NVS

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
The good reviews here make me feel like I need to give the TN Apex set another try on different boards. Bought these specifically for my step up that was already on the stiff side, my bad.

Will try on my regular HPSB and report back.

Reactions: chilly1 and Aruka

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I just received my GL large set in the mail.

Last week I lost a side fin when I was out surfing. I now realize what happened. The fit of NVS is not perfect. While the fin went into the box, the screw did not go all the way down. The fin must have eventually worked itself loose and fell out. I looked at the other GL fins still in the board and none of the screws were all the way down in the box. They were just below the deck line. I guess I should have paid more attention when screwing them into the board.

I noticed the same fit problems when screwing in the replacement set. The middle fin was way off when trying to get it to fit. I compared it to my fins from futures and the difference was noticeable. There was about 1/4" of extra fiberglass in the front area. The front "lip" prevented the screw from even sitting flush with the bottom of the board. I had to get file and shave a bunch of fiberglass off to get the screw to seat properly.

NVS

May 1, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.surfnvs.com
Hey everyone!

Leif and Jamin from NVS here.

We were recently made aware of this thread and had to wait a little while to have our account request approved by the forum admins before being able to chime in. We’re going to make an attempt to respond to all of the questions/points brought up here, in a consolidated manner; which we're hoping will be easier to follow. Both of us will be going through in the coming days to be sure we answer any questions or comments we may have missed. Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful feedback and chance to participate in this conversation!

If you have more details questions and/or want to contact us directly; please don't hesitate to email us at: info@surfnvs.com.

We're also always stoked to help customers dial in their fin set-ups, so don't hesitate to reach out with any questions on that front!

Regarding the video featuring portions of our conversation with Noel of Surf 'n Show... it's not nearly as comprehensive as we would have liked to see either. Noel likes to keep his video reviews, etc in the 10 minute range; we recorded more than 45 minutes when we sat down so quite a bit of detail was lost in the editing. Fortunately we can always record more video clips to expand on things we thought were missed and to address questions people have. This is something we've actually had in the works, and are hoping to begin rolling out sooner than later. The idea will be to share as much information as possible about our fins with interested customers. Noel has said he intends to release more Vlogs diving deeper into details re our fins. We've actually made him a few prototypes of fins he's wanted to design for a while so will be looking forward to his feedback on those! @jkb @ANIMA @waxfoot

Regarding weight; G10 is heavier per unit volume than standard (GFK or Volan) fiberglass but given that it yields stronger material with significantly greater tensile strength; we're able to apply more refined foils which in turn reduces the overall weight of the fins. As @Aruka pointed out after he compared our Apex fins to a set of comparable standard fiberglass fins; ours were slightly lighter. RTM (Resin Transfer Molding) fins will be lighter than standard fiberglass and G10 fins but there are significant manufacturing constraints with the RTM process. In general (we feel) the resulting fins cannot achieve the same high performance foiling or flex patterns we're interested in. There are a number of reasons for this; namely the core material (often Soric), and the resin to fiberglass ratio needed to give RTM fins sufficient structural integrity. You can do some cool things with RTM fins and we've been making them for over a decade, but have come to feel strongly that solid fiberglass fins offer superior performance and qualitty across the board @silentbutdeadly @teeroi

@ChaseTMP If all things were equal save weight, then we agree that lighter is generally better. We feel that the benefits from the higher performance foiling and ideal flex patterning through the top half of our Apex fins outweigh the potential downsides associated with the slightly increased weight from using G10 fiberglass. Since every surfer has a different preference this won’t be the case for everyone but we feel the large majority of surfers will prefer Apex fins over RTM.

We've had a lot of conversations with shapers, pro surfers and customers about the weight of fins. Ultimately, for most surfers the weight difference is not going to be noticeable. We recently released some signature fins that we designed with Taylor Knox (who happens to be one of the more humble, genuine, kind professional surfers we've met. Seriously rad human!) He's said he prefers solid fiberglass fins to RTM hands down! It's amazing how much weight can be saved by waxing our boards a little less. One joke we've made for years is; if you're worried about the extra 0.3-0.8oz, take one or two fewer bites of your burrito before paddling out ; )

@ANIMA Noel has a pretty solid selection our fins to play around with. He started with the large C-Drives which he felt were a little too big for him on that board and will continue to experiment with quite a few other templates and sizes. We’re looking forward to seeing how he likes the mediums and twins once he’s had some more time to play with them. Maurice Cole (and Carlos) are actually who turned us onto the C-drives a while back. We would love to do a quick video overview with him; it's great listening to him share his stoke re those fins!

