Nurse Quits Over Hospital Forcing Her To Treat Coronavirus Patient Without Mask.

Nick Kerr

OTF status
Apr 3, 2020
So we should take the word of anonymous twitter trolls over CBS News. Got it.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Regardless, there are hospitals that are facing PPE shortages, healthcare workers are getting sick and some are dying.

Nick Kerr

OTF status
Apr 3, 2020
You don't think CBS News verifies these things before they post them? This is a large national respected news organization yet I'm supposed to believe a bunch of tweets from 4Chan members.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
my brother works in Vermont as a nurse.

his hospital took all N95 masks from all departments/employees in the hospital.

the hospital has another type of mask that guards against 99% of particles. it is reusable and worn with protective gear . . . but . . . you are only allowed to wear that 99% mask and the gear if you are working with a patient that is confirmed via test as COVID-19 positive. with the lag on testing this means nearly guaranteed exposure to someone who is COVID-19 carrier but has not yet tested out positive.

apparently they want to keep the N95 masks for trauma surgeons and others than might need to don a mask quickly as the 99% mask/gear takes 5-10 minutes to don even if you know what you are doing.

my sister is an x-ray tech. in colorado; two weeks ago she was told one N95 mask per month and now she gets one a week. these are designed as single use masks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
my brother works in Vermont as a nurse.

his hospital took all N95 masks from all departments/employees in the hospital.
Because hospital employees were stealing them.

the hospital has another type of mask that guards against 99% of particles. it is reusable and worn with protective gear . . . but . . . you are only allowed to wear that 99% mask and the gear if you are working with a patient that is confirmed via test as COVID-19 positive. with the lag on testing this means nearly guaranteed exposure to someone who is COVID-19 carrier but has not yet tested out positive.
What department does he work in?

ERs are sorting out people with active symptoms in the parking lot. A surgical mask is placed on the patient before they walk in the door. If they aren't they should be.

I don't know of any hospital who isn't placing suspected cases on droplet precautions (gown,gloves,goggles, surgical mask).
This is standard per the WHO and CDC.

Read here:

So, at this point, N95 seems to be necessary mostly aerosol generating procedures. i.e. intubation and bronchoscopy.

Similar to South Korea, a surgical mask is worn otherwise. Not an N95 (or N99/100, the mask it sounds like your brother has been given - it's even better than an N95)

apparently they want to keep the N95 masks for trauma surgeons and others than might need to don a mask quickly as the 99% mask/gear takes 5-10 minutes to don even if you know what you are doing.

my sister is an x-ray tech. in colorado; two weeks ago she was told one N95 mask per month and now she gets one a week. these are designed as single use masks.
There isn't any PPE for COVID19 that takes 5-10 minutes to don. I wear a PAPR and the entire PPE setup for me takes about 2 minutes in an emergency...and "in a pandemic there are no emergencies, no heroics."

Single use = until damaged, soiled, leaking

The only time she should be using an N95 is during an aerosol generating procedure. Generally an xray tech should not be involved in aerosol generating procedures, but they might enter the room after an aerosol generating procedure to d o a chest xray... Also should be wearing one in the room with an intubated patient.

Personally, if I were being forced to reuse N95 masks immediately post aerosolizing procedure I would only do so in a negative pressure environment with a face shield and I would be thinking twice about even that.

Tell her to ask management how long it takes the negative pressure room to clear particles from the air and tell them if she's reusing an N95 she'll only go in after that period of time. I think, generally, it's about an hour, but don't quote me.

If they give her a problem, tell her she should ask management how she can tell if the outside of her mask is contaminated.

And stuffing an N95 in a paper bag will contaminate the inside of a mask, period.

Reactions: Phi1 and obslop

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You don't think CBS News verifies these things before they post them? This is a large national respected news organization yet I'm supposed to believe a bunch of tweets from 4Chan members.
This chick has already been proven to be a faker.

She hasn’t even worked as a nurse in over a year.