Oceanside Wave Pool -- The Boardroom Show Podcast

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
Sadly, the question that really concerns those living around the area is increased Traffic. I live a mile away (luckily South west) and use the 76 to head east a few times a week for recreational purposes. I can't imagine what the people that live east of here and travel west daily to work are thinking. The traffic is already horrendous during rush hour on the 76. I think Scott really missed the ball on this topic. It was a perfect setting to discuss with Mike. See the Union Tribune Article from September 2019:

Union Tribune article

"Environmental documents filed with the city show the project would create 19,118 daily vehicle trips after development. "

REALLY? 19,000 vehicle trips per day. Holy Balls thats a lot of cars. Hopefully someone from Zephyr can answer how they are going help with this traffic issue? It seems everyone that doesn't live along the 76 Corridor is super stoked, as they won't have to deal with this congestion on a regular basis, and are getting a wavepool in striking distance. Hence the reason Scott never even thought to bring the question up. It's funny that he, David and Chas (on their podcasts) constantly talk about investigative type journalism in surfing, but when it comes to the perfect time, drop the ball.

I'm still on the fence about wave pools. With wave pools, surfing is now skating or any other static sport. How many times can you grind that coping or throw a ball through that hoop. It's the dynamics of surfing that causes the addiction. The fact that you are going to have shitty sessions and epic sessions, which can sometimes only be separated by hours. It's the reason we have that travel bug and set up our lives (as much as possible) to get good surf. I'm sure it's fun as hell, and have lots of friends that have shared thier stories with me. IMO, If the playing field is static, boredom will set in. But, as I get older, and can spare a couple duckets on fun, I'm sure I'll be biking down the hill to partake in the boredom. Especially if I have to deal with the traffic congestion on a regular basis. Hopefully one of my kids will get a job there (Mike if you are reading this, they are good workers).

So my question to you Zephyr, what are you going to do about the traffic?

Just my take? Any input Oceanslide and Casa?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sadly, the question that really concerns those living around the area is increased Traffic. I live a mile away (luckily South west) and use the 76 to head east a few times a week for recreational purposes. I can't imagine what the people that live east of here and travel west daily to work are thinking. The traffic is already horrendous during rush hour on the 76. I think Scott really missed the ball on this topic. It was a perfect setting to discuss with Mike. See the Union Tribune Article from September 2019:

Union Tribune article

"Environmental documents filed with the city show the project would create 19,118 daily vehicle trips after development. "

REALLY? 19,000 vehicle trips per day. Holy Balls thats a lot of cars. Hopefully someone from Zephyr can answer how they are going help with this traffic issue? It seems everyone that doesn't live along the 76 Corridor is super stoked, as they won't have to deal with this congestion on a regular basis, and are getting a wavepool in striking distance.

Welcome to my world - going through the exact same thing in my neighborhood now (minus the wave pool).

You need to get involved and start going to the planning meetings. Strength in numbers. There is likely an opposition group already in place - check NextDoor - who know the ins and outs.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
So I'm wondering if the Union Tribune got this number wrong. I'd have to find someone that deals with environmental planning. In reviewing the plans, which you can do here:

Zephyr Oceanside LLC plans and documents

Under the City of Oceanside Planning Division Environmental Information Form it says under line 56, "Estimate the number of Motor Vehicle trips generated after development 19118. It doesn't distinguish anywhere that this is a daily, monthly, or annual number. I'm having a hard time accepting that this is a daily amount. Someone that is smarter than me and knows about planning and these types of forms would have to answer this question. Maybe I'll send an email off to the City Transportation Planner, John Amberson, 760-435-5091 jamberson@oceansideca.org

Funny thing I also found, they are using a traffic report done 03/01/2008 by RBF Consultants, I guess it's attached somewhere EIR appendix 3, which I couldn't find (or didn't care to look further). But 2008, really? Yea not much has changed in the last 12 years in San Diego in regards to traffic and development?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Union Tribune article

REALLY? 19,000 vehicle trips per day. Holy Balls thats a lot of cars. Hopefully someone from Zephyr can answer how they are going help with this traffic issue? It seems everyone that doesn't live along the 76 Corridor is super stoked, as they won't have to deal with this congestion on a regular basis, and are getting a wavepool in striking distance. Hence the reason Scott never even thought to bring the question up. It's funny that he, David and Chas (on their podcasts) constantly talk about investigative type journalism in surfing, but when it comes to the perfect time, drop the ball.

I'm still on the fence about wave pools. With wave pools, surfing is now skating or any other static sport. How many times can you grind that coping or throw a ball through that hoop. It's the dynamics of surfing that causes the addiction. The fact that you are going to have shitty sessions and epic sessions, which can sometimes only be separated by hours. It's the reason we have that travel bug and set up our lives (as much as possible) to get good surf. I'm sure it's fun as hell, and have lots of friends that have shared thier stories with me. IMO, If the playing field is static, boredom will set in. But, as I get older, and can spare a couple duckets on fun, I'm sure I'll be biking down the hill to partake in the boredom. Especially if I have to deal with the traffic congestion on a regular basis. Hopefully one of my kids will get a job there (Mike if you are reading this, they are good workers).

