*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
walled drifty closeouts with 100 of my favorite WFH'ers. Oh joy! left after 3 waves. best part was burning the "look at me i'm sarfing" wavestormers on the sets. they were eating it anyways and wasting the waves. should've gone south as the crowds were fkn ridiculous. like a peak summer at lowers crowd but for garbage closeouts. glad i left. i'm gonna order a 7x23x3 WFHD'er as my next board given this is the new normal.

(WFHD'er = Work From Home Destroyer)
Wouldn't you want to go up in volume instead of down?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
walled drifty closeouts with 100 of my favorite WFH'ers. Oh joy! left after 3 waves. best part was burning the "look at me i'm sarfing" wavestormers on the sets. they were eating it anyways and wasting the waves. should've gone south as the crowds were fkn ridiculous. like a peak summer at lowers crowd but for garbage closeouts. glad i left. i'm gonna order a 7x23x3 WFHD'er as my next board given this is the new normal.

(WFHD'er = Work From Home Destroyer)
Embrace the Utah.

1603473396036.png

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
A couple diamonds in the rough this a.m. in NOC. GX felt great after riding the spegg last couple sessions. Amazing how a well tuned board feels after riding something not intended to shred on. A little bit of morning sickness but the 2nd and 3rd waves of the set were clean. Had a couple against the grain rights for some hackage, and one left that let me inside for a brief moment before it outran me and I met the bottom. Proper vision tho! Lots of current so the crowd was pretty spread out but felt great to get amongst some juicy waves again. This swell had some grunt to it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Jetty morning session. Offshore winds but junky swell. COLD. Both air and water. Rights were crappy but some of the lefts stood enough for a turn or two. Rode the newly arrived SMTH rocket rip off. Felt pretty spicy. Hope to get it in and the other one in some better waves soon.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That’s a great model name: RocketRipoff. LOL
Managed to sneak out for a couple waves at local reef #3 on the 7’2 Mast midlength before I had to pick up the pizza for the kids’ weekly Pizza+Movie night. Managed about 7 short high-tide rollers in about 15 min by myself (while there were a handful of dudes at the neighboring reefs). Minimal surf but beautiful sunny evening glass off and surfed in trunks. Nice to wash off a stressful week. There was even a small wedding on the grass on the cliff above. Good luck, kids!
FYI: tonight’s movie was A Bug’s Life, and it was a big hit

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Nothing epic, but a couple of fun peaks here and there.

Highlight was seeing a turtle swim by. In 30 years of surfing, it's only the second time I've seen a turtle cruise through the lineup in CA waters.
Same. Saw my 1st turtle in 40yrs of surfing last week. My first greatwhites too. A bunch of them early summer. Sea life coming back.

Reactions: jkb

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
That’s a great model name: RocketRipoff. LOL
Managed to sneak out for a couple waves at local reef #3 on the 7’2 Mast midlength before I had to pick up the pizza for the kids’ weekly Pizza+Movie night. Managed about 7 short high-tide rollers in about 15 min by myself (while there were a handful of dudes at the neighboring reefs). Minimal surf but beautiful sunny evening glass off and surfed in trunks. Nice to wash off a stressful week. There was even a small wedding on the grass on the cliff above. Good luck, kids!
FYI: tonight’s movie was A Bug’s Life, and it was a big hit
ha I was there checking out the micro surf, and decided not to paddle out ... saw that wedding going on too

Reactions: oeste858

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Finally got out to the beach with the family around noon. 1-2' with a couple 3' sets. Water was warm but otherwise cold, windy, choppy, dumpy, with rips running everywhere, mostly the kind that hold you in place rather than pulling you anywhere. Glad we had the beach shelter tent. Daughter had a rough time of it, hesitant to turn around and go, and instead stood there and got slammed quite a few times. I told her it builds character so the good days are that much better.

I didn't do much better than her. :roflmao: With all that chop (both wind and rip), using the SD with tiny fins was unwise. Should have used the thicker Senate which is like a meat cleaver compared to a scalpel. Got a few turns in between the dozen or so waves I caught but mostly a lot of hard slams when fins disengaged with the chop. Shallow too, hit the bottom more than once. Very challenging conditions. And I don't know WHAT the Wavestormers out there were thinking as none of them could even stand up and were just getting ruthlessly tossed. Foolish IMO because with how waves were breaking, the kind of days where it is really easy to get hurt.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm trying the good cop routine with WaveStormers now. "Hey, are you trying to learn? You know, the waves are better here but so are the surfers. Rather than compete with all these semi-pros who are yelling at you for dropping in, why don't you paddle to those other peaks where the waves aren't as good but the learning opportunities are far better?"

Bend their reality, gentlemen.

Edit: I'm going to try stepping off onto someone-else's WaveStorm next time I have the chance:

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I paddle around Wavestorms like they don't exist.

Although that would be hard to do in that Tamarack (aka Pray for Chastity) shitshow. The only other places in SoCal that would be more appropriate are Hospitals aka Barnival Reef and well, anywhere from Beacons to Torrey Pines. :roflmao:

For people in N. LA County, please tell me that the Wavestormers are attempting their tomfoolery at heaving Drainpipes. :jamon:

Reactions: MathDebater