Oceanside Wave Pool -- The Boardroom Show Podcast

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Pretty interesting podcast from Scott!
I think the Oceanside Boardriders members should get first opportunity to test the pool before it opens to the public! :p
Mike Grehl is senior vice president and says it will be open by the end of 2020 maybe beginning of 2021!! Not that far off!
He also mentions an 8ft wave! :oops: That would be pretty sick!

Scott probably talks more than Mike (which is kind of a bummer because I wanted to hear what this guy had to say) but if you like podcasts, this is a good one.

:)

Heres the link.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think the Oceanside Boardriders members should get first opportunity to test the pool before it opens to the public! :p
This is a great idea.

Ban them to the wavepool.

The ones I've seen didn't know how to behave in a real lineup.

It was funny to see them wearing their t-shirts around though.

"Hey, are you from San Diego!?"
"Eh, no English, hehe, no English sorry."

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Scott probably talks more than Mike (which is kind of a bummer because I wanted to hear what this guy had to say) but if you like podcasts, this is a good one.
That's great but what kind of tea was he drinking?

• Haha
Reactions: trevorbc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Did they say what technology they’re using? I don’t really want to listen to the episode.
Link below says Surf Loch or WaveGarden Cove, only current as of June 2019. I am not sure if Surf Loch or Wave Loch has an actual wave pool; from what I could see it appears to be flowriders and artist renderings. Maybe I searched poorly.

WaveGarden Cove there are videos of.

I'm listening to the podcast now. It reminds me that I just don't really like pocasts/talk radio all that much, but all I've found out so far is the Zephyr guest or whoever the guy is sounds exactly like every person East of I-5 thinks surfers sound like.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Okay so the discussion of the pool tech doesn't seem to add any updates to the link I found above. The guy has surfed a fair few of these things, and he says Kelly's wave is weird to bottom turn on and the goods don't flow like Waco and you need an assload of land.

He says the WaveLoch concept he expects to be up "on the East Coast" in short order and he's seen some small scale models or something. Maybe that's the GromsDad/Hal9k surf off venue? I dunno I forget maybe that pool was a WaveGarden tech. But there's no youtubes of Slater or Parko or whatnot at Wave/Surf Loch.

Seems like pool tech talk starts at 12-14 minutes, and around 22 minutes he straight up subway's Bassy saying that he doesn't have the answer to your (and Bassy's) question.

Reactions: Hdip and FARTHAMMER

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Seems like something he'd want to know the answer to. The latest pool in Oz is wavegarden tech. In the video of Parko from last month, it looks pretty fun.
I'm also curious about the competing pools in Palm Desert. Looks like Kalani Robb is working on one in the old Oasis water park venue, and Shane Bechsen's group just got city approval to begin one a different site there.

Last edited:

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
i live nearest to this forthcoming wave pool as compared to anyone else here.

i claim loc status regardless of whether i even dip my little toe into the water.