*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Waist high with ripping current. Spent all my energy trying to stay in position on a board that paddles badly. Blew it. Was way better down the beach and I was already gassed. But it beats sitting at home

I am officially broken, looking at ordering a fling or something because yesterday was a practice in self torture.Watching friends glide buy on fish. Galveston is so slow I give up, will throw away my pennywise CD's and start drinking wine its over.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and jkb

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
You ever keep giving a board a chance and it keeps doing you wrong. Might just go sacrifice this one for OTF so we can have a better harvest this fall

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
. Galveston is so slow I give up, will throw away my pennywise CD's and start drinking wine its over.
That’s in the gulf right? A foil would change your life. At least consider it. You’ll lose twenty pounds and surf 5 days a week.

This is a guy on south padre island.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Local looked pretty bad. Went to a high tide spot I hadn't surfed in a while and it was really walled. Paddled cause I was stuck and running out of time. got two decent waves. Kind of a wash session. at least it wasn't crowded.

Reactions: Havoc and teeroi

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Saturday saw me head to Santa Cruz.

Got there at sun-up.

Wind not perfect, nor tide, paddled out.

Waves not perfect either, but sizeable.

All together is probably why crowd didn't become intolerable.

Length of some rides makes me wonder why I ever bother with surfing in SF....one long ride is is like 5 times longer than what I get at home. And so easy to get back outside. So easy, makes you want to go on any waves close to you...if you fall, no sweat, just paddle around and you're fine.

But having to navigate the drop with people racing for the shoulder is never fun, nor is that one guy you think can't come around from behind the whitewater always does (so you need to kick out then get the angry eye when he paddles back - 'I got out of your way, you were still nursing it when I kicked out, so relax'').

Worst wave was the late drop.spin out thing with subsequent kelp lashing and the long rolling underwater sideways push..at least when you get shoved down, you can sometimes push off the bottom and get to air faster, not so with the sideways shove. Was starting to thrash when I finally got some air.

Best wave was another moment of 'Oh crap, there is someone right there, and holy hell, they are going for the shoulder, ok fine, straight down and then hard right at the rear fin of his board....and, almost pearled but didn't, and whoa, lots of speed and now I am on the shoulder, bank back and there is another person, so bank harder, and damnit, whitewater, try to bounce of it, and flail but it backs off a moment and recovery and finally a clear run but now I am bogging and there is a section ahead of me, pump that board, get slapped a little by the lip, pump, and woo, in the pocket now, then another section but this I have and drag my hand on the lip before I have a more mellow cut-back, and by now it is just headhigh and I'm flying through the longboard section as the waves wedges and sweeps in but doesn't really curl over. Very long paddle back.

Last was about about 30 minutes after my best wave, get to see an otter as I recover from the paddle, get to see some really good rides that make me feel lame about being stocked by my best wave. Try to make myself feel better by saying they are 20 yrs younger than me, but am sure a few of those guys catching great rides are 10 years older than me. Then suddenly, it me, three longboarders and a pack of rippers (out of position on the primary peak). Longboard guys are chatting about something as they paddle out to sea. First wave of the set or not, Mr Doof, what's it gonna be. I go for it, starting the paddle as the wave swings wide. Get in early this time, pop up and then nearly stall out as the wave slows as it builds before it fully breaks...seems like seconds pass as it builds/breaks, but probably less than 1/4 a second. Bumpy on the way down, my feet don't feel like they are place right, probably too far up, play it safe on the bottom turn, so a little ungainly, ok, a lot ungainly, see that lots of people are going to get mowed as I carve a line in front of them, and I am way out in front of the curl like a dork, then angle back to the exciting part as the next section looms and more people are going to get mashed so again I get to carve a line in front of them and again I get far out on the shoulder. Before I can cut back and tap into some motion, I am left behind. Sigh, so much waste. Then the rest of the set comes in, and it breaks normally, so I am way out of position to pick up scraps, not there were scraps.

Seeing how I am so fatigued, plan is to get gone before I get hurt, make my way to the inside and belly it in behind a a kid pumping madly to stay ahead of the frothing soup that is pushing me in.

On the bluff above the break, watch another set make its way across the reef, take a few deep breaths, then head to the car. I may need a latte for the drive home.

PS
Today nearly slept through the alarm. Had a dream a friend of mine at work was buying sandwiches and telling some of us to stay at our desks as he goes to buy lunch for us all. I was starting to ignore the phone when I realized it was the alarm buzzing.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Some large swell in the water. Surfed the last 3 days in a row. Lots of paddling and duck-diving and a few leg burning rides. Found out I need to work on my cardio some.
I'd love to hear which boards you guys are using in these seshs, and how they work for that day's waves. I mean, this is the Design Forum, right? :shaka:
JKB- how does the Burch Secret Agent go? Have you been surfing it a lot this winter, like as a DD if they waves are decent?

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawned Bowls. High tide, some head high waves but lots of mix in the water. South swell with the west wrap shutting some of the longer ones down. Lots of huge nw swell heading our way so looks like small wave town surfing for the next week.

