North Shore short term rental debacle boils over - winter pro circus threatened - Backpackers DONE?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I think the real cool part of Oahu is the amount of waves there are in town during the summer time.

Not many places in the world can have an amazing winter and immediately shift to world class summer swells.

Town is magical. More magical then north shore. Too me at least.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I get it, you don’t want subway coming for all your babes And barrels on the north shore. Understandable. Checking air bib right now :p:shaka:

• Haha
Reactions: bluemarlin04

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Just the amount of spots on every coast on Oahu is pretty cool. Other islands don't have that. I can think of 20-30 spots on each side of the island off the top of my head.
Oahu is indeed blessed, especially compared to Big Island, Guam, Catalina, and, hell, just about anywhere.

Reactions: racer1

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah I need to make a north shore pilgrimage one of these days while I’m still confident and capable in crowded powerful tropical reef surf . Late winter has always been my thought as well. The contests are over, the locals have been surfing their brains out since October, and hey, my very first time on a surf board was Waikiki 33 years ago. Haven’t been to Oahu since. maybe late February 2023?
2023?

That's like so last year duuue!

By the way, lemme borrow your time travel machine when you're done, there's a Hendrix concert on Maui that I missed and just HAVE TO attend!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shrug:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I dunno why anyone would visit oahu.

I live here and like it but I can think of 1000 better spots to visit
Let me know when you plan your next New Jersey winter surf trip. Here is a shot from last winter right around the time I would be heading to Hawaii this winter. That's snow by the way and if you look real close there is a surfer in there too.

Capture.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: racer1 and sponge

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
endless summer, the media and the idea of the traveling surfer ruined all the world's great surf breaks.

if we all learned to love to just surf our home break(s) when it broke versus exploiting someone else's home break it would not be what it is today

when you only surf your home break you learn other important ocean skills when there are no waves that's just as important to your growth as an ocean person as the joy and dopamine hit we get from surfing. That's also why things are the way they are. Surfers age out but ocean people never do.

And that's because most (there's many that don't) just exploit what they can from the ocean instead of learning from and living with it.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
There's this under the radar spot on the east side that I like to surf. Usually not crowded and pretty fun. Recently found youtube videos of Flynn Novak and a couple others. There is now always a camera setup and filming going on. It is all over instagram and filled with wannabe pros who have zero respect for the people who surf it regularly. They paddle out and hassle everyone. Oh well.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Some people must really love the north shore to pay $60 a night to sleep in a tent.

I wonder how much I can rent my driveway out to some vanlifer kook? :unsure:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Let me know when you plan your next New Jersey winter surf trip. Here is a shot from last winter right around the time I would be heading to Hawaii this winter. That's snow by the way and if you look real close there is a surfer in there too.

View attachment 120169
Been there done that. Lived in Newport RI.

Not saying I wouldn’t travel if I was you but in the winter I can think of way better spots to go then Oahu north shore.

Hell Maui and Kauai are better then Oahu.