Oahu late Feb?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Going to Hawaii for the first time at the end of the month. My parents bought a house in Waimanalo Beach to retire in. I'll be bringing some old boards to stash there. Any surf around that side of the island? Is the circus gone on the North Shore so I can get a couple barrels to myself? Is the West Side worth some exploration? It will be nice to get in an ocean without a ton of rubber on regardless of what I end up doing.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Not much great quality surf around Waimanalo. Some good spots within driving distance (Sandys, Makapu’u, etc.) Can easily drive to the North Shore, West Side, and Town.

You may be on island during Uncle Buffs Big Board contest in Makaha. If you are, I’ll hook up with you and take you if you want. It’s a trip.

Dates: http://www.buffalosurfingclassic.com

More than happy to meet up to surf. Send me a PM when you’re on your way

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
There's always people surfing NS in the winter but you can usually find a less crowded spot. I surfed Gas Chambers a lot. Even when it was pumping I'd be alone at times or just a few others out. RP will be crowded but you can get waves. Definitely bring some boards or just go grab some used ones from the shops there - there's a million of them. Same with craigslist. If it's pumping NW XL it's definitely worth a drive to the West side as tracks will generally be a lot smaller (head high when it's unsurfable for non-pros on the NS).

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
you are stoked. it is definitely worth your time to surf the well known spots on the north shore. you're going to have a great trip.

h8scoldh20

Michael Peterson status
Dec 30, 2010
Bay Area
obslop said:
surfy1476 said:
How hard is it for a haole to get a wave at 8-10' faces at Sunset?
not hard at all and that's sunset point at that size; can be super fun.
yep and if you sit deep you can get one that bears some resemblance to a shorter backdoor pipe. you can also play with fire and go left too but you may end up drydocked on the reef.

me thinks youcantbeserious is the erBB guy to get in touch with if you want to sample sunset and/or NE Oahu spots.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Well, looks like the biggest it's going to get for me is 4-5@15. A little disappointing, but something should be fun at that size, and hopefully the pros will be too bored to paddle out.