North Shore short term rental debacle boils over - winter pro circus threatened - Backpackers DONE?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm currently trying to decide on where to go this winter. I really want to go to the North Shore but the accommodations situation there is a total turn off. I've been using airBnB and VRBO for my surf trips for a number of years. Before that I'd use local realtors who offered vacation rentals. I don't get why Hawaii has to make it so difficult for property owners and potential visitors. I also don't get why Honolulu's council gets to do this to the North Shore. I'm certainly not going to pay Hawaii prices to stay in Honolulu's tourist trap zone or somewhere else a half hour or more drive from where I want to surf. I have no interest in staying at a resort. That makes Turtle Bay Condos or shady on-line listings the only real options. I don't even feel I can trust the handful of listings that are on airBnB because of this set up.

I can easily and confidently line up an airBnB to fit my needs in Barbados, Puerto Rico, California, Mexico, Central America or pretty much anywhere else I'd ever want to surf.

I live in a beach town tourist trap so I totally get the issues in play but it seems Oahu is simply protecting the interests of the big hotel resorts. Oahu needs to realize that airBnb and VRBO are what a large portion of today's travelers want and that hotels and resorts generally suck. People want to travel and stay in places that feel like home away from home.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I'm currently trying to decide on where to go this winter. I really want to go to the North Shore but the accommodations situation there is a total turn off. I've been using airBnB and VRBO for my surf trips for a number of years. Before that I'd use local realtors who offered vacation rentals. I don't get why Hawaii has to make it so difficult for property owners and potential visitors. I also don't get why Honolulu's council gets to do this to the North Shore. I'm certainly not going to pay Hawaii prices to stay in Honolulu's tourist trap zone or somewhere else a half hour or more drive from where I want to surf. I have no interest in staying at a resort. That makes Turtle Bay Condos or shady on-line listings the only real options. I don't even feel I can trust the handful of listings that are on airBnB because of this set up.

I can easily and confidently line up an airBnB to fit my needs in Barbados, Puerto Rico, California, Mexico, Central America or pretty much anywhere else I'd ever want to surf.

I live in a beach town tourist trap so I totally get the issues in play but it seems Oahu is simply protecting the interests of the big hotel resorts. Oahu needs to realize that airBnb and VRBO are what a large portion of today's travelers want and that hotels and resorts generally suck. People want to travel and stay in places that feel like home away from home.
Completely wrong, it was done on behalf of the year round citizens not have neighborhoods ruined by short stay tourists.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Ya, the politicians are in bed with the corporations, same as everywhere
the whole island of Oahu resides within the county of Honolulu, their jurisdiction encompasses the whole island besides the military bases? you'd have to ask the erbb military men

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Ya, the politicians are in bed with the corporations, same as everywhere
the whole island of Oahu resides within the county of Honolulu, their jurisdiction encompasses the whole island besides the military bases? you'd have to ask the erbb military men
Its as if Downtown Orlando got to decide the tourism rules for the entire state of Florida. Of course they'd make it as difficult as possible to stay anywhere other than the Orlando tourist resorts.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Its as if Downtown Orlando got to decide the tourism rules for the entire state of Florida. Of course they'd make it as difficult as possible to stay anywhere other than the Orlando tourist resorts.
floriduh is a large state with a large population, takes 45 min to the NS with no traffic from town. totally different

Reactions: Boneroni

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Politicians don't care about people. This is 100% about protecting the hotel industry.

The difference with this policy is that it is one of the few that many people agree with because they don't like Airbnb in their neighborhoods.

The crazy thing is the crackdown of Airbnb had an opposite effect on property values. In some areas it shot the property values through the roof. The super rich realized they won't have to share with anyone and are willing to pay to get a property where no tourists will stay.

Personally, I'm ok with Airbnb as long as the owner lives on the property. I'm not a fan of the whole house being rented out. That being said, some people are rich enough that their decision is to now just leave their second home empty if they can't do Airbnb. They just don't want to deal with long term renters and don't need the income.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
My guess on how we got here: The tourism industry was such a huge part of our economy, state and local leaders decided to tax the hotels to help pay for local government. Of course, we have become reliant on these taxes. As tourists find alternative or under the table accommodations, the state loses funding. Believe that is why we now have a transient accommodations tax.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
My understanding is that the traffic from town to the NS is horrendous?
during commuting hours you will sit for ages on the freeway, the turtle traffic is perpetual near lani's. can be backed up any other time of the day for no reason. have seen traffic backed up starting near v--land, ehukai, etc. there really is no rhyme or reason besides it being a 2 lane road. haven't been back in a few years but heard it's gotten worse.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The traffic is awful. If you get there at sunrise then you might be ok. But it is regularly bumper to bumper on Kam hwy. That doesn't even account for the traffic on H1 west which looks like the 405 during afternoon traffic.

• Sad
Reactions: LifeOnMars