Noel Salad XTR10 review

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Would’ve been nice to know the densities of the EPS and polyurethane blanks, who made them and if they were 1st quality blanks or 2nds/defects. Not surprising the EPS fared the worst when you consider how much air is in that blank.

For those that don’t know, US Blanks offers 4 variations of EPS blanks and 6 different densities of poly blanks resulting in different weights and strengths. Check the chart below in case you ever wondered why they paint the noses of their blanks different colors. My magic combo for weight, durability and performance is a red blank with 4/4/4 S-glass for everything up to 7’6. Then I go blue for everything bigger for more glide
—————————
View attachment 161011
FYI my last order of US Blanks superfused was only available in 1.7lb. which I kind of liked, kind of a compromise between super light weight and dent resistance/dampening. US Blanks told me that 2.0 lb EPS is lighter than Red. I didn't ask how it compares to orange.

How different is the XTR from blue Dow XPS?

Dec 15, 2019
If you are indeed the original owner, reach out to XTR directly. Javier is a good guy and will do what he can for you to make things right. Try it and report back.
Emailed XTR yesterday haven't received a response. Guess I'll give them a few days before I ring them up. Here's maybe some better pics & vid for inquiring minds. Also sent it to them. Just really odd bubbling. Never seen this on a board?

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
My first thought was maybe their was an issue with the glassing... but for sure looks like a delam. Maybe they didn't put the thermo-vents on the bottom of the board?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Emailed XTR yesterday haven't received a response. Guess I'll give them a few days before I ring them up. Here's maybe some better pics & vid for inquiring minds. Also sent it to them. Just really odd bubbling. Never seen this on a board?

if that was a tomo that would have never happened!

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest
Dec 15, 2019

Received a response 8/15/23 that they would "take care of me on this issue." Followed up with some better video. Doesn't seem like I'm getting taken care of. I guess put this one in the regrettable YOLO decision category.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If some customer came to me with a delaminating surfboard I would probably email them a video about not leaving their board in the sun or a hot car and offer 10% off their next boar

• Haha
Reactions: Homie and HSY

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
Received a response 8/15/23 that they would "take care of me on this issue." Followed up with some better video. Doesn't seem like I'm getting taken care of. I guess put this one in the regrettable YOLO decision category.
They might be a little busy at the moment. I would suggest giving them a call or wait for an email response.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
they gave me a coupon code for $200 off my next board for my board fuck-up. Of course they did that a month before they changed the website so it didn't take coupons anymore. HA!

Dec 15, 2019
If some customer came to me with a delaminating surfboard I would probably email them a video about not leaving their board in the sun or a hot car and offer 10% off their next boar
Yes I would be suspicious of this as well if a customer came to me with my scenario. Been around for awhile owned 50 plus boards treat them all the same and never have seen anything like this. Board in question been sitting in the garage since March/April along with 10 or so others. No problems with those?? Even have 6 old boards sitting in a Van in AZ for months at a time. We use it to go to Mex. 119 degrees when we picked up the van this summer. Always fear for the worst and always expect the boards to be just foam. Two of the boards are even epoxy. Nope still all good. No delaming. They just get little more yella every year. So the car thing for to long... ehh??? Not that I make it a habit of leaving boards in the car while at home. Wouldn't raise a stink if I didn't feel it was a manufacturing defect.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yes I would be suspicious of this as well if a customer came to me with my scenario. Been around for awhile owned 50 plus boards treat them all the same and never have seen anything like this. Board in question been sitting in the garage since March/April along with 10 or so others. No problems with those?? Even have 6 old boards sitting in a Van in AZ for months at a time. We use it to go to Mex. 119 degrees when we picked up the van this summer. Always fear for the worst and always expect the boards to be just foam. Two of the boards are even epoxy. Nope still all good. No delaming. They just get little more yella every year. So the car thing for to long... ehh??? Not that I make it a habit of leaving boards in the car while at home. Wouldn't raise a stink if I didn't feel it was a manufacturing defect.
Wasnt insinuating you didnt know better. The fact you post here means you probs know better…

I meant it’s easy for the vendor to blame the user of mishandling in the case of surfboards. I had an OTR delam under the lams and the mfg offered me a $50 off new boar. I quickly unloaded the boar and never bought one from them again. It’s unfortunately a common tale.

Reactions: prsoza and Havoc

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
they gave me a coupon code for $200 off my next board for my board fuck-up. Of course they did that a month before they changed the website so it didn't take coupons anymore. HA!
They still take coupons, you just need to get a new one from Shey

I had a $50 off referral coupon from like 3 years ago and when I asked about it he just sent me one for the new site. There is a box to enter it during check out.

It bums me out to hear people are having communication issues with them, they've always been really responsive with me in the past. They did just change their email address twice so some things probably got lost in the shuffle and I'm guessing they are super busy + flush with orders after the redesign and all the hype around the 10 foam. I think fundamentally they are good people and will take care of you if you stay on them but I realize that's its own hassle.

In other news I got my CI TPH twin from them a few weeks back. It's gorgeous. Haven't gotten it wet yet... we've had too much swell lmao

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I sent them a message last week, got a response later the same day, put in an order for a Chilli, and they confirmed it the following day. Pretty easy.

Do most surfers suck at communication? Definitely. Ever try to meet somebody for a used board.....pshhhh .

I'll say this, I've never had an issue communicating with xtr since I've been ordering from them which has probably been 15+ years now and over a dozen boards. I've talked with them plenty of times through emails, calls, and in person. The email address at the top of their contacts page works fine and their phone works fine. You can do it guys.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
With all this talk of other shapers doing extruded polystyrene, I'm worried folks have forgotten, you probably shouldn't order extruded polystyrene construction from any builder other than XTR. They own the patent on the process that prevents (or almost prevents) delam.

Rusty tried doing the torsion spring construction with extruded a while back, and they drilled holes, so Javi had to make a couple phone calls, and Rusty doesn't offer that anymore. If you want extruded, you work with XTR. Prices are fair, and they ride great.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
With all this talk of other shapers doing extruded polystyrene, I'm worried folks have forgotten, you probably shouldn't order extruded polystyrene construction from any builder other than XTR. They own the patent on the process that prevents (or almost prevents) delam.

Rusty tried doing the torsion spring construction with extruded a while back, and they drilled holes, so Javi had to make a couple phone calls, and Rusty doesn't offer that anymore. If you want extruded, you work with XTR. Prices are fair, and they ride great.
Xtr does license their patent. Rusty had licensed it for a bit, and the boars featured a small xtr lam.

I think torsion spring didn’t catch on bc the carbons on the rail made for an awkwardly orca looking boar. I recall Dane ripping on its unique appearance in SITD.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Xtr does license their patent. Rusty had licensed it for a bit, and the boars featured a small xtr lam.

I think torsion spring didn’t catch on bc the carbons on the rail made for an awkwardly orca looking boar. I recall Dane ripping on its unique appearance in SITD.
Aha! News to me. Thanks for setting the record straight

Reactions: ReForest
Dec 15, 2019
Wasnt insinuating you didnt know better. The fact you post here means you probs know better…

I meant it’s easy for the vendor to blame the user of mishandling in the case of surfboards. I had an OTR delam under the lams and the mfg offered me a $50 off new boar. I quickly unloaded the boar and never bought one from them again. It’s unfortunately a common tale.
Ahhh. Lost in email translation....apologies. That really sucks. I'm planning to do the same thing. Need to fix it 1st. Being an Asym might make the unload a little challenging but maybe not

Last edited: