North Shore winter 2021 transportation?

Jun 28, 2015
Santa Cruz
Hey guys, the wife and I will be on the NS this December staying at Turtle Bay and I'm looking for input on getting around. We all know rental car prices are just insane, so we're looking at alternative modes of transportation while we're there. We want to see the sites and check all the famous breaks. Taking the bus doesn't look like a bad choice all things considered. $5.50 a day and stops every 20mins seems pretty hard to beat.

What so you? Will we be bummed or stocked to be taking the bus?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
turtle bay is kind of far out there. i'd be bummed taking the bus on the NS, town is ok with no car. try turo, maybe buy a sh!t box or bite the bullet and fork out the $ depending on how long you'll be there. turtle bay is $$$, couldn't stay someplace cheaper and get a car? all options to weigh

all under $65 a day, you can adjust the slider to fit your needs

Reactions: GromsDad

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The bus is an option that will work but it can take a long time since they are slow. You'd be better off renting a car on Turo or biting the bullet and paying for a rental. You'll spend A LOT of your day waiting for the bus and riding it.

P.S. The bus attracts all sorts of kooks and crazies.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
uber, lyft or Racer's new company
Maybe the hotel shuttle will take you around north shore spots

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
turtle bay is kind of far out there. i'd be bummed taking the bus on the NS, town is ok with no car. try turo, maybe buy a sh!t box or bite the bullet and fork out the $ depending on how long you'll be there. turtle bay is $$$, couldn't stay someplace cheaper and get a car? all options to weigh

all under $65 a day, you can adjust the slider to fit your needs

Have you ever used this service? Sounds great as long as the car is there when you get off your flight.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Have you ever used this service? Sounds great as long as the car is there when you get off your flight.
yes used it a bunch, usually the process is pretty smooth besides a few last minute cancellations. last time I was on Oahu a small rental car agency advertised their cars on there , ended up renting a minivan for probably half the price of what the "big players" were charging

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Had to do this a few times.

The first was on our honeymoon.

We hitched from Iquique out to Salitre and Humberstone, a little mining ghost town in the Atacama desert.

When we tried to hitch a ride back nobody would stop.

After about an hour and countless cars I told my wife I was going to have to sit back off the road and use her as bait.

It took less than 5 minutes for a guy to pull over.

Dishonest, I know.

Reactions: mundus
Jun 28, 2015
Santa Cruz
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Reservations were made back in 2019 for Christmas 2020, but thanks to covid, we're just now getting to actually use the reservations. Turns out, other than riding the bus, rental car is actually comparable if not a bit cheaper than most other options. (Thanks costco!)

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I used Turo about 5 years ago and it worked fine. Rolling around in a local Prius felt way mellower than an obvious rental

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
about as big as it got end of September stayed there for 5 nights on a great rate , the vibe and staff were great the place special no question , Mick O Brien hit on my wife so she felt special actually great person talked fishing , best mahi mahi i had was there

IMG_1055.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Hey guys, the wife and I will be on the NS this December staying at Turtle Bay and I'm looking for input on getting around. We all know rental car prices are just insane, so we're looking at alternative modes of transportation while we're there. We want to see the sites and check all the famous breaks. Taking the bus doesn't look like a bad choice all things considered. $5.50 a day and stops every 20mins seems pretty hard to beat.

What so you? Will we be bummed or stocked to be taking the bus?
Turo is great. rent a truck for $60-100 per day. Turtle Bay Fazio course is great if you golf