@silentbutdeadly As a smaller company we're in a relatively limited number of shops throughout the US (and world) so checking the fins in person before purchasing can be challenging. However, we stand by our fins and are confident you'll appreciate the value we offer re performance, quality, durability and precision.

@oneula C-Drive is an Australian company. We license the design and patent from Troy Clutton to produce the C-Drives. If you’re in Australia or New Zealand you can order them direct from Troy (http://www.cdrivefins.com/)

@Retropete We’re aware there is a company making knockoffs and listing them in AliExpress/eBay. Troy is working on getting the sale of these shut down.

@waxfoot When FCS released the FCS2 fins they patented the fin box AND the fin base, as opposed to just the fin box when they released the twin tab fins. @teeroi

@sdsurfrat Our fins are manufactured in China at this time. We’re constantly looking for ways to bring this back stateside. Right now, given the cost of raw materials and to CNC fins in the US it unfortunately isn't cost effective to manufacture them here. Again, this is something we have been working to address since day one, and we will continue to pursue ways to bring an increasing amount of production back.

@feralseppo We actually have hand foiled out quite a few fins ourselves. We certainly haven't hand foiled as many fins as folks like Chuck, Greg, Mark, or Marlin, etc... who we consider to be master fin foilers. It's an art, and a skill that we continue to develop with more experience.

All wooden (glass on) fins that our customers purchase are hand foiled. All fin design is done in house, by us. This includes the template design and application of the nuanced foiling that we've worked hard to develop over the course of the past decade. At last count (about 3 months ago) we’ve put in production or made a prototype of over 150 unique fin templates.

We also want to note that do sell single replacement fins to customers who need them. We also are happy to help people build up custom sets/configurations based on any of the fins we currently offer via our site. This way you're able to experiment without having to break the bank.

It's been long, sometimes arduous, though ultimately fun/rewarding process to get to where we are now. That being said, the hustle to improve will never end... for us, complacency is not an option. Working with a wide range of experienced, and in some cases legendary, shapers has helped us tremendously. They've been gracious enough to share with us their wealth of knowledge and in the process of making fins for these folks we've deepened our understanding of the myriad factors that play into making high quality, high performance fins. Again, we have a lot to learn and will never cease striving to improve on all fronts.

Thanks again everyone! There's zero doubt in our minds that engaging in this conversation with all of you will help us continue to improve our processes and resulting products; and for that, we want to express our gratitude to all of you for taking the time an energy to share your questions, thoughts and insight.

No doubt we've missed some points here. Again, both of us will be going through in the coming days to be sure we answer questions or comments that haven't been fully addressed.

Our best to all of you and your loved ones, especially during these challenging times!

Jamin and Leif
Co-founders of NVS

info@surfnvs.com

www.surfnvs.com
www.instagram.com/nakedvikingsurf

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Thanks for taking the time and answering some of the questions and assumptions that are on this thread. Been using the L Peregrine, M & L AMC fins in a few of my boards and they have been working fine. When fins are working good I don’t notice them and that’s been the case.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
With your consumer freindly pricing you have brought G-10 out of the "Shadows" :)

With your gain in popularity and interest I'm sure consumers will pay an increase in price and still be more reasonable than the top builds of the big guys .

12 years ago a large machine shop in San Jose was willing to make mine for 15.00 per fin - but never did
With your volume I would think the same place would do them for 20.00 per fin today
Quick turnaround - possibly easier buisness - priced at 120.00 per set you would still be way ahead .

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Thanks for the reply @NVS. I really enjoyed hearing you guys talk about the fins -- i just wish we could have heard more.

The C-drive fins are such an interesting and unique fin that without proper explanation they may not get the attention they deserve. I was interested in watching the video from Noel, for that reason, but it was a little disappointing (regardless, still a fan of the show and the fins).

