NSR - Martial Arts/Ju jitsui for teenagers?

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Didn't want to tag on to the other thread...got two teenagers (17/15) and am thinking of getting them into self defense classes. Any thoughts or suggestions as to a good starting point would be? I know nothing except David Carradine and Kung fu from the 1970's...thanks

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Didn't want to tag on to the other thread...got two teenagers (17/15) and am thinking of getting them into self defense classes. Any thoughts or suggestions as to a good starting point would be? I know nothing except David Carradine and Kung fu from the 1970's...thanks
No, it will lead to a life of inappropriate contact and dry humping.

Oops, my bad, I thought this,was the politics forum

Reactions: tsenn

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Put them in wrestling or boxing. If boxing, find a good coach who's not going to let their competitive boxers use your boys as punching bags.

If you want a basic self defense class, try a Blauer "Be your own bodyguard" or "Personal Defense REadiness" class.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
There are allot of really good brazillian juijitsu schools around now. Better to take advantage of learning bjj before it gets banned by Newsomlinni.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If you can put up with the pagentry and lame "let's act like martial artists" stuff, jiu jitsu is pretty fun and beneficial.
Kickboxing is way more fun, but you probably shouldn't let your kids do that.

Reactions: tsenn

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's the belt thing man. I don't know of a bjj place that doesn't do it.

A judo "coral" belt made me feel like a child once with a blue belt ceremony, I've never recovered :LOL:
Ah. Yeah, we have belts but you just get one when the instructors decide it‘s. They only reason to have them is for competition.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is done in the gi. No gi is just submission wrestling. No gi, no belts.

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ah. Yeah, we have belts but you just get one when the instructors decide it‘s. They only reason to have them is for competition.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is done in the gi. No gi is just submission wrestling. No gi, no belts.
Hate the combat pajamas. I bought a grey one, to be different, and was told I have to wear black white or blue . Who decided to make them all out of burlap sack?
No gi, no belts, sounds more fun.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hate the combat pajamas. I bought a grey one, to be different, and was told I have to wear black white or blue . Who decided to make them all out of burlap sack?
No gi, no belts, sounds more fun.
We wear whatever color we want. The place I go is super informal. It’s the least ‘martial arty’ place I’ve seen.

I like both styles. Nice to be able to use someone’s own clothes ar a weapon against them.

we do about half and gi/no gi. Plus kickboxing, boxing and wrestling.

I’ve visited some places where they bow, call the instructor “professor”, no music, etc.

Fuck that.

I’m a paying customer. Gym works for me, not the other way around.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
There are some bjj gyms that require you buy their gi's. The excuse I got was we are a team and everyone on the team wears the same uniform, plus it looks more professional for new students coming in. My response was do you want to wash my gi's then, or lower the price so I can buy 5 new freshies. The belt scam isn't as bad in bjj because they don't charge for promotion and don't promote as often. I really could careless about belt color other than who should be teaching the class. I try to keep the eternal clear belt mentality.

Reactions: stringcheese

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There are some bjj gyms that require you buy their gi's. The excuse I got was we are a team and everyone on the team wears the same uniform, plus it looks more professional for new students coming in. My response was do you want to wash my gi's then, or lower the price so I can buy 5 new freshies. The belt scam isn't as bad in bjj because they don't charge for promotion and don't promote as often. I really could careless about belt color other than who should be teaching the class. I try to keep the eternal clear belt mentality.
Seems like belt promotions in 80s/90s era martial arts (and those that still adhere to that model) are just a way to justify the autopay. New belt every 2-3 months regardless of your actual progress and ability level, yay!