*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Just me and another guy out in some pretty soupy fog. There were some waves feathering on the outside reef but both of us were on the inside reform grabbing the occasional wave that would line up.

A group of 8 or 10 bottlenose appear from the south and quickly group together in a tight ball inside of us. They were probably in 4 feet of water max. Two or three of them would occasionally dart off in one direction or the other buzzing right past us. This went on for about 5 minutes when the other surfer and I decided it was strange enough behavior to take it as a sign to make a swift exit and surf another day.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
fogged out morning here too. what you could see- tainted water, lower tide 8@8 looked like a lot of work for little gain. spent a couple hours driving checking and shining only to wind up back where i started.

tide had filled in some, sun had come out and the wind stayed down. a few clumps of touridts on the beach, couple guys casting for perch and one asian chick with a board who wasnt going to paddle. no one in the water works for me.

went for a quick 75 min session since id blown so much time dicking around. mid bars were popping a little overhead. was a bit of work bobbing and weaving a 9-0 parmy makaha style longboard through the inside. lots of current in play through the session.

im liking these solo sessions on the mid-outer bars. big playing field with no reference points or packs to triangulate off of. makes you read what the ocean is doing if you hope to do more than take a few on the head.

got bunch of bowly drops that shouldered off and a couple smokers that ran the length of the bar and spit me out in the channel. was pretty stocked all n all. only blew one that was bending away where i was a little behind it and tried to jam it around the corner and dug rail.

not too many cars in the lot when i got back to the truck. easy vehicle social distancing. so why some fucktard from auburn decided to park right on me is beyond logic. used their car for wetsuit rack while i was changing. made a good place to shake off the towel and the leash too.

dumbasses hope they enjoyed all the sand and salt i left on their windshield.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I saw two doods in hoods this morning. How will they survive the winter? I was hot in my 3/2 but would've been cold in just a wetsuit top. The struggle is real.

Ran someone over that was too busy watching me pump down the line towards them on what would've been my waves of the day. No harm was done. Got a few okay ones, I was pretty off, nothing special.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I saw two doods in hoods this morning. How will they survive the winter? I was hot in my 3/2 but would've been cold in just a wetsuit top. The struggle is real.

Ran someone over that was too busy watching me pump down the line towards them on what would've been my waves of the day. No harm was done. Got a few okay ones, I was pretty off, nothing special.
You sir, need a short arm full suit.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You sir, need a short arm full suit.
yep, perfect SoCal Fall/Spring suit. 2mil S/S full usually gets me through Nov. Then 3mil full til May (adding booties when it gets low 50s). FYI- Most guys I know who wear hoods do it for surfers' ear- not because they're babies about the cold. I can't get used to one so I use those SurfEars plugs in the winter. They seem. to work for me.

better than I thought it would be this morning. Most waves were kind of frustrating but I lucked into a wave o the day situation and scored a nice in and out barrel.
water was cold
Surprised it was alright. Knee-high and crumbly, with no face/shoulder just didn't look tempting enough this morning to blow off work, but maybe I'll check again after tide drops a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: Brsnstein and jkb

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I am a surfears person, I can't imagine using a hood for that. It would be so hot. Do they even make 3/2's with hoods? Both hoods I saw were attached. I'd have a heat stroke.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Went down to Manhattan Beach but got there a bit late, around 10am or so. Clean and fun for about 20 minutes and then wind came up and tide bogged it down. Still, had some fun.

Some dude was talking about stingrays. Fuxache, I don't need that.

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
my point is, unless you go north to where you are talking about there is no difference between where you live and where I live.

rode the keel at closed out beachbreak. couple racers but nothing to write on the erBB about.... oh wait.
Sorry missed sarcasm I was making fun how you posted water was cold burrr h20 at 69 degrees:)

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
oh no worries.

but it was about 62 yesterday. up to about 66 today and felt good.

Pretty huge variance throughout the county.

On my boat I've seen 62-63 degrees leaving the harbor then 6-7 miles up the coast at la jolla it's 70-71.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
This summer has been weird, maybe because of lack of swell? Offshore buoys have stayed warm but beaches have been downright cold sometimes the boiling days later.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
walled drifty closeouts with 100 of my favorite WFH'ers. Oh joy! left after 3 waves. best part was burning the "look at me i'm sarfing" wavestormers on the sets. they were eating it anyways and wasting the waves. should've gone south as the crowds were fkn ridiculous. like a peak summer at lowers crowd but for garbage closeouts. glad i left. i'm gonna order a 7x23x3 WFHD'er as my next board given this is the new normal.

(WFHD'er = Work From Home Destroyer)