Octafish

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
Anyone have or ridden an Octafish? I trying to decide between a twin keel or the bonzer 5 Octafish. I realize they are two different animals. Any feedback...?

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
always wanted to sample an Octafish

TK on his Octafish at OTW
[img:center]http://bonzer5.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Octa1-660x368.jpg[/img]

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
love my twin keels, love my octafish...both are versatile, timeless designs. it's a tough decision, which is why i have both. they kinda fit in the same niche in the quiver, too. different feels, though. twin keel-a bit more cruisey, octa-a bit more like a hpsb.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
If you ride steep waves with a lot of push, Octafish is great. It's not a groveler, though.
Keel will go in anything, knee to overhead.

Depends where you surf.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
I was the crash test dummy for the first one. The O-Fish was the result of me spending a winter largely on a twin keel. I had fun on it, but there were some limitations and for me, trying to switch back to non-fish board in serious waves was something of a problem for a few waves. So the idea was to keep certain aspects of the fish but make it more versatile and easier to transition off of.

This is me being shy with O-fish #1

About the only change made to subsequent OF was the tail was narrowed a bit. If I did another one now I think I would stick with the wider tail. It groveled pretty well and I could still surf ten foot faces with it fine. Although in tiny waves I would use a 7" cutaway and then switch to Malcolm's 7" center fin as the waves improved.

I rode that board until the deck-side glass split over the stringer. Should have never sold it.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
You got that thing? I believe I threw it into the consignment rack at VSS and it was gone almost immediately.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
O.T. said:
GWS said:
You got that thing? I believe I threw it into the consignment rack at VSS and it was gone almost immediately.
No. :roflmao: I borrowed it from you. TFAD and I Had it for awhile.
I did?

That was nice of me.

I'm a hell of a nice guy.

I don't care what I say about myself.

:smokin:

mommy...

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
For me, my Octa goes better on my backhand than my twin keel. My octafish doesn't have the loose soapy speed of my twin keel (not many boards do). I prefer my octafish in a wider range of ocean conditions (can handle wind and chop better).

emissions

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 8, 2004
NS
The video of that TK shot is even better..

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="true" data-href="/duncan.campbell.3388/videos/vb.1264912512/1768299808352/?type=1"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="/duncan.campbell.3388/videos/1768299808352/"><a href="/duncan.campbell.3388/videos/1768299808352/"></a><p>Say something about this video...</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/duncan.campbell.3388">Duncan Campbell</a> on Saturday, December 25, 2010</blockquote></div></div>

emissions

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 8, 2004
NS
<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="true" data-href="/duncan.campbell.3388/videos/vb.1264912512/1768299808352/?type=1"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="/duncan.campbell.3388/videos/1768299808352/"><a href="/duncan.campbell.3388/videos/1768299808352/"></a><p>Say something about this video...</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/duncan.campbell.3388">Duncan Campbell</a> on Saturday, December 25, 2010</blockquote></div></div>

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Good point, there's definitely a backside advantage with Octafish over a keel, in fact I loved it backside. The last time I surfed Swarmies it was on an Octafish. Haven't been back there since. :roflmao:
Had a good time at Abreojos on it too, few years back.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
To further complicate... I prefer my mblv over my octafish on my backhand. Mblv is a bonzer three. Octafish is a bonzer 5. Octa is 6ft. Mblv is 5'10". Still playing with fin size and position on both.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
When I had the above referenced keel fin fish in my truck, I got a ride onto a certain restricted surf spot and it was the kind of thing where I had to go now, no time to go home and switch boards. Predominant left (I’m regular) throwing hard and well overhead. I embarrassed myself. The next day I got a ride in as well, only I had time to pick a more standard HP Bonzer shape. I redeemed myself. At that point the wheels started turning and I got interested in combining aspects of both shapes. So I drove by Malcolm’s shaping room and apologetically asked him if he would consider my request. He was enthusiastic about it. Not just open, but enthusiastic. So it got put together. So yeah, the backside thing was a large part of the inspiration.

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
Our waves tend to be more "slopey" and not very steep or pitching. Advantage, twin keel
I surf almost exclusively backside. Advantage, Octafish

Maybe a wider tail Octafish would be a good choice.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Yeah I gotta agree with njsurfer. As much as I love my Bonzers, I have a few quad "alt shapes" (gotta be a better term) that are my go to for fat faced slopes. All have flat inside foils. None have controller style fins. Of the three I'm currently enjoying a josh hall long fish Simmons the most. For slopey waves I'd say ditch that center fin.