NVS Surf Prescriptions Tallboy Twin (Futures) - $65

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
Mint condition NVS fins. Used 2x. Purchased for my Doc "Wonder Twin." Selling because I prefer a smaller fin.

Price is $65 or $75 shipped.

From the NVS website:

The Tallboy Twin is upright modern Twin fin the same width as height. An ideal combination for performance Twins with enough area to push hard and not slide out. Solid down the line projection yet quick and responsive. “Great for all short performance Twins at the same time a nice snappy alternative to keels on Twins of all lengths and designs” -Doc.

Base: 5.70 inch
Height: 5.60 inch
Area: 22.31 square inch
Foil: SeriesIII / Flat

All Doc’s fins are made in our Apex Series construction, with our proprietary SeriesIII foiling.

Fins 1.jpgFins 2.jpgFins 3.jpgFins 4.jpg

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
Based on my impressions so far (just two sessions), the Wonder Twin is a shreddy high performance twin fin. It is both fast and loose. It has a fairly curvy design and is capable of performance surfing. I prefer it with a more upright pivoty fin, like the CF Tyler Warren fins.

I bought the Wonder Twin as a step-up (performance wise) from my 6'4" Tur Twin Pin, which has been my as my daily go-to in all conditions and one of the best and most versatile boards I have ever owned. I have a trip to the Maldives planned for September, and am hoping to put the WT through its paces at perfect Pasta Point.

The Wonder Twin has a narrower nose, as well as a bit more rocker in the nose and tail versus the TT. The channels are also different. Overall, the WT is much more performance oriented than the TT, and holds well in good surf. Feels like a loose thruster. Only downside I have noticed is that the WT doesn't catch waves as good as the TT, due to the reduced volume in the nose and increased rocker, not to mention shorter length (WT is 5'10" vs. 6'4" for the TT) - but I think I will be able to overcome that after I have a few more sessions on the board. Note that Doc has a newer hp twin he calls the "twinny two" which looks very similar to the WT, but appears to have more rocker and possibly less area in the nose. Neither board is listed on Doc's site.

After riding mostly hand shaped/alt-designs from Lovelace, Mandala, Fineline and Campbell Bros, for the past 15 years, this is my first foray into boards with more of a hp approach, as well as buying from a shaper who produces a lot of conventional hp thrusters.

Final note, the WT rides way different from my Xanadu Wing Twin that I sold here recently. The Xanadu was a wave catching machine, but for me it did not inspire confidence in bigger surf.