October Surf Trip

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
I got the go ahead for a trip in October for my buddy’s 40th. Trying to figure out where to go. We only have around a week, maybe a little more. I have my spots in Costa Rica and Nica but I’m worried about going in October. We could do Puerto Rico but I go all the time and it can be crowded and flat. I’m seriously concerned for my buddy’s mental health he works so much and needs an uncrowded wave feast or I fear he could harm himself or someone else. Haha

You don’t have to give me specific spots unless you want to DM me but even country or region would help.

Thx

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Additional info: we wear 6 mil suits most of the year so somewhere where a 3/2 or 4/3 is required is fine. We need the wave feast more than warm water. We’re fine roughing it if that means waves. Don’t care about luxury.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Could you make it a last minute call and go wherever the surf's good?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
France, assuming you can avoid the tour. Rent a flat and a car, could easily be done for the price of centro at that time of year :beer:

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
grapedrink said:
France, assuming you can avoid the tour. Rent a flat and a car, could easily be done for the price of centro at that time of year :beer:
I like the sound of that and never been to France. October is actually usually good at home...

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
rowjimmytour said:
El Salvador or Mainland Mexico warm water less crowds or quick strike on Chile.

I also like the sound of mainland Mexico. In October though?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I've only done mainland Mexico in June/July but there are definitely south swells still running in October. El Salvador is a great option is you want right points. The areas of Mexico I am familiar with are left points.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
trevorbc said:
grapedrink said:
I like the sound of that and never been to France. October is actually usually good at home...
Yeah its prime time here too, which makes it tough to justify. That said, it's still well worth it :beer:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Over the last 24 years the best waves in my area, both size and quality wise, have been in October.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
October has always resulted in my best surf in the Huatulco and Salina Cruz area.

Overhead every day. No brainer here.

The surf camps in Salina Cruz are a good call. Plan B that I like better is staying at a resort in Huatulco and hiring a guide.

Your trip. You control where and when. Not part of a van full of 8 others.

Hit me up if you want details.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I went to Mainland in October once; normally go in August. Surf was pretty good the entire time, meaning head high to overhead tubes; I've had smaller surf on some of the August trips.

Bonus could be potentially good sediment situation at the end of the rainy season. It was for me.

You can wing a zone like Oaxaca. If you get "skunked" Puerto will be head high spitting tubes, if there is actually a swell, sand points.This is a big advantage of Mainland. Centro wants/needs swell.