That number sounds wrong. But there will be homes, day trippers, staff, and vendors moving in and out on a daily basis. Not to mention that they will also be added into the new 1000-2500 people living in the South MOrro Hills development around the same time, further increasing 76, College Blvd, El Camino, and 5 traffic. 76 was widened in the last few years in Bonsall/Fallbrook area, but it won't be enough.

Scott is a strange guy that is definitely live in Cardiff, not Oceanside. Development like this is just a fun park freebie and potential money maker for him. He has zero investment in Oceanside other than picking up boards in an industrial park that will likely be rezoned into residential housing at some point on the back of this development. Not to mention that most of his interviews are opportunities for him to shove half cooked ideas into the discussion, rather than focusing on the interview subject.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
BTW, City Transportation Planner, John Amberson, 760-435-5091 jamberson@oceansideca.org has retired. His interim replacement is Teala Cotter, her email is TCotter@oceansideca.org

Here is a copy of the email I sent them:
"I was doing a little research and going over the plans for the Zephyr Resort Ocean Kamp planned for the old drive in site. I live just above and southwest of the development and use the 76 frequently. I found on the City of Oceanside Planning Division Environmental Information Form, Estimate the number of Motor Vehicle trips generated after development is 19118. What kind of number is this, daily, weekly, etc. Also I noticed that the traffic report that they submitted was from March 1, 2008 by RBF Consultants.

Couple of thoughts that come to mind:
1) Are they planning to do any infrastructure to help alleviate the increased traffic on the 76 due to this development? The 76 is already a parking lot during rush hour and most of the weekend. Maybe widen the 76 to three lanes from Interstate-5 to five miles east of the resort? I know that sounds crazy and improbable, but that is what needs to be done now, without the resort.

2) Are they going to have to submit a more recent and updated traffic report. The one from 2008 is outdated as development and increased population along the 76 corridor and inland have skyrocketed.

Look forward to hearing from you, "

As for Scott, He is a pretty good friend of mine that I have been surfing with for many years. I'm just busting his balls. Next time I see him, I'm sure he'll just look down and shake his head with a smile on his face. Then proceed to snake me. Just kidding Scott. I know you would never do that!

Reactions: deforestcooper

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
BTW, City Transportation Planner, John Amberson, 760-435-5091 jamberson@oceansideca.org has retired. His interim replacement is Teala Cotter, her email is TCotter@oceansideca.org

"I was doing a little research and going over the plans for the Zephyr Resort Ocean Kamp planned for the old drive in site. I live just above and southwest of the development and use the 76 frequently. I found on the City of Oceanside Planning Division Environmental Information Form, Estimate the number of Motor Vehicle trips generated after development is 19118. What kind of number is this, daily, weekly, etc. Also I noticed that the traffic report that they submitted was from March 1, 2008 by RBF Consultants.

1) Are they planning to do any infrastructure to help alleviate the increased traffic on the 76 due to this development? The 76 is already a parking lot during rush hour and most of the weekend. Maybe widen the 76 to three lanes from Interstate-5 to five miles east of the resort? I know that sounds crazy and improbable, but that is what needs to be done now, without the resort.

2) Are they going to have to submit a more recent and updated traffic report. The one from 2008 is outdated as development and increased population along the 76 corridor and inland have skyrocketed.

As for Scott, He is a pretty good friend of mine that I have been surfing with for many years. I'm just busting his balls. Next time I see him, I'm sure he'll just look down and shake his head with a smile on his face. Then proceed to snake me. Just kidding Scott. I know you would never do that!
*edit. I thought that this was sent to the developer.

Those a great questions.....

For you City Council Representative. Do you know who yours is? Sounds like you are District 1 or possibly a little corner of 4

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Funny thing I also found, they are using a traffic report done 03/01/2008 by RBF Consultants, I guess it's attached somewhere EIR appendix 3, which I couldn't find (or didn't care to look further). But 2008, really? Yea not much has changed in the last 12 years in San Diego in regards to traffic and development?
Ha! I was an intern doing traffic counts back then. I have not looked at the EIR or anything but the likelihood is they are using old traffic counts in the EIR because of how long the EIR takes to produce (from soup to nuts). However the developer shouldn't be using it unless they are doing some serious escalation which is fully laid out in their projects planning docs.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com

Great email to the City. Its nice to see that you proposed some sort of solution rather than just criticized and complained like most do. Let us know how they respond. Im guessing those figures are weekly, or possibly traffic both east and west bound daily. 9,559 drivers west bound a day and 9,559 drivers east bound a day could be a possibility?

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA

Union Tribune article

Guess we'll have to see how it impacts traffic for us nearby...I'm sure it will be way more congested going around
Foussat/76. Luckily I go the opposite direction of morning traffic, so that won't be an issue for me, but doubt it would
have too much effect on the morning commute since shops/restaurants, wave, etc. won't be open that early.
Afternoon commute could have a big impact though.
I'm hoping there are some good eateries included and the place is more upscale than most of Oside's commercial
areas. IMO, better than the f'ing swap meet that's been there forever.

