*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
early morning of the hyped swell. still dark but terrible winds on it already, no apparant swell on webcams, i may go anyhow since its ben flat a month
its still flat here
Two worthwhile waves in an hour and even those were pretty lame

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Wasnt expecting much from this swell up in SLA and boy was I right. Pulled up to the parking lot dogpoop is an understatement. Went for a run on the bikepath, saw one or two come in that someone made look fun. Suited up just as the onshores started blowing. Probably was in the water for 15 minutes before I called it. Looked at some of the OC cams and NLA ones but didnt look worth the drive.

Some days sleeping in IS better than surfing.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Oh man what a frustrating sesh. The ground fog with evil little Mars poking its head above it was an evil omen.

Waves should have been better than what they were. Shoulder high I guess. There were corners but the waves backed off so badly, the corners pretty much disappeared. Lumpy and dumpy but not even really hollow, just crumbly. Lots of current with associated inertial slack water that was a pain in the ass to paddle against, whether for a wave or just up-current. I got a bunch of waves but most of them were crap, immediate closeouts or a corner that petered into nothing. The residual windchop from day before did not help. Alas.

My calm was not enhanced by the several times I got 000ed despite there being PLENTY of room to spread out. It's not like there were consistent peaks anywhere.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
:ROFLMAO:
WHen Kento gives it a thumbs down, you know it is far beyond the south end of sh!t
Seriously, right?!

Even though it was thigh high or something, it was actually better last week since the waves came in, gradually grew and then broke. None of this wobbly, backing off, indecisive crumble. Not a breathe of wind either.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
More cold, windy slop last night. Surfed the next cove up from last time. Better wind protection. Looked kinda fun from up top. Wedgy lefts with wind blowing into them. In reality it was unfocused and not really as good as it appeared. Chest high or so, maybe bigger on the sets but the waves just didn't have a lot of push. Should have ridden a fish. Insanity with HS1 quads felt better than last night but still a bit long and stiff (giggity). Only the second time surfing this spot and sitting out there alone with a bunch of kelp heads bobbing around me and a flock of birds diving outside I couldn't help but feel like a shark snack.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
On my way down to the beach, I walked by a dead elephant seal (I think) with its head bitten off.

Only one other guy out trading waves the whole time and holy sh!t was it fun!

A cheeky harbor seal decided I was his new best friend almost the entire session. He'd swim around me in circles, pop up and stare at me, tug on my leash and playfully nip at my booties. He scared the sh!t out of me a couple of times when everything was silent and he buzzed me at 10mph.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Ha. The surf-related day gets better. Noticed a small hole and soft part under the rail. No biggie, cut off foam, sand it all down so can repair tomorrow and what do I see but glass starting to break apart again from stringer to rail right adjacent to where a buckle was previously repaired. Just a matter of time before it snaps. Bummer but not surprising. Super light and thin board, especially for someone my size. That last late reentry into the flats - oops.

After this weekend, I should be posting in the Covid Board Need thread. :roflmao:

Crackin a beer for now. :beer: