feel human again.
Yep. Been in moving mode last few weeks. I have surfed but it's been shithouse and I'm not going to waste further time for 2' surf (15'+ for Duffy). But next week, hopefully some swell. I need it badly.

Morning high tides are vexing, though. Now that they've replaced the morning minus tides, my Nuke the Moon to Decrease Its Mass and Tidal Influence Foundation (I need something snappier for a quality acronym) is back in effect. Accepting donations.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
surfed all week in the meager conditions but yesterday was a surprise. the sun was out the water was ultra clear, every wave on the longboard was like a glass bottom boat ride, i walked down the beach and surfed with one other guy and it was sheet glass, warm surprisingly punchy longboard peelers, got some great nose rides, stayed out for 2 1/2 hours, hopped up on a friends beach access and drank a cold one and enjoyed the afternoon. classic fall day in the hood.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Surfed actual Malibu for the first time; Surfrider or 3rd Point, I dunno, after reading about Malibu maybe it's 1st Point...whatever. The one closest to the break in the wall, the line-up was basically in front of the flagpoles at Adamson House and the best rides ended right on the beach near the parking lot, basically. Rode my 9'8" single fin. Man what a fun wave! Easy take-offs, racy insides. People were saying the shape was quite good today and I have to agree. Was surprised how few people were out. Solid 2ft on the sets but lots of water moving with the high tide, some good speed generated, long rides; haven't ridden waves that long since leaving Santa Cruz over a year ago. Water noticeably colder than a couple weeks ago, but still warm. Will return.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
rolled up to the jetty this morning. looked grovely so I waxed up the PJ but then a couple bigger sets came through so I ended up taking out the SMTH rocket w/ Drab twin + trailer. took a while to get into rhythm but I started doing pretty well on the wide, inside rights. board felt loose but fun. about 5 guys out. they didn't seem to be figuring it out for the most part except one other guy surfed for a couple hours and then came in to drink and snack. swell was building and I saw some bigger sets breaking on the outside bar so I took the Album Insanity out to try for a few of those before the tide dropped too much. running twin + trailer on this board as well. everyone got cleaned up and went in right as I was paddling out the channel. surfed alone for another hour. Insanity is such a wave catching machine. felt like cheating after riding the SMTH. really fun boar. mid section was throwing some barrels and I managed to sneak into a couple. mostly got crushed but made it out of one. got some fun turns too. eventually the sets started closing out so I bagged it.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Hit up the local rivermouth early and was feeling pretty sleepy. I wanted to take the day off but the sound of an ok swell was out the window, it was dropping later in the am, and the new board was calling for more turns. Paddling out I felt better and right when I got to the peak a set was rolling in. Turned around and wasn't expecting much but it lined up. Clean drop to 2 nice spicy snaps off the top. Fizzled so kicked out and grabbed a few more until a crossed up wind swell popped up and ruined it... but those turns are stuck in my memory