I'm 145lbs and about 5'6. With such a large base on the C-drive, would you suggest a small fin or medium fin setup (for a quad). Also, as a thruster setup, do you suggest ordering a smaller center fin than the side fins?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I enjoy supporting surf startups like NVS, don't sell out and stay core.
I bought my C-Drives from AU after seeing Maurice pump them up.

you guys at NVS should hook up with Greg to offer his designs in your G10 mass production
when he was T&C he had some one making them for him as you can see below
I know it's against Greg's "fins built for the board" mantra which I'm a believer
but IMHO he has one of the best templates out there especially when combined with G10
could be a win-win

Also I'm curious about your grennan series
can you NVS guys elaborate about them a bit more
are they just for "gliders"?
I have a set of red bananas that robin mair over at Hanalei Fins gave me but they are probox and plastic/acrylic

IMG00105.jpg

IMG00114 (1).jpgnewfolder4232.jpegnewfolder4235 (1).jpeg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
thanks @NVS for the thoughtful and transparent post. Have had positive experiences so far with the AM & Mannkine fins, and impressed with their quality.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks NVS!

I am wondering if you can make the G-10 (or fiberglass for that matter) even thinner as to give a more "playful" feel in avereage waves?

Reactions: Aruka

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth

Great info on the C-drive fins.

Fin Design

Patented Innovation

fin_diagram_bw_web.jpg

The objective behind the C-Drive Fins concept was to produce a fin that delivered a noticeable performance upgrade to a traditional fin application.
By optimizing the surface area of the fin at the junction where the surfboard, the fins and surface of the the water interact, C-Drive Fins give the surfer greater capacity to generate forward motion (speed). By moving the surface area away from the tip and mid section of the fin and into the base, the unique design allows the surfer to execute sharper turns and to retain greater control.
We believe that C-Drive Fins' unique design is perfectly balanced for the performance requirements of todays modern surfer, and ideally suited to many of the modern surfboards on offer.
Our extensive R&D taught us a number of important aspects about our design and about fin design in general. When a surfboard is in motion there are essentially three key forces in play.
  1. The force being applied to the surfboard by the surfer - generated by the surfers weight and strength.(vertically and horizontaly)
  2. The force generated by the surface of the water.
  3. The force created by the fins (Lateral Resistance) giving the surfer the ability to direct the surfboard over the surface of the water.
Our R&D team set out to optimize the interplay between the fins, the surfboard and the waters surface. As with most designs, there is not just one attribute, but rather a combination of attributes that complete a design. Some of the key aspects of C-Drive Fins are detailed below.
The Cut Away - This is arguably the defining feature of the C-Drive Fin concept. It has allowed us to maximize drive and manoeuvrability simultaneously. It is the attribute that is integrally formed between the trailing edge of the tip of the fin and the trailing edge of the sectional area that forms part of the base (marked by the two asterisks). The Cut Away has a significant impact on the performance of the fin through its effect on the flex pattern, base depth and tip area. We believe it to be the most advanced feature in recent fin design and certainly a departure from the traditional fin profile. The dotted line on the fin diagram above illustrates a traditional fin trailing edge. You can see where we have redistributed considerable area away from the tip and mid section and used it to create the base.
Base Length - Refers to the length of the fin as it comes in contact with the bottom of the board. You may also know that it is commonly accepted within the surfing community that the longer the base a fin has, the more drive it will generate. We found that if the base length was too short we didn’t achieve the resluts we were looking for. Likewise, if we extended the base too much the board had a tendency to track. Our testing determined the optimum base length for each fin size. Take a look at our Fin Dimensions on the Sizing Guide page and you will notice that C-Drive fins are longer in the base than they are deep.
Tip Area - The redistribution of surface area away from the tip and mid section of the fin into the base where it is more effectively applied, is a key component in the equation that gave us both drive and manoeuvrability together. In order to maintain the overall surface area (size) of our fins relative to a standard fin application, we understood that as we increased the base area we also needed to decrease the area within the tip and mid section, finding the right balance has produced the results we were searching for.
Base Depth - C-Drive Fins are unique in that when we refer to the depth of the fin we need to consider two aspects of the design. Firstly, the traditional measurement of depth refers to the measured depth of a fin from its base to the tip, C-Drive fins remain relatively similar to other fin types on the market in this regard, but unlike traditional fin types, C-Drive Fins have a second attribute we call Base Depth. Base Depth is measured at the narrowest point of the base within the Cut-Away section of the design. The Base Depth plays a significant role in the performance of the fin by allowing us to control the amount of "bite" the fin has.
Blending all these aspects together, and more is what makes C-Drive Fins a unique proposition to the surfer looking to advance their skill and enjoyment levels.

So what does it all really mean ? It means that you will feel a noticeable change in the performance of your board when C-Drive Fins are used in place of a traditional fin application.
What can you expect ? You can expect to generate more speed. You can also expect to turn tighter in the pocket. Among other things, you can expect to drive through cutbacks like never before while having more stability through critical turns.