*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
another grey day. fugly morning winds but forecasted to get even fuglier so me and my friend met up for a look. lately the forecasts have been so inaccurate, usually under calling the size but at least a few feet. this morning was supposed to be 6-7 ft. but buoy was calling 9-11@13. been watching one of my favorite sand bars form up this fall and seeing potential but it's been so big lately that there hasn't really been any conditions to actually surf it. it looked pretty mean this morning but the channel was holding and occasionally there was a right that appeared decent if you ignored the knee to duffy sized wind chops running up the face. the young buck had tagged along to check it with us but he noped out after seeing one set.

to be honest i wanted nothing to do with it either but i allowed my friend to shame me into giving it a go. it was either the 6-3 Patterson or the 7-10 padillac and I opted for the 6-3 because it didn't quite look like paddy territory. the shore pound sucked and it took a while to get out but once we made it to the channel it wasn't too hard to stay out of harms way. at least until it came to actually catching a wave. it reminded me a lot of a big junky day at Haliewa. the rip wanted to pull you deep and some of the insiders looked tempting but if you tried to cheat over and snag one you could end up in a bad spot once the sets rolled through. unlike Haliewa there was no inside lagoon to retreat to if you got caught out of position but instead a flooded rocky shorepound and a narrow strip of sand at the base of the hundred foot cliff.

I shoulder hopped a couple to warm up. steep and powerful drops with no shortage of lumps to navigate in my quest for the safety of the channel. my buddy went deep and got a couple of those mid sized ones. i couldn't tell if they were any good or not. we never really ended up near each other again until the end of the session. i ventured further out and deeper and got kind of a fun one. still, not exactly a turn wave but just a big steep drop with some lumps to navigate as it rolled down the bar. the inside was a shitshow with a huge rip pulling towards the channel and some partially exposed rocks looming just inside the final closeout section. I played it pretty cautious most of the session and never really had a bad wipeout although I did end up on the inside bar after failing to make a section and some of the double ups that landed on my head were a little scary. my friend had a sniff at a late one as he was scrambling for the shoulder and ended up getting sucked over and pressed into the bottom as he told it later.

finally a decent one found me in position and I got a good entry and one really solid feeling turn. that fired me up and I wanted another one but the ocean had other plans such as large, wide sets that nearly closed out the channel. my friend was deeper than I, taking the worst of it and I could hear him crying out Mommy! in between duckdives. it wasn't that bad, we were laughing about it once the sets passed but we both agreed it was time to take one in as the winds had also picked up and it was starting to resemble something other than an actual surf spot out there. my wave in was forgettable but the mission through the shorepound was not. probably the wildest part of the session was navigating the ceaseless inside dumpers while trying to avoid the boulders and the rip that wanted to suck you back out to sea. we both made it through the shorepound gauntlet unscathed thankfully. i'm not sure if I would call it a good surf session exactly but it sure felt great to be back on land.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
the crowds are really starting to get to me - i guess its my fault for being lazy with the spots Ive been surfing lately but this sh!t is on a level I never thought possible - especially the entitlement factor of some these noobs. Had some dude tell me I burned him. I did in fact burn him - i watched him go straight like nose to the beach straight on 3 sets in a row - that other people were already riding - so yea I went lol and then he had the nerve to tell me I burned him, and that he totally woulda made the section. I said - there is no section when you just go straight! pack got a hoot out of that one.

Woulda been an otherwise ok d.p. in SLA - chestish sets, a few corners here and there - water feeling not too cold. No stand out rides on my part - just going through the motions that is surfing. Woulda been a great day for the Flare but had the trusty GX and then switched it up with this vintage OP fish ive been sitting on for a while debating if I was going to hang it or not. Thing is mad fun - but just makes me crave a tuned up Banjo even more now.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
LA thats who. these fuckers coordinate on FB, meet in the lot - compare ponchos and fake grass mats and then go straight.
they drive up 5 deep. i stopped surfing altogether bc i feel it is no longer safe with the wfh summer surfers that never left. maybe i’ll start going again in the spring when all the idiots go gack to werk

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
they drive up 5 deep. i stopped surfing altogether bc i feel it is no longer safe with the wfh summer surfers that never left. maybe i’ll start going again in the spring when all the idiots go gack to werk
You're not sucking face with them, are you? Then stop worrying about it. None of these guys are going back to work this decade. They've made work a sucker's game and likely none of these guys are going to have a family or buy a house. These Peter Pans are here to stay until you give em a reason to leave.

Now git yo ass back out there.

Reactions: Havoc

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
You're not sucking face with them, are you? Then stop worrying about it. None of these guys are going back to work this decade. They've made work a sucker's game and likely none of these guys are going to have a family or buy a house. These Peter Pans are here to stay until you give em a reason to leave.

nah. quit but gift me the parmys before the door hits you in the ass on ur way out

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

the dude that burned me on a firewire didn't like what I had to say afterwards. Never saw him after that.

this covid crap has me fed up.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
not quitting anytime soon. just laying low until vaccine gets distbd. ppl paddling out in packs sitting nut to butt in the middle of a pandemic just isnt much fun anymore when u have a family to support. lockdowns just let the idiots spread the virus while avoiding work

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
the crowds are really starting to get to me - i guess its my fault for being lazy with the spots Ive been surfing lately but this sh!t is on a level I never thought possible - especially the entitlement factor of some these noobs. Had some dude tell me I burned him. I did in fact burn him - i watched him go straight like nose to the beach straight on 3 sets in a row - that other people were already riding - so yea I went lol and then he had the nerve to tell me I burned him, and that he totally woulda made the section. I said - there is no section when you just go straight! pack got a hoot out of that one.