Reactions: deforestcooper

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
The city got back to me. One thing I love about the City of Oceanside, is that they get back to you and also do a great job with city services. They said that 19k visits per DAY is the correct estimate. They also said that a new traffic study is being done and they will give recomendations accordingly. With that being said, Caltrans is not planning, nor has the budget to expand the 76, so that is a no-go. So realistically, the only recomendations they would be able to give, would be directly around the project, which wouldn't help the 76, or they could just deny due to traffic concerns (which we know they will definately not due unless there is a huge public outcry). It's going to be a fuckfest and I'm a bit shocked that those living directly in the corridor and use the 76 daily aren't fighting this already. I have searched Nextdoor app extensively and it comes up with relatively little info that we all haven't already heard. Like I said above, I'm not Pro or Con wave pool, I just don't want it to effect my daily life so everyone in Encinitas and Orange County can have a local wavepool. If it were proposed in a good location a mile away from my house, that had the infrastructure to support it, I'm all in. Otherwise, I can drive to Palm Springs if I get the itch.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The city got back to me. One thing I love about the City of Oceanside, is that they get back to you and also do a great job with city services. They said that 19k visits per DAY is the correct estimate. They also said that a new traffic study is being done and they will give recomendations accordingly. With that being said, Caltrans is not planning, nor has the budget to expand the 76, so that is a no-go. So realistically, the only recomendations they would be able to give, would be directly around the project, which wouldn't help the 76, or they could just deny due to traffic concerns (which we know they will definately not due unless there is a huge public outcry). It's going to be a fuckfest and I'm a bit shocked that those living directly in the corridor and use the 76 daily aren't fighting this already. I have searched Nextdoor app extensively and it comes up with relatively little info that we all haven't already heard. Like I said above, I'm not Pro or Con wave pool, I just don't want it to effect my daily life so everyone in Encinitas and Orange County can have a local wavepool. If it were proposed in a good location a mile away from my house, that had the infrastructure to support it, I'm all in. Otherwise, I can drive to Palm Springs if I get the itch.
Sounds rotten...

I'd make a curious-toned post on NextDoor asking if anyone has any feedback on that 19k number and say you were surprised to learn there would be no infrastructure updates.

See where that goes.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
With that being said, Caltrans is not planning, nor has the budget to expand the 76, so that is a no-go. So realistically, the only recomendations they would be able to give, would be directly around the project, which wouldn't help the 76, or they could just deny due to traffic concerns (which we know they will definately not due unless there is a huge public outcry). It's going to be a fuckfest and I'm a bit shocked that those living directly in the corridor and use the 76 daily aren't fighting this already. I have searched Nextdoor app extensively and it comes up with relatively little info that we all haven't already heard. Like I said above, I'm not Pro or Con wave pool, I just don't want it to effect my daily life so everyone in Encinitas and Orange County can have a local wavepool. If it were proposed in a good location a mile away from my house, that had the infrastructure to support it, I'm all in. Otherwise, I can drive to Palm Springs if I get the itch.

There is an "Community Input" meeting tonight at the El Corazon Senior Center 6-8PM tonight.
Go get dome questions answered and concerns heard.

I'm less concerned with the "pool" and more concerned with this thing being billed as a "resort". The pool just distracts form everything else that will be rolled in to the development (new zoning that will continue to displace businesses and communities, a continued trajectory of development pushing housing prices further out of reach for most people that have lived in this community or could have lived in the community, etc..). I fear that the majority of the expense will be burdened by local residents while most of the wealth will be moved outside of the city.

Somebody mentioned that they'd like to see dining options that are better than what are currently offered. I'd also like to see true local businesses that are being displaced, having a difficult time with rising costs, or just putting in work, be given opportunities and space to do business within this new development before bending over backward for OC and Encinitas/Del Mar groups coming in.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
There is an "Community Input" meeting tonight at the El Corazon Senior Center 6-8PM tonight.
Go get dome questions answered and concerns heard.

I'm less concerned with the "pool" and more concerned with this thing being billed as a "resort". The pool just distracts form everything else that will be rolled in to the development (new zoning that will continue to displace businesses and communities, a continued trajectory of development pushing housing prices further out of reach for most people that have lived in this community or could have lived in the community, etc..). I fear that the majority of the expense will be burdened by local residents while most of the wealth will be moved outside of the city.

Somebody mentioned that they'd like to see dining options that are better than what are currently offered. I'd also like to see true local businesses that are being displaced, having a difficult time with rising costs, or just putting in work, be given opportunities and space to do business within this new development before bending over backward for OC and Encinitas/Del Mar groups coming in.
Sadly I usually don't have the option to attend most meetings. I'm good at bitching on the interwebs, but I work many evenings monday through thursday, which is when most meetings tend to occur. I would have to manipulate my work schedule and call in favors to make such meetings, and I already have to do that enough to be a good dad. So I really don't have room to bitch, mainly because I can't back it, but, I always hope that I bring up good point that others that have the time might be able to run with.