*** Official 2020 Billabong Pipe Masters Thread ***

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Talking about addiction and overdosing is being a total pussy?

I don't want an apology from Billabong, who cares about that.

I understand that if we only celebrated perfect people we'd have nothing to celebrate, but the guy OD'd in the middle of his career and nobody talks about it EVER.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Looks like the forecast for tomorrow got downgraded. Hopefully they can get that extension and run Christmas Eve?
Downgraded from what? It was only going to be overhead with a good chance to be shadowed by Kauai. I'm usually the one calling for the contest to finish in the time allotted but this year I wish they could finish on a big day. I'm still not too happy they wasted a whole day running non-elimination heats. They also have a problem with the girls, Wednesday may be too big for some. Ideally they could run the girls Wednesday morning and finish with the guys as the swell builds.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Somewhat related, Tammy Moniz posting about her son dealing with addiction (right after posting about Lyndie). Her and Tony usually manage the Billabong house during the winter. Seth and Josh on Billabong program.

http://instagr.am/p/CI4ydj4Dydt/

http://instagr.am/p/CI46be2jmN-/
I appreciate this post. Although I haven't had to deal with these things first hand,(not that I don't have my own vices) I do know many people who have and some of them who never gave themselves the chance to make a difference in their lives, to which we will never know, ala AI, CB, just to name a couple.

I really just want to watch the PIPE because it is so awe inspiring to see these guys surfing big gnarly PIPE. I could care less of the commentary regardless of what they talk about, but do agree that during this crazy tough year with COVID, and many, many, many, professional and non pro surfers lives ruined by all sorts of addictions, that the WSL should absolutely take the opportunity and say something. Nobody likes to hear the bad stuff....

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
So Andy Irons exists now as a cautionary tale, only to be spoken of in warning to the next generation about the evils of drugs, alcohol, and capitalism?
When Jimi Hendrix comes up, is it irresponsible and a missed opportunity if we don't mention the dangers of alcoholism and the consequences of spousal abuse?

Whether it's covid, AI, or just going outside barefoot....a lot of you are total pussies.
Not what I said, but thank you for reminding me how hardcore tattoos and really, really good boardshorts are, keiki!

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

Jimmy Slade in the first heat of the day.
Hey Harry Lopez, is it ok to talk about how many pipe masters Slater has won, or do we need to do a PSA on responsible parenting and remind everyone that he ditched his daughter first. You know, so we don't miss the opportunity to help people!

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Hey Harry Lopez, is it ok to talk about how many pipe masters Slater has won, or do we need to do a PSA on responsible parenting and remind everyone that he ditched his daughter first. You know, so we don't miss the opportunity to help people!
He gave her a shoutout during his after heat interview in the first round, what more do you want?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I think Italo's tow-in training has taken his air game to another level, if that's even possible. He just looks so comfortable and consistent on anything but the most critical sections. And even then he's approaching them with no hesitation. Fun to watch. :jamon:

Reactions: jkb and mundus

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
They're not the prettiest but they're often the most chaotic. Damn he's an air freak.

Reactions: sizzld1

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Maybe I’m late making this point, but it’s about time the WSL is streaming live on YouTube. I can’t believe they went years without this option. Such a no brainer

Reactions: CutnSnip and jkb