NY/NJ peeps?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Anybody get flooded out? I somehow lucked out in one of the most flood prone towns statewide.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I read that the weather station in Central Park got 3.15 inches between 915 and 1015 last night, shattering all previous one-hour rainfall records in the city.. “Once in 500 year type rain event” they’re already calling it

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I read that the weather station in Central Park got 3.15 inches between 915 and 1015 last night, shattering all previous one-hour rainfall records in the city.. “Once in 500 year type rain event” they’re already calling it
You see some the video? Roads looking like whitewater river, basements flooded up to first floor, 8 dead. Total disaster, on the bright side surf should be fun for you NYers

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I haven’t dug into the coverage yet. I’m not ready to leave my little bubble yet

Reactions: sdsrfr

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
all good here in So. Atlantic county; calamitous as in tornadic
to our west about 30mi.

:bricks::bricks:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
It flooded our basement shop in Yonkers - 3 feet of water, it's never done that in 33 years. We've seen maybe 8 inches before. Someone left the basement lights on by mistake so our camera caught the action. In the rear of the building our shop truck with only 12,000 miles on it was parked and received the full 3 foot treatment. When the first two guys got in in the morning all the water was gone so they started up the shop truck to move it. It made horrible noises but ran. When I got in I checked the dipstick it looked like a milkshake. We drained two gallons out of it and water is heavier than oil so you know the oil pump was pumping water from the bottom of the oil pan. We put new oil in it but it makes terrible noises - the water probably got into the engine through the exhaust and liquids don't compress - it's called Hydro-Lock - stuff just breaks from that - so it will need an engine at least. And we don't have flood insurance - we're trying to see if there's any way to make a claim. Lost a small service truck in a flood in Perth Amboy NJ on Interstate 95. Our tech spent all night in that truck - they towed like 200 vehicles. At least that truck should be covered.

I had to cut a tree limb off of my mother's electrical service and re-attach its support cable near our shop too her basement flooded ankle deep - she went into the basement on the Tornado warning then saw water coming in almost really got hurt opening a basement door that opens inward to check the stair well drain. Thank god there wasn't the full stairwell's 3 feet of water behind the door - she's 86.

We had to empty out the whole shop, I got some brown water on my hand where I had a small cuticle cut - I washed and disinfected right away and put on surgical gloves but it swelled up overnight and started pussing so I went to urgent care, got it lanced, puss squeezed out, a culture taken and antibiotic this morning.

But nothing really bad - nothing we can't absorb and keep going. And we got rid of some stuff from the shop that we might never use anyway. Oh and one of our customers, a school, flooded - their air compressor floated away in the basement and turned upside down - Hahahah I never realized fully how top-heavy they are - their file server was submerged but we just plugged its hard drive into another computer and the drive is still good! So we've got that going for us, too!

11pm 3 feet of water:

Bsmt Flooding.jpg

The following morning looking towards the camera brown mud everywhere and faintly poopy smelling:
Bsmt After.jpg

Emptied the shop into the driveway:
Driveway After (2).jpg

Had to get a container:
Container After.jpg

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
It flooded our basement shop in Yonkers - 3 feet of water, it's never done that in 33 years. We've seen maybe 8 inches before. Someone left the basement lights on by mistake so our camera caught the action. In the rear of the building our shop truck with only 12,000 miles on it was parked and received the full 3 foot treatment. When the first two guys got in in the morning all the water was gone so they started up the shop truck to move it. It made horrible noises but ran. When I got in I checked the dipstick it looked like a milkshake. We drained two gallons out of it and water is heavier than oil so you know the oil pump was pumping water from the bottom of the oil pan. We put new oil in it but it makes terrible noises - the water probably got into the engine through the exhaust and liquids don't compress - it's called Hydro-Lock - stuff just breaks from that - so it will need an engine at least. And we don't have flood insurance - we're trying to see if there's any way to make a claim. Lost a small service truck in a flood in Perth Amboy NJ on Interstate 95. Our tech spent all night in that truck - they towed like 200 vehicles. At least that truck should be covered.

I had to cut a tree limb off of my mother's electrical service and re-attach its support cable near our shop too her basement flooded ankle deep - she went into the basement on the Tornado warning then saw water coming in almost really got hurt opening a basement door that opens inward to check the stair well drain. Thank god there wasn't the full stairwell's 3 feet of water behind the door - she's 86.

We had to empty out the whole shop, I got some brown water on my hand where I had a small cuticle cut - I washed and disinfected right away and put on surgical gloves but it swelled up overnight and started pussing so I went to urgent care, got it lanced, puss squeezed out, a culture taken and antibiotic this morning.

But nothing really bad - nothing we can't absorb and keep going. And we got rid of some stuff from the shop that we might never use anyway. Oh and one of our customers, a school, flooded - their air compressor floated away in the basement and turned upside down - Hahahah I never realized fully how top-heavy they are - their file server was submerged but we just plugged its hard drive into another computer and the drive is still good! So we've got that going for us, too!

11pm 3 feet of water:

View attachment 115700

The following morning looking towards the camera brown mud everywhere and faintly poopy smelling:
View attachment 115702

Emptied the shop into the driveway:
View attachment 115705

Had to get a container:
View attachment 115706
What no pic of finger? :)

• Haha
Reactions: PJ