Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
looks like a BK spear
pretty narrow and made for sunset

could be wrong
I think titus, tiger and BK were pretty tight back then when BK started shaping
surprised no picture of booby
You know there are a lot of magazines I know I had but didn't find in my stacks. One I was looking for but couldn't find was James Jones'- "Tuberiding Waimea."

Also, another period specific quality of the picture of Titus is, he's competing in one of the biggest pro contests of the time (The Smirnoff) and he has no sponsor logos on his board. Even his board seems without a logo. Might be on the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The quality of surf photography in the 70s was really high.

The limitations of equipment stimulated innovation on the part of the photographer.

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
Hermosa Beach ~ Mike Purpus, in the middle of photo
Hi Peter!

I know you well know the backyard of Doc's house that was once home to Dru Harrison and David Nuuhiwa.

Chris Barela, Mike Benevidez, Mike Purpus, the turkeys and Terry Stevens RIP. It sure looks like Bobby Burchell on the left but I don't remember him being there and that Infinity board must not be his. He was riding Chris Hawk Surfboards before Hurley.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Stingers! And Mike Benevidez is wearing Bayley suit. I had both at the time. Bayley suits were such good suits.First taped wetsuits. I remember they were custom. I went to ET and they took about twenty measurements. Perfect fit.

Great pic. I should try and get Purpus to post on the erBB. He has such great stories. But one tip- if you're really itching to surf and you see him, don't stop to chat. I mean, you can't just walk away from a legend when his talking story, right?

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
I liked his surfing and his boards-View attachment 96272

This photo had a profound impact on me. The caption says "The classic Hawaiian 'Just being there with style' approach." I kind of followed that approach all my surfing life. Never sacrifice style for maneuvers (that's why I had a problem with Adriano...)
View attachment 96273

For the yungguns. Mason's dad.

View attachment 96274
H-Bay.....remember ditching class this day. Too big for my small balls. The pros would only jump on the plane if the NS was closing out and konas was blowing. Usually H-Bay or the spot around the bend would be 6-8. One other ditch day which I think was smaller than the pic....it was 4-6 and saw Reno and Owl ripping it up. I was in total awe!!!!