Nostalgia

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was rummaging through old surf mags trying to find a cover shot of Bobby Owens at small Kalihiwai but couldn't find it. In the process I found these photos detached from the mags. I remember these were the ones which were on the walls of my room when I was I high school. They brought back memories. Also found a couple old calendars in which I journaled every session.
IMG_4567.jpgIMG_4568.jpgIMG_4570.jpg

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thought I'd post a few more...for the yungguns who never lived the era, and for the old guys who lost the old mags.

Please share if you have yours.

I recently ( a few years ago) sold boxes of mags from the 90's and 00's because they didn't have the value of the old ones, but now I'm regretting it. I just flipped through the mags and snapped ones I remember liking.

That Ventura guy again. Loved his style.
IMG_4582.jpg

This one belongs in the South Bay thread. My favorite maneuver in surfing, the stand up tube ride, South Bay style (guaranteed crash at the end).
IMG_4583.jpg

I wasn't a local because I didn't live there, but surfed there almost more than my local spots. This guy was the man back then. Guess the surfer.
IMG_4584.jpg

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I liked his surfing and his boards-IMG_4585.jpg

This photo had a profound impact on me. The caption says "The classic Hawaiian 'Just being there with style' approach." I kind of followed that approach all my surfing life. Never sacrifice style for maneuvers (that's why I had a problem with Adriano...)
IMG_4586.jpg

For the yungguns. Mason's dad.

IMG_4587.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
He was one of my favorite surfers because he had my build, kind of tall and skinny-
IMG_4595.jpg

One of my favorite all time photos. Love how his fingers are just barely touching the water. I always tend to put my hand on the wave-
IMG_4592.jpg

This was the epitome of radical back then. I had a poster of this on my wall. I think there was one of Mike Purpus too-
IMG_4589.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think I bought skateboard wheels from this ad (see how one is x'd). I am stunned by the prices. I remember having to save up to buy them.
IMG_4593.jpg

Style. This was the time the first articles featuring Puerto Escondido were appearing. If you can name this guy you must know him.
IMG_4591.jpg

My favorite maneuver again, pre hipster....
IMG_4596.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2014
Thought I'd post a few more...for the yungguns who never lived the era, and for the old guys who lost the old mags.

I recently ( a few years ago) sold boxes of mags from the 90's and 00's because they didn't have the value of the old ones, but now I'm regretting it. I just flipped through the mags and snapped ones I remember liking.

View attachment 96269

This one belongs in the South Bay thread. My favorite maneuver in surfing, the stand up tube ride, South Bay style (guaranteed crash at the end).
View attachment 96270

I wasn't a local because I didn't live there, but surfed there almost more than my local spots. This guy was the man back then. Guess the surfer.
View attachment 96271

View attachment 96269

View attachment 96270

View attachment 96271
Regular-foot guy looks like Jay Riddle.