North Shore short term rental debacle boils over - winter pro circus threatened - Backpackers DONE?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I know so many people who got in over their heads in Kailua. Buying expensive houses and basing their repayment on Airbnb rentals.
sounds like an opportunity to scoop up some cheaper foreclosures

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
sounds like an opportunity to scoop up some cheaper foreclosures
Actually, the exact opposite of what people thought would happen. People are bidding 300-500K over asking price.

Real estate went through the roof once the rich people realized there won't be Airbnb and visiting tourists won't be staying in the town. Turns out that people are willing to pay a premium for that.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Any town < 5 miles from the beach or < 10 miles from a ski resort has to deal with short-term rentals and the hurt they put on most long-time residents. IMO in most single-family residential areas they should be mostly forbidden. I think Honolulu County's solution to herd all the tourists into designated zones (Waikiki) makes it suck to be a visitor but is a big win for local residents.

People who live in locations where nobody wants to visit don't have an Airbnb problem.

Reactions: Chocki

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My cheat code for Vland is to only surf it when people consider it washed out and the current is nuking. Always surf it like that with only a handful of other people. Yeah the sets are wash throughs but the in betweens are kegs. If you have time to sit on your board then no it’s not big enough. You should be paddling non stop like Haleiwa.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
It's been years since the wife and I visited Oahu and we stayed in town for 3 days.
I have NEVER experienced traffic like that.
Can't fathom what its like now.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The best time to come is late January through March, but the Pipe Masters is now late January, so I’d suggest Feb-March. It’s mostly uncrowded and you can get the wave(s) of you life.

Outside of the main spots there’s so many waves.
Yeah I need to make a north shore pilgrimage one of these days while I’m still confident and capable in crowded powerful tropical reef surf . Late winter has always been my thought as well. The contests are over, the locals have been surfing their brains out since October, and hey, my very first time on a surf board was Waikiki 33 years ago. Haven’t been to Oahu since. maybe late February 2023?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
you think the rail line will be finished by 2050?
We can have a contest on who's boondoggle rail line gets finished first - California or Oahu. I think Oahu will win on time but CA is way ahead on wasted money.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Yeah I need to make a north shore pilgrimage one of these days while I’m still confident and capable in crowded powerful tropical reef surf . Late winter has always been my thought as well. The contests are over, the locals have been surfing their brains out since October, and hey, my very first time on a surf board was Waikiki 33 years ago. Haven’t been to Oahu since. maybe late February 2023?
North shore is extremely over rated

Lived oahu my whole life and don’t even bother

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don’t doubt it but I still have to go

I could even just take a 2 week trip to Kauai and fly over to Oahu for a few days if and when conditions look good for a multi day swell, hit one of you guys up to dial me in and get me nearly barreled and we’re good to go :bricks::)