Oakley Blade style sunglasses.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The have practical applications for certain sports like cycling where they can give you better range of visibility than conventional framed glasses. But so many people wear them casual in an ironic hipster sorta way like people started wearing aviators ironically around the time the beastie boys sabotage video dropped. But aviators are more timeless.

Lots of shitty less timeless styles are coming back from the 90s. Big baggy wide legged jeans for example. Also saw a thing the other day promoting the 30th anniversary edition of the arnette catfish sunglasses I wore when I was 14.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Had a few of these in my youth. They had swappable lenses, arms, nose piece, and top bar for diff color patterns. There were 7 lenses to choose from. I had a clear lens for working at the auto body shop, and iridium orange lens for impressing the ladies on the tennis court. They were stupidly expensive for the time and the margins must have been massive.

1655562127995.png

1655561580427.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Had a few of these in my youth. They had swappable lenses, arms, nose piece, and top bar for diff color patterns. There were 7 lenses to choose from. I had a clear lens for working at the auto body shop, and iridium orange lens for impressing the ladies on the tennis court. They were stupidly expensive for the time and the margins must have been massive.

View attachment 131894

View attachment 131892
Margins for Manufacturers maybe. sh!t is keystone to retailers and highly regulated. Im not sure about your margin claim. Every Oakley is ANZI OSHA standard Visual acuity at the edges is sharp as a tack. Pretty rare for an 8 base shield. Oakley lenses used to be pretty good before they got sold to the Italian Chinese.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I got them for birthday/Xmas once when I was a kid and that frame constantly cracked. Sure you could replace it free of charge but what a PITA.

It was a very valuable lesson in that just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's good. Furthermore, almost every product that is high-priced and flashy is a non-functional piece of sh!t.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Margins for Manufacturers maybe. sh!t is keystone to retailers and highly regulated. Im not sure about your margin claim. Every Oakley is ANZI OSHA standard Visual acuity at the edges is sharp as a tack. Pretty rare for an 8 base shield. Oakley lenses used to be pretty good before they got sold to the Italian Chinese.
Interesting. Even in the 90s they were meeting standards?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Hated em since they came out. So stupid. I get my wayfarer style sunglasses at Dollar Tree cuz I break and loose em if I pay more.
I know so many people who say and do this.

I’ve always been preferential to good optics and quality frames and have had no problems making sunglasses last. I just finally bought a new pair after well over a decade of daily use. In my old age I require prescription lenses so I do replace the lenses with polarized prescription lenses as my prescription strengthens. Which reminds me, I’m overdo for a visit to the eye doctor.

The next step in my becoming an old man process is getting transition lenses in some old frames I have lying around. It’s a pain carrying two pairs glasses around for long outdoor events that transition from day to night like a baseball game or a wedding. It’d be nice to have one more versatile pair for those occasions, as lame as transition lenses are.