*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Really fun 8am low tide session. Water was glassy and warm. Easy rights lining up. Still crowded (25 out) but the regulars were in a good mood and the vibe was easy. Everyone on top of each other while I picked off a few that swung just south of the main pack. Love it when that happens. Barely even got my hair wet except for a quick head dip on the inside. :p
Stocked on these fins: good balanced template, just the right amount of flex, slightly smaller center. Don't have another Futures board that is not quad or twin setup, so I don't even think I've tried them in another board.
IMG_1497.jpeg

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawned Bowls. Took the twin fin out. Super windy but there were some head high sets. Got a couple of really nice ones. Sprayed my friend I always tease. Got a nugget that I hit vert came down and hit it again but the wind didn’t help. Half my board went over but I didn’t give it the karate kick to bring it around and got blown over.

My friend Rod came out frothing on his lb. He likes to sit really close to me for some reason. A set came in and he told me to go but he kinda was in the way. I didn’t even spin told him you go. I told him you’re too close give me some space so I can whip around. A better wave comes in he was kind of arguing with me about being in the way. I told him here go. He tells me you go. I tell him it’s going to go to waste so he went. Then he paddles back out and sits right on me again. I tell just give me some space. I paddle away he chases me down to shake hands. I tell him you’re in my space again. I shake his hand and paddle away to Rockpiles before I say something I regret later. It was weird. I joke around so much he might’ve thought I was playing but I just wanted some room. Especially when he’s on his 9 ft lb. Too much board and body next to me.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Really fun 8am low tide session. Water was glassy and warm. Easy rights lining up. Still crowded (25 out) but the regulars were in a good mood and the vibe was easy. Everyone on top of each other while I picked off a few that swung just south of the main pack. Love it when that happens. Barely even got my hair wet except for a quick head dip on the inside. :p
Stocked on these fins: good balanced template, just the right amount of flex, slightly smaller center. Don't have another Futures board that is not quad or twin setup, so I don't even think I've tried them in another board.
View attachment 92669
What board is that? Looks nice...dig the color too.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I've had fun in low-tide, fairly-lully-with-occasional-flurries beachbreak on the SuperChunk
the past 2 days. Clean conditions, mostly light crowd (besides seniors trying to bodysurf
directly inside of every wave I paddled for), and beautiful weather. I'll take it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
nice!
It did NOT look worthwhile down south here with the dying swell, drained out tide, and now wind is on it, so I decided to skip it after surfing a bunch the last week. Probably no chance for me to surf again til Monday #weekdaywarrior Looking forward to picking up my new 5'9 Mitsven quad fish from Bird's then, aka pandemic purchase board 2 of 3(!) o_O LOL

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Which plugs do you use?
Hey sorry I missed your message.

I just use the Mack's plugs. The soft latex ones that you can mold. I've tried a bunch of different types and those are the only ones I've been able to tolerate. It might be time to step it up and see if there is something better.

I was just about to make a post complaining about how torturous this week has been. Light winds and combo swell. Warm air. I looked back and realize it's only been 3 days since I surfed.

I'm not cut out for this non-surfing life.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Had some good sessions lately but today takes the cake
2to4 clean and consistent peaks with the lightest crowd ever
Wave of the day was an oh right with 2 big hacks and drifting end section bash

Winning

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Another super fun day and I've been getting in a pretty decent rhythm as a result. Did the family beach day thing, got there around 9:30 or so with tide dropping and wind sickness just beginning to go away. Crowded as hell but they all left when the tide bottomed out and it turned to sheet glass. That was very convenient.

Still surfing my battered 6'6" Senate. Have had that board over 10 years now and it is still holding up. One of these days will get a new, less volume 6'6" and will feel like butter by comparison but until then, surfing that board into the ground. Waves were shoulder high to a foot overhead or so. Wind from last night created a bunch of wedgy lefts with a couple right lines but the lefts were where it was at again. Barrels with the occasional lip to crush or slash depending on how you approached the bottom turn. Was out about 2.5 hours, got about 30-40 waves or so. Very satisfied and chilling right now as Wave N Babes could only approve of.

Kicking myself though over one wave I threw myself over the ledge on. Was a perfect guttering left draining hard off the rip. Grab rail off the drop, straight down into the barrel, pull up, get spat out. Simple enough. Been sticking those all week (maybe not as much on Tuesday), got complacent. So busy admiring the view I already had that I didn't quite unweight my front foot enough and pearled to my eyebrows, eyes never leaving the exit out of that barrel even as I got tossed over the falls. Might as well keep the view as long as you have it. Kinda shaking my head paddling back out, another guy out there said, "Damn, I give you props for even going. I wanted no part of that." So I guess there was that consolation. Didn't take long to redeem myself luckily.

Last edited:

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Good times at one of my favorite combo swell spots this morning. Chest to hh with the occasional larger set, but almost too peaky. Most rights just allowed for one solid turn, but I was having a blast with that and only took one left in a little over two hours. Rode the Blindspot again and switched to the nvs apex JLs, which felt pretty good, but I think would have been better with a smaller trailer.