Numbness in forearm/Bicept

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Had a shoulder injury with roatotor cuff syptoms, had it in a sling for a week and it slowly got better. Now about 4 monthes later it is better and can do everything i usually do(surf,swim,paddle), however i am left with numbness and pins and needles in bicept and forearm. Any input or suggesstions ?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Garbage

Focal muscle pain is a thing. "Trigger points", from all medical available evidence to date, is not.

I think in order to prescribe any type of therapy the provider should be able to articulate an accurate reflection of the tissue state.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think you are making it too complicated.

Someone says, "My neck hurts."

I say, "Oh, try finding the point of tension and see what happens when you put pressure on it."

Option 1: Still hurts.

"Ok. You know the didn't help."

Option 2: It doesn't hurt anymore!

"Great! Carry on!"

I agree that you get into trouble when you try to explain why. (The body is complicated) Or when you become over reliant on soft tissue work.

But if my neck hurts and I find sensitive tissue (I'm fine not calling it a trigger point) and I roll a ball around on it for a few minutes a few times a day for a day or two and the pain goes away, I don't see what the issue is.

I also think some people don't have this soft tissue issue so they don't think it's a thing.

That's okay too. :poop:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I think you are making it too complicated.

Someone says, "My neck hurts."

I say, "Oh, try finding the point of tension and see what happens when you put pressure on it."

Option 1: Still hurts.

"Ok. You know the didn't help."

Option 2: It doesn't hurt anymore!

"Great! Carry on!"

I agree that you get into trouble when you try to explain why. (The body is complicated) Or when you become over reliant on soft tissue work.

But if my neck hurts and I find sensitive tissue (I'm fine not calling it a trigger point) and I roll a ball around on it for a few minutes a few times a day for a day or two and the pain goes away, I don't see what the issue is.

I also think some people don't have this soft tissue issue so they don't think it's a thing.

That's okay too. :poop:

Except that "trigger points' are used by snake oilers as a medical phenomenon and not used as a colloquial "it hurts here" descriptor.

There is no definition of what a "tight" muscle is except in cases of clear contraction or spasticity.

Knowing this, there is no evidence or even plausibility for a reliable diagnosis in evaluating muscle "tightness". Providors don't know what the they're feeling on examination.

I agree that focused tissue intervention on a spot that hurts isn't absolutely irrelevant in diagnosis, but that still doesn't mean it's the primary mechanism that needs to be directly treated. There are mountains and mountains of pain neuroscience research looking at all of this stuff, and it makes the idea of a "tight" muscle being the direct cause of pain seem rather simplistic.

Regarding pain and stiffness, generally the idea of "tightness" is likely to be a centrally or neurologically mediated phenomenon, rather than an accurate reflection of injury or tissue state, which is why pain on a scale of 1 to 10 should be discarded.

I mentioned before that locally focused treatments like massage, IASTM, ART, etc. may make patients feel better and if so continue..... but perceived benefits have nothing to do with "lengthening tight muscles", "releasing adhesions", or "trigger points" etc. It's important for providers to make these admissions if there is going to be any hope of bringing a person out of short or long term pain cycle.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It seems like your issue is with people selling the treatment. I get that.

The human body is complicated.

I do all my soft tissue work to myself.

I won't say why it works.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
No selling it....selling it as something that it isn't. It's no different than over prescribing narcotics. It just builds a dependence that has negative consequences and a horrible impact on quality of life.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Had a shoulder injury with roatotor cuff syptoms, had it in a sling for a week and it slowly got better. Now about 4 monthes later it is better and can do everything i usually do(surf,swim,paddle), however i am left with numbness and pins and needles in bicept and forearm. Any input or suggesstions ?
I had a shoulder injury and rotator cuff issue and in the process of going through PT discovered neck issues. I have tingling (pins and needles) and itchiness on my left hand and it is due to the nerve being pinched due to narrowing discs. When I tip my head back for too long my shoulder gets tight and eventually my hand tingles.

Do you have any issues with your neck?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Get you neck checked.

I separated my collar bone (A/C separation) snowboarding in ‘99.

In 2014 had shoulder pain, numbness in forearm, fingers, bicep, etc. Thought it was the shoulder surgery going out of warranty. Went to doctor, shoulder fine, neck fuckked up. Turns out that when I blew the shoulder/collar bone I also broke my neck.

It just took 15 years for the neck thing to manifest.

Get. Your. Neck. Checked!!!!!!!

Reactions: mundus

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Then what....the doc finds some minor issue with the neck, mundus hair is now on fire and nothing changes except you have a patient that is terrified that one false move equals paralysis.