NPR Host says that objective neutral journalism is "fraught in whiteness"

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Not a guest, the co-host. Of one of their more popular shows. Glad we can agree on the latter.
One co host! How about changing the channel. Intelligent people can separate the wheat from the meaningless chaff.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
lots to like on NPR
Marketplace w/Kai Ryssdal
Freakonomics
All Songs Considered
Tiny Desk Concerts
Says You!
But BBC in the morning can be irritating with those accents and annoying interviewers

Locally on HPR
Bytemarks Cafe (old college acquaintance Bert Lum)
Morning/Evening Concert
Latin Beat

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
the woke programming is annoying.
But that's what gets listeners. Nobody wants to hear nuanced viewpoints that might have some agreement with both sides (or the many sides) of any particular issue. Same goes for about 99% of news and talk radio. Radio clickbait.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
But that's what gets listeners. Nobody wants to hear nuanced viewpoints that might have some agreement with both sides (or the many sides) of any particular issue. Same goes for about 99% of news and talk radio. Radio clickbait.
Thats why there is variety of programing on NPR, the Karens among us meltdown about programming they do not like while most people just change the channel panties untwisted. It is not like there is shortage of RW propaganda on the radio.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Thats why there is variety of programing on NPR, the Karens among us meltdown about programming they do not like while most people just change the channel panties untwisted. It is not like there is shortage of RW propaganda on the radio.
I don't care if that programming exists. Just don't call the entire NPR ecosystem "unbiased" when a lot of what they produce and air clearly is biased.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
First off it was one guest, NPR is still the least bias hard news out there, the woke programming is annoying.
Yeah, I drive around for 6 hours a day, NPR on a lot of the time. The woke (I won't even call it left, I'm not sure that it is, people who didn't historically have voices need voices, I'm not begrudging that) programming is way more pronounced now than it has ever been, in my experience. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's place a or need to exist, it surely does, but lately especially it feels forced. Just another example of our increasing polarization. It's all binary, 0 or 1. This could be (probably is?) a reaction to the Trump era, which has not gone away, even though he pretty much has.

That said, I really enjoy the show Left, Right, & Center, and the spin-off, All the Presidents Lawyers, and On the Media, which I feel is more balanced than most, but even that is left leaning. I don't mind, it doesn't feel "woke," and I dog-leg left anyway.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink