Northern California Storm

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I've seen 20-24 feet of snow in the Mammoth Parking lot in the late 70's. It was like a huge wall around the entire parking area.

You had to ski DOWN into the 2nd story of the lodge to get in.

That was the first time I ever went to Mammoth. Thought it was like that every winter, but it was definitely an exception once I later found out. I was barely 20 and didn't really track weather records much yet.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I was just there, Tues - Fri. The drive back on the 395 was pretty crazy, and the ground was mostly snow covered, all the way to maybe 5 miles before Magic Mtn. There must be some kind of record for most sq miles blanketed in snow in CA at one time. I've never seen anything like it.
we had to chain up at Mono to get up to Lee Vining, but the road was
mostly clear after that....some snow between June and Mammoth, but
lots of gravel so I didn't chain back up.

it started snowing in Jawbone and kept falling all the way to Palmdale,
but not sticking.

it looked like A LOT of people were clearing out of the desert early on
Saturday given that more weather was coming through on Sunday.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Sounds like you may have hit it after the plow? We were in 4wd from Reno to Bishop (and needed it). Lots of cars heading into Mammoth area Fri morning. Our plan was to gtfo and not have to drive through the next storm, otherwise would have gone through Tahoe and taken the other route down on Sat/Sun.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Kindly turn off the nw wind and the funky ass crossed up windswell. While you’re at it switch the low tide from afternoon to early morning. K den tanks.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Sounds like you may have hit it after the plow? We were in 4wd from Reno to Bishop (and needed it). Lots of cars heading into Mammoth area Fri morning. Our plan was to gtfo and not have to drive through the next storm, otherwise would have gone through Tahoe and taken the other route down on Sat/Sun.
after plow and probably a lot of other cars, too

the 80 was closed through truckee when we left Saturday morning

I had considered just taking my lumps up and over the hill and doing
the rest of the drive down the 99, but didn't want to wait around for them
to open it back up.

does anyone know why this one Joshua Tree is 10 times the size of
any other Joshua Tree in the area? my guess is that people stop and
water it...?

1575478435772.png

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I was just there, Tues - Fri. The drive back on the 395 was pretty crazy, and the ground was mostly snow covered, all the way to maybe 5 miles before Magic Mtn. There must be some kind of record for most sq miles blanketed in snow in CA at one time. I've never seen anything like it.
it's happen in '94 i think.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Most Joshua tree lifespan is 150 years old. But some live to 1000 year and grow much larger. Tallest measure known of about 80 tall. This one is 40 feet tall.

does anyone know why this one Joshua Tree is 10 times the size of
any other Joshua Tree in the area? my guess is that people stop and
water it...?

View attachment 83207

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I see some decent sized Joshua trees on hwy 178 over Walker Pass, and a Google image search shows your exact same tree in stock images (https://www.istockphoto.com/sg/photo/lonely-giant-joshua-tree-gm145904400-5968820) so it seems to be an attraction.

This one looks different but gives some explanation for it's size.
interesting that they don't form growth rings, but being a yucca makes it less interesting.
bummer there were more gi-hugant ones and people burned or did other stuff to them.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Most Joshua tree lifespan is 150 years old. But some live to 1000 year and grow much larger. Tallest measure known of about 80 tall. This one is 40 feet tall.

is this one along the road on the way up to Keys View?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
the snow level was insane during their time up there. 26 feet where they were is incredible. spent a lot of winters at Donner lake and seen nothing close to that.
One of the worst parts of the tragedy was in the mid part of November that year a large group, 22 people, actually were able to hike over Donner summit and make it to the headwaters of the Yuba river on the western side. One of the mule drovers named Charles Stanton refused to push the mules they had brought to carry their supplies any farther, worried they would die so they turned back. A few days later near Thanksgiving a huge snow storm came in and the mules all died anyways. The opportunity to try to hike out again was lost.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
Yesterday OBSF so much fun. Glassy and clean with so many peak for all. And not so big so paddle was easy.