No Talk of the WSL leaving Hawaii?

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
jordanzs said:
Could Volcom rise up & hand their January 2019 waiting period to the WSL in exchange for the December 2019 WSL Pipe Masters slot, knowing that going forward, they will be the 3rd Triple Crown event? If I was the powers that be at Volcom, that's a trade that I would gladly make.
Not sure what role if any Volcom is playing in the current dispute, as it was WSL who applied for the January 2019 permit for the Volcom Pipe Pro and who is asking for the change to its own permit application (i.e., CT event instead of Volcom Pipe Pro in January 2019). The deadline to apply for a permit for the 2019-2020 North Shore season is summer of 2018, so no December 2019 events have even been scheduled yet.

jordanzs

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2006
Wilhelmina Rise
It sounds like the WSL is getting greedy by wanting a Pipe contest in both December of this year & January of next year.

Why not just let Volcom take their December 2018 window & call it the final stop of the Triple Crown, and then the WSL gets the January slot for the kickoff event of the 2019-2020 season.

If you're awarded a permit, can you trade it with another party?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Because the WSL already announced it's new tour schedule. Well, stab broke it unofficially I guess. Renato Hickel has confirmed it in a Brazilian mag interview though I think.

Oct 10, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
slopokecr said:
Mayor Caldwell: "Its not about money, its about Fairness"

Rumor: A certain NS local who is always sticking his hands in the permit cookie jar (and has been an outspoken critic of the WSL) is threatening to sue if the City makes the change.
It surprises me more people aren't talking about this point.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Sniper said:
It seems like a wavepool on Oahu would be a good move.
could put it in the craters formed by the bombs.

making lemon-ade out if lemons; so to speak...

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
oneula said:
can't wait

pretty much stopped going to the north shore once "professional" surfing started in the 70's
It was never as it was in 67-74 when we used to make the long drive up kunia every weekend in the dark.
lani's, chun's, kammies, inside sunset and rockies with just a hand full of guys out.
everyone stoned on pakalolo or hash laid back with smiles
no real rush to do anything but surf, eat, nap and surf again before heading home after sunset.
we used to take naps sunning on the black boulders at chuns after washing off in the cold fresh water after surfing lanis all morning.
all gone now especially with turtle beach.

At least I was lucky enough to have those memories of what it used to be.
it all just makes me sad and frustrated when I pass through these days.

Surfing doesn't need any help promoting itself anymore
Its already earned its seat at the table
That sounds like absolute heaven.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Hdip said:
I could be wrong, but this is my understanding.

The WSL wants to end the 2018 season in December at pipe as it's been. Then start the 2019 season in January at pipe. Volcom pro also wants to run at pipe in 2019. I think that would be the problem. So the volcom pro would get pushed out. They couldn't switch volcom pipe pro to Dec 2018 as WSL is ending at pipe that year. They couldn't run volcom pipe pro in Jan 2019 as planned due to WSL wanting January 2019 dates. So that would mean no volcom pipe pro from the contest that just ended last week until 2020.
Now I get it. Why would the WSL think they could pull this off?

And the mayor needs to do a better job of explaining his position.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
WE goes with ME in the bropro surfing world.

We get the waves we want because it's our job and hey, we need to a earn a living. More often than not, we get shown the secret spots when we roll into town with our crew because we're cool like that. We get our photos in the mags because our sponsors are the advertisers. And we brown nose and suck up to photographers as much as we can to get those shots. No really, the photographer is my best friend.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Clayster said:
Hdip said:
And the mayor needs to do a better job of explaining his position.
The mayor doesn't need to do sh!t because that fook is done already! Absolutely to be replaced next election. Hope he is enjoying his drink, dinners and hoopla cuz it's a wrap.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Nearly Official now...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/honolulu-mayor-denies-the-wsls-pipe-masters-permit-variance-its-nearly-official-no-hawaiian-wct-events-in-2019_151788/

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Truly embarrassing for the WSL.

I don't see how any of this can be blamed on the Mayor, and we've blamed for A LOT of other stuff.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
So let's say Hawaii is out for 2019. Do you think this opens up another "Rip Curl Pro Search" or "Quiksilver Pro" scenario? They go back to NYC or SF? Fill in the void with strange destinations in attempts to engage a new demographic?

Oct 10, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Racer1 said:

I don't see how any of this can be blamed on the Mayor, and we've blamed for A LOT of other stuff.
I agree with you based on the released documents. I do believe the Mayor was put in a tough spot because even if he wanted to help the WSL by allowing them to make the requested changes after the cutoff date, he knows if he did, it will be followed by a lawsuit accusing him of favoritism, corruption and bribery. And I am sure most know who would file a lawsuit, but because of surf politics no one is pointing fingers directly at the North Shore and their un-elected spokesperson(s).

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Racer1 said:
Slater seems to think so about the mayor

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Racer1 said:

One of the articles stated that the mayor does not even make these decisions. They are made by parks and resources (i think) to avoid a perceived conflict of interest.
It seems that WSL is appealing to the mayor to intercede and make an exception to the rules.
Hawaii govt. made the rules, they were laid out plainly, and the WSL did not follow them.

Seems that way to me anyway.

That aside, it sounds like there's a fair amount of corruption in local HAW govt. from what you guys are saying.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Looks like this site updated and has more info.

http://www.k5thehometeam.com/story/37428338/dispute-over-permitting-may-jeopardize-world-surf-league-tour-in-hawaii

A pertinent passage

""The city and county, the state, have rules and regulations. Nobody should be pushing anybody, telling them, 'If I don't get it (permits) in these two weeks I'm pulling out.' You wanna pull out, pull out. There's somebody around that would like to have your spot. It's as simple as that," said Earl Dahlin, who organizes the Haleiwa International Open.

City officials say they will continue their dialogue with the WSL organization, and that no final decisions have been made."

Also, no more women at Honolua?
"WSL also wants to move the Maui Women’s Pro to the North Shore and run it in conjunction with the Men’s Vans World Cup at Sunset Beach, which the World Surf League has also already applied for a permit for a waiting period at the end of November. In order to accomplish this, WSL officials are asking to extend the competition window by one day from four to five."

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Boneroni said:
Also, no more women at Honolua?
"WSL also wants to move the Maui Women’s Pro to the North Shore and run it in conjunction with the Men’s Vans World Cup at Sunset Beach, which the World Surf League has also already applied for a permit for a waiting period at the end of November. In order to accomplish this, WSL officials are asking to extend the competition window by one day from four to five."
that's been a very successful event for them :shrug: couple world titles being decided at that contest.
WTF is the WSL doing :socrazy: