*** Official 2019 Community Surf Journal ***

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Today was peaky and cleaner sets than yesterday. I paddled out around 7:00 and had a solid hour of fun! I rode the Black Vulture and was not disapoint. I absolutely love this frickin board! The offshores were consistent and helped to hold up the peaks just long enough to make a few late dropins. Never got barreled but had some nice snaps and carves. The only downside was a fin slice over my achilles tendon. Thankfully it's shallow and only a superficial cut.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Dropped off significantly from yesterday morning to today at the spot I was surfing. Almost half as big. Maybe a tide issue, but I kept thinking, "there have to be bigger sets breaking occasionally."

There weren't.

Grabbed the GMM2 and did some full speed roundhouses. All the county bros decided that today was the day to surf, I guess. Maybe it was because it was a bit more user friendly for them, but damn there were a lot of people and they all decided to sit within 10 feet of me. :cautious:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Visited my brother in Portland for a day and then drove out to the coast today to surf one of the more popular hike in spots. Got there pretty early so the crowd wasn't too bad. Waves were actually really fun. Rode my Stamps Twin fish and got about fifty waves. Warm, clear water. Sunny, no wind. Not a bad day other than the six hour drive home after the session. At least the roads were mellow. Tourists are thinning out finally!

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Today is definitely smaller but there were still chest to HH sets rolling in. Offshores were a little brisk but the sunrise warmed things up nicely. I had a ridiculous amount of lefts with lots of speed and snaps off the top. About halfway through the session I managed to pull off a picture perfect barrel with a clean exit just as a another guy was paddling out. He gave me props for that one. :shaka:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It's a miracle from the sweet baby Jesus himself!

Somehow the conditions aligned for me to surf 9x in the last 8 days........all while having a wife, 2 kids under 5, a 9-5 job, and living in a sh!t surf zone like NCSD.

I know. Impossible, you say. But there must have been divine intervention if this was allowed to transpire.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Swell is winding down for sure. Snagged another good one last night but the rest of the session was kind of meh.

Pretty stoked on the amount I got to surf over the last 5days, none the less. It’s been a slow summer.
This.

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Drove by Bowls this morning to dump some rubbish bags in the dumpsters there. Waves were firing. A little overhead very light wind so it had a bump on it. Wasn’t expecting that. No board. Saw some friends in the parking lot. They were surprised too. Came to work instead. But going to try to dawn it tomorrow. Hope you guys are getting some surf too. Shootz.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Rode the 7' G&S singlefin in clean, peaky waist to chest sets today. Wasn't too bad. Still looks clean out there, I might go for round 2.

Reactions: Aruka and teeroi

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Small runners at my local last night. Wasn't really expecting to surf so I didn't have my fish and despite my house being 2 min. away I stubbornly decided to just take the Phantom out. First couple waves sucked and I felt like I was sinking and getting stuck behind the fast little waves. I totally dig this board but it really doesn't grovel that well. Almost just bagged it after a half hour and few waves of note but then a buddy paddled out so I stayed a bit longer and then I think the tide started pushing because a few fun ones came through. The wind began to die and the surface bump dissipated and a few bigger sets with nice corners came through we each a bunch of really fun waves. This was my friend's first session since his back went out a few weeks ago so he was just frothing to be in the ocean again and his positivity was infectious. I told my buddy how the waves sucked before he came out and he must have some good karma or something. I'm glad I was around to partake in his reward. Ended up staying out until near dark and finished my session with a fun bowled up right that allowed for a few turns.

This afternoon I surfed up North at a kind of odd but sometimes fun cove spot. Waves looked super fun from the cliff and there was no one around so I suited up and ran down. I think the tide was sucking out and killing the energy because I didn't see more than a couple peaks that looked anything like what I saw from the cliff. Chased my tail for an hour and while I didn't get too many good waves I did feel like I surfed the ones I did get pretty well. That didn't really lessen the sting of what was overall a pretty lame session. I'm fine now but it's embarrassing how salty I can get over a bad session like that.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawn patrolled my regular. Of course everyone was telling me,”wea you wuz? Waves was firing yesterday.”

This morning wasn’t as good. Super high tide with no wind and a crossed up swell. I think the any trades would’ve helped sort it out faster. The high tide was keeping it slow. But there were some fun ones and the occasional head high set. Last wave I got a wrap in front of the boys and I did a little figure 8 cutty with a backside off the lip rebound. Probably not anything to look at but it felt good. On the rebound I reminded myself lift up the nose.

Had some donkeys out. Snaking and a kook beginner on a longboard. It was great I find the have to say anything one of the uncles yelled at the logger and one of the younger guys burned the snake then told him why he got stuffed. There still hope for this world.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The hot streak continues!

Surfed 13x in the last 12 days. I'm coming for you surfcat!

This morning was small and the tide was a bit too low, but it was the first day since the beginning of summer that I've had my regular spot to myself without anyone else paddling out.

Despite the imperfect conditions, it was glorious just to sit in the line-up alone in a pair of trunks and watch the sun rise and the moon set as I slid around on some waist high peaks without an ounce of concern about kooks getting in my way or attempting to backpaddle me.

I'll take it.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Didn’t surf this morning but looks like there’s some surf.

But I got a shot on @pointnshoot808 IG. Must be from last month. Give him a follow he post a bunch of surf shots everyday. Hi performance stuff and Queens logger action.

Don’t know why the pic posted twice. Tried to edit it. Oh well. Wish I got two waves like that for the price of one. Hah

9FB4F30A-F1E7-4B7F-95A3-D32E82FC7999.jpeg9FB4F30A-F1E7-4B7F-95A3-D32E82FC7999.jpeg

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Got a handful of fun, peaky lefts at dawn. Most waves would section quickly and shut down in front
of you, but a got 5 or 6 on the Manta where I was able to get speed on the takeoff, fly past that
shut-down section, and connect to the next peak and down the line. I'll take it...and the warm water
continues to be f-ing amazing.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
heck yeah teeroi!

it's been raining here off and on for a few days. with the rains come South winds which isn't ideal for anywhere in the bay but as long as the swell size isn't extreme there is a few possibilities to be had in either direction. my best friend has been Tuna fishing for the past month but he's back and we've been hunting around for open beach slop the past few evenings. it's been so fun to surf some juice at some of my favorite spots with a buddy instead of alone. I like surfing alone but when it's a wide open beach it really helps to have another good surfer to help hone in on the best part of the sand bar. my buddy's never met a closeout barrel he doesn't like so it always helps me get pumped up to send it on some heavy ones. yesterday evening was pretty rad. wind was shifting to the east as the sun went down, holding some of them open nicely. not easy to be in the spot but I got a few good ones.
https://flic.kr/p/2hgV18F https://flic.kr/p/2hgV17U https://flic.kr/p/2hgV1dA

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Air was cool this morning and the water is starting to dip a little. Still in trunks and a jacket myself, but the 6 other guys that paddled out decided fullsuits were the call.

Still something rideable everyday lately, which I'm stocked about. I leave for Fiji in a week so I'm trying to keep in tip-top surf shape.........well, as tip top as you can be for someone who has officially reached old man status.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Glad you guys are scoring. Yeah Aruka your bar looks fun. We got waves here, shoulder to head high, but the dawn patrol tide is super high. Which makes the wave soft and inconsistent. Been passing so I can get work done. But a slightly bigger south with better dawn tides forecasted for Friday and thru the weekend. Plus winter is coming.

jkb Bula and have a great trip. I miss going to Fiji.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Glad you guys are scoring. Yeah Aruka your bar looks fun. We got waves here, shoulder to head high, but the dawn patrol tide is super high. Which makes the wave soft and inconsistent. Been passing so I can get work done. But a slightly bigger south with better dawn tides forecasted for Friday and thru the weekend. Plus winter is coming.

jkb Bula and have a great trip. I miss going to Fiji.
Thanks teeroi!

Really looking forward to it!