North Shore Surf Contests -- Winter 2022/2023

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
why do people clear lineups during contests
are there actual laws that enable this.

as an East Coast United States person my take has always been:

- In Hawaii there is a cultural force that supports / enables contests (paddle out in a contest, see what happens)

- In California - there are state parks where certain rules are in effect and some lifeguards who can enforce mask mandates at sea

On the east coast - if you have a contest when the waves are sick you have struck gold. rarely happens.

outside the U.s. no clue

are there any laws
I watched when Shawn Briley tried to surf Pipe during an ASP contest. Shawn was out at 2nd reef Pipe and the two surfers in the heat were at Gums maybe 2 hundred yards away. The water patrol went out to talk to him but he stayed out. The ski came in and got a different rider who didn't take no for an answer and they brought him in.
Another time I was checking the surf when they were having a local contest at Pipe and there was a non-contestant in the line-up. He caught a good wave, got barreled and came in. When he was running up the beach Rabbit Kekai grabbed him and ask what the hell he was doing surfing in his contest. The guy said he bussed tables and washed dishes all summer to come to Hawaii and every time Pipe broke there was a contest on. Rabbit seemed to mellow a bit and said ok, don't do it again.
I got kicked out of an outer reef once by a movie crew. It was either "In God's Hands" or "Blue Crush". Brian Keaulana told me that they had a permit for the whole north shore and could kick anyone anywhere. I thought it was BS but he was nice enough to give me a ride to the next break.

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
And to top it off, Tosh Tudor got a wild card from Vans to Pipe. Seriously...WTF. I haven't seen this type of cronyism since Bush Jr. appointed the President of the Arabian Horse Association to the head of FEMA.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I watched when Shawn Briley tried to surf Pipe during an ASP contest. Shawn was out at 2nd reef Pipe and the two surfers in the heat were at Gums maybe 2 hundred yards away. The water patrol went out to talk to him but he stayed out. The ski came in and got a different rider who didn't take no for an answer and they brought him in.
Another time I was checking the surf when they were having a local contest at Pipe and there was a non-contestant in the line-up. He caught a good wave, got barreled and came in. When he was running up the beach Rabbit Kekai grabbed him and ask what the hell he was doing surfing in his contest. The guy said he bussed tables and washed dishes all summer to come to Hawaii and every time Pipe broke there was a contest on. Rabbit seemed to mellow a bit and said ok, don't do it again.
I got kicked out of an outer reef once by a movie crew. It was either "In God's Hands" or "Blue Crush". Brian Keaulana told me that they had a permit for the whole north shore and could kick anyone anywhere. I thought it was BS but he was nice enough to give me a ride to the next break.
Remember this one?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
And to top it off, Tosh Tudor got a wild card from Vans to Pipe. Seriously...WTF. I haven't seen this type of cronyism since Bush Jr. appointed the President of the Arabian Horse Association to the head of FEMA.
My exact thought when I saw the invites. Not that I've spent time there watching whos who in the lineup, but that one has Vans sponsored invite written all over it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My exact thought when I saw the invites. Not that I've spent time there watching whos who in the lineup, but that one has Vans sponsored invite written all over it.
Who fucking names their kid Tosh???
I have to think it’s due to dad’s love of Peter Tosh? Weed is tight.
Thats almost as bad as Glider.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
For the Socal brethren that would be like having a 1 star at San Onofrre, then a Challenger event at T-Street, then a CT event at Trestles, then a CT event at Uppers, then another CT back at Trestles, a bodysurfing event at San Onofre, then a 1 star at Cottons, then a specialty event at Trestles that can run when it's firing, then a big wave event at SC Pier with a 4 month holding period.
Don't forget San Clemente High School Surf Team practice and events, WSA, NSSA and US Surfing Prime.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
View attachment 139378
Flynn Novak, Pipeline, 2/14/21

Per the C&C of Honolulu North Shore Surf Event Calendar:

Sep 12 - Dec 3: Women's Waimea Bay Championship (was canceled in 2019; no media yet)
Oct 28 - Nov 6: Sunset Pro (WSL Regional Qualifier; no media yet)
Nov 26 - Dec 7: Haleiwa Challenger (WSL Challenger Series; no media yet)
Dec 8-20: Vans Pipe Masters (WSL Specialty; no details)
Dec 14 - Mar 13: Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational (no details)
Dec 22 - Jan 3: Haleiwa International Open (no media yet)
Jan 4-15: Da Hui Backdoor Shootout (no media yet)
Jan 17-28: Sunset Beach Pro (no media yet)
Jan 29 - Feb 10: Billabong Pro Pipeline (no media yet)
Feb 11-23: Hurley Pro Sunset Beach (no media yet)
Feb 24 - Mar 9: Pipeline Bodysurfing Classic (no media yet)
Apr 4-14: Hawaii Surfing Association, Haleiwa

Of note: Looks like no Vans Triple Crown of Surfing this winter (was all digital in Dec/Jan last winter).

See a trend?
Clearing the water for an event is the biggest nightmare for a contest director. The most effective method being to stop the non-contestents at the beach before they paddle out.