Woulda been an otherwise ok d.p. in SLA - chestish sets, a few corners here and there - water feeling not too cold. No stand out rides on my part - just going through the motions that is surfing. Woulda been a great day for the Flare but had the trusty GX and then switched it up with this vintage OP fish ive been sitting on for a while debating if I was going to hang it or not. Thing is mad fun - but just makes me crave a tuned up Banjo even more now.
You and Enframed need to head a little further south and avoid the sh!t show. After about 30 minutes this morning I spent the next 2 hours with my own 000 peak and no one to bother me. Surfed myself silly. That parking lot sh!t show with the wavestorm crew arriving in packs is depressing.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
You and Enframed need to head a little further south and avoid the sh!t show. After about 30 minutes this morning I spent the next 2 hours with my own 000 peak and no one to bother me. Surfed myself silly. That parking lot sh!t show with the wavestorm crew arriving in packs is depressing.
your right - i should know better and other times of the year I do drive quite a bit but when its winter and there are waves nearby its hard to drive past.. hell ive seen waves at dockweiler the last couple weeks with zero people but I never think to surf there. weekday d.p.'s this time of year were never like it is now..not even close and its not even the amount of people per say but its the incompetence thats really getting old.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
the dude that burned me on a firewire didn't like what I had to say afterwards. Never saw him after that.

this covid crap has me fed up.
Homies militant! If he' was a Millennial, that was probably the first confrontation he had in his life and he's hoping to make it his last.

I usually start these out as a question, "Why did you think it was ok to dive off your WaveStorm and let it shoot behind you without looking when that set came?" or "How did you conclude this was a good place to learn when there are so many other good surfers making it impossible for you to get a wave here?" Or "Did you know it pisses everyone off when you show up with 5 of your friends?" Try not to look annoyed/angry and ask questions. That puts them on the spot in front of everyone else and makes em have to justify themselves.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
guy he was with parked next to me and my buddy asked how his session went afterwards and said not that well. He was riding a baked potato in well overhead waves .

Super walled today and cold. Only two good waves, a nice runner at the end (last wave) with a chris brown wrap around on the GX. Other one was an air drop straight into the barrel with some good travel and vision but got pinched. Should have ridden my 6'2"

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Cold, offshore, solid overhead to DOH on biggest sets, and cold. Very shifty. A sneaky inside current pulling north, saw a couple people paddle out earlier further north. I walked a bit south, managed to time things a bit well, got through the shorebreak, into a channel, and out the back before the next set. But had it all to myself from there. Pretty challenging as wind was strong offshore, sun was shining right into the rights, and it was standing up fast with a lot of push behind it. Had to pull back on a few that I regretted doing so but got a few of the bombs that lined up all right.

Having a bit of extra foam would have been nice, hard to get into them, and that is close to the fastest I have ever ridden this 6'7". :roflmao:

Outside sandbar starting to back off, close out, so went inside for the shorebreak where a few other people had set up. Very lumpy, dumpy, and horrible paddle back out every time you got one. There were a couple grinding rights but being in the right spot was hard; no one really got any. Took a few, escaped each relatively unscathed, and called it from there.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
guy he was with parked next to me and my buddy asked how his session went afterwards and said not that well. He was riding a baked potato in well overhead waves .

Super walled today and cold. Only two good waves, a nice runner at the end (last wave) with a chris brown wrap around on the GX. Other one was an air drop straight into the barrel with some good travel and vision but got pinched. Should have ridden my 6'2"
Dude should gone with Reforest's greedy beaver! duh

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
its not even the amount of people per say but its the incompetence thats really getting old.
Way last century, incompetence in the surf was not rewarded. If you sucked, you had to make up for it with a big bag.

Waves were smaller yesterday, didn't feel like hassling with parking and peeps. So I went to ol' standby Cracks. This spot is not really a winter spot, but what the heck. Paddled out and reverse 000'd three kids, total beginners. Actually, I didn't sit on them. more like let them wash down to the next peak. Even told one kid his wave was good. His last turn bogged and I could see the frown. My comment lit him up, negative karma subtraction for me. Probably one of his best ever. Looked like he was trying to do some turns, but staying within in skill zone and not flail to fall.

Anyways, waves were about HH, just about at the max size for this peak. Caught some steep runners, but no turns. These are the kind of waves you prefer to get clean exit out the top rather than try some closeout hit. 3 kids and one adult beginner, the adult took some great end-overs. Couple of waves rolled through from the outer rocks/boils, but no way to even consider waiting for one. The larger waves from last two weeks have really pushed the bottom around, even at HH, still lots of movement and churn. This is one of those spots where longshore current heads back out due to hitting underwater reefs, could be a decent left in next few months. This spot is weird. Glassy from 11 to 12.