Octa-Merk vs Mini Merk

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
What are the main differences? As I understand it, an Octa-Merk is essentially just a Mini Merk w/ an Octafish back end...so a straighter rail in the back third of the board?

My 5’10” Octafish was one of my favorite boards of all time & I’m just wondering if there’s a way to adapt it to slightly bigger/better surf before breaking out my 6’4” Shelter. I have a 6’1” Merk now, which is fun, but nearly every time I ride it, I can’t help thinking that something else would’ve been better/more fun.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Had an Octa-Merk after loving the Octafish, but it just didn't click with the waves near me. Felt like the narrowed tail just took away from the drive of the 5 fin bonzer, Swapped it with the Mini Merk and the fuller tail definitely worked better in slopey surf.

Have you considered a biscuit bonzer? I got one of Noel Salas test boards from his review, its a bit longer and narrow than a stock one at similar volume. It has a lot of range and is a good daily driver.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Were you trying to use it as a daily driver? I’m more interested in the Octa-Merk as a kind of mini step up for when the waves get better before busting out my rounded pintail Shelter. My old 5’10” Octafish was a magic dd. It had a spark that my current 6’1” Mini Merk just doesn’t have.
I’d never thought about the biscuit bonzer at all before...seems like a fun groveler, but that’s not what I’m after.