Rode the twin for the third day in a row. The board is fun. Got a couple of wraps and some late drops to tag the close outs. Hopefully this swell sorts itself out and we can get good small Bowls. I don’t think I have had to alter the way I surf to ride the twin, yeah if I had to surf it knock-knee with the forever crouch I’d have to sell her. Haha

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
bigger than forecasted today. waist to HH, some bigger. rode the stamps shadow with aircore stiff fins and that freeaking boar went arrfffff. felt like the best sarfing of the winter for me. 2-3 turns per wave. most had a wall on takeoff that you'd race and then it'd open up for 2-3 turns. got a bunch of fs reos and carves that were some of the best i've done in recent memory. the kooks circled me but left me alone for the most part so I got tons of waves. completely gassed out after 2 hours. man i needed that.

edit: did my sarfing on 5'11 shadow with fcs2 aircore gam large finz.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
quick noontime sesh once the tide peaked at a local reef. Still a lot of water moving around, tricky to be in the right spot to catch, but the shoulder-high sets were fun. Think I found the sweet spot of the 5'8" Mitsven TKF and had some FS wraps and carves that felt really good on the long walls. Pretty sure this board is gonna be a go-to at this spot!

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'd love to hear which boards you guys are using in these seshs, and how they work for that day's waves. I mean, this is the Design Forum, right? :shaka:
JKB- how does the Burch Secret Agent go? Have you been surfing it a lot this winter, like as a DD if they waves are decent?
Been riding the Secret Agent exclusively since I got it. First session was at a chest to head high reef just to see how it felt. Instant connection with it and surfs really nice. I didn't expect for it to work as well as it did in smaller waves, (as I intended to use it for bigger surf) but the entry rocker is low with a slight vee so it cuts through the water really nicely and is a great paddler.

Last couple of days at the right tide there have been some double overhead peaks on take-off tapering down to some head-high walls. The board has been super fun in those conditions and is more instep with the conditions I ordered it for. Pleasantly surprised with its versatility.

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Took the Shadow out for the first time in a bit at dawn. Waves weren't stellar, but there were some
peaks here and there that stood up a little. Couple ok rights, but was more stoked on 2 lefts that
had one steep section each that I belted and stuck and another with a quick wrapping fs turn.
Made the session more than worthwhile.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
end of semester around here means i get a monday off and half the groms are up in mammoth or somewhere else out of town, 3 day weekend recap, friday got some great waves at low tide at my favorite spot and was all excited about the growing swell and good wind conditions for saturday, but then we had a family emergency mid-morning as I was waiting for the tide to drop and spent the day negotiating the inner sanctum of health care system on a weekend, (lots of people wearing masks). 7 hours later everything turned out relatively ok and took the wife out to the movies and saw 'the gentlemen', we thought it was great... woke up early sunday and went up to newport, got a few fun waves and didn't embarrass myself in front of the otf paddle out as i got a wave in while everyone was waiting to start the paddle out. got a few more and then had lunch with some of the erbb guys, glad i went, today i went back to the health care hellhole and got tubed at the hospital for 25 mins for an MRI (fuck those suck) but my dr. wants to see what is going on in my jacked shoulder, but actually its feeling ok recently as i've been doing lots of light weight shoulder exercises and Its helping, after the mri i drove straight to the beach and saw some close outs and a couple corners with a bottomed out tide but rebuilding swell, joined one friend at a right hander that was just pulling in some big sets from the new swell that was filling in and I had some of the best turns i've done on my new to me 6'0 kenson quad with the old future fins scimitar set up, trippy fins but for some reason they work for me. back to work tomorrow but then its the race to summer! yewww

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Epic 3 1/2hr session yesterday at one of the best rights in the North Island.

Long period swell. Solid OH. 200-300m rights. 2 others out, then solo. My body is wrecked today, but very very happy and stoked and deeply satisfied otherwise.

Should probably have been on the Ghost, but the Pyzalien was fast and fun and never let me down.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawned Bowls. Got a text that my NS spot was good last night but have work in town. It was great even before we left the parking lot. Two surf instructors were fighting in the dark. Turf wars. Uncle Les tried to break it up but I told him let them go Les. This has been brewing for awhile they’re two grown men. We’ll break it up if someone taps or cops
come. It was kind of a let down. Both of them didn’t want to get hit but the instructor everyone hated ate a right hook and got dropped. The other guy let him up so I knew he didn’t really have that rage. He was just tired of all the lip. Some homophobic slurs were screamed the end. Haha.

Surf was surprisingly good. There was still the west wrap but enough south from a different source that some head high waves were to be had. Positioning was still weird. You had to sit closer to the channel and inside to get the really good ones. My friend Jerome was out kinda late, he usually goes in around 7 to get to work. I asked if he had to go in right as this nugget rolled in. He said no he’s on vacay and going to Vegas this afternoon. So I whipped and got my best wave on the twin. I could’ve pulled in but was worried the tail might slide. So I took the drop late squared off and went straight up. Got a couple carves then fell way inside on the close out reo. I paddled back out and told Jerome if you said you had to work I would’ve given you that nug. Haha.