Nineteen Eighty Four

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I was in the water on the north side during the infamous beach riots in 85?86? I remember from the water just thinking as a 15? yr old, what the heck is going on!!! Surfed for quite a while as it was unfolding. Avoided the area when we got out.
Went down with a group headed by Jeanine Curren to watch TC. Got some cool shots of him from the pier. @Duffy LaCoronilla were you in that group??

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was in the water on the north side during the infamous beach riots in 85?86? I remember from the water just thinking as a 15? yr old, what the heck is going on!!! Surfed for quite a while as it was unfolding. Avoided the area when we got out.
Went down with a group headed by Jeanine Curren to watch TC. Got some cool shots of him from the pier. @Duffy LaCoronilla were you in that group??
I was there but not with them.

Reactions: JBerry

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
It wasn't televised here, but there was 10 second mention on the evening news thereafter. I thought that was a shame for well meaning surfers, fans and Californians

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Was hanging out with my teenage son last night watching a bunch of surfing on YouTube. Asked him to look up the OP Pro and he found the telecast of the 1984 OP Pro. I've got to say, the surfing was so bad that it was kind of embarrassing to watch with my kid. LOL!!!!
What? You and your sons must farkin rip.

I just watched the first couple of waves with Curren and Parmenter and had to stop the video just to write this to say you are off your rocker.

You see that carve/wrap that Parmenter did on that feeble lip? That was all power and muscle. Those wave are gutless. Curren looks great too. This is before the Huntington Hop thank God, it was about creating flow. These two look polished to me.

Funny seeing boardshorts I used to own.

Please bring back bikini contests and beers at the beach, I think we can handle it now with our Animal Farm surveillance of today.

Parmenter was well spoken even back then.

I dig it.

Reactions: mundus and tacos

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego

I just watched the first couple of waves with Curren and Parmenter and had to stop the video just to write this to say you are off your rocker.

You see that carve/wrap that Parmenter did on that feeble lip? That was all power and muscle. Those wave are gutless. Curren looks great too. This is before the Huntington Hop thank God, it was about creating flow. These two look polished to me.

Please bring back bikini contests and beers at the beach, I think we can handle it now with our Animal Farm surveillance of today.

I dig it.
HA - Spoke too soon about the Huntington Hop.

Feel for Wes Laine - 6'4 in that stuff, I get it. Cheyne's Star Fin bogs in that stuff.

All Natural Ladies - Were there even gyms in 1984? Joggers?

Check out Kim Mereg's Twin with that cool looking trailer. After busting out a fin she grabs a Rusty (Canyon) grabs one wave, doesn't like it, then grabs an Al Merrrick. Classic.

Dave Stanfield killing it on the mic.

Jet skis' surfing a wave and catching air.

Flashback - This is rad between watching football.

Curren killed it in the final. Horan's single looked better but no release at slow speed.

Gotta appreciate the timing with re-entry's in that type of wave with those type's of boards.

Last edited:

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
I went to all the OP Pros - would ride my bike down in the dark

Remember seeing Rabbit walking down Main street and I thought he looked homeless - saw Curren and was tripping how small he was - those dudes seemed larger in life in the mags

Also, saw Martin Potter surf a heat alone - other person was a no show - he was on that green board - remember I had never seen anyone surf like him - he was so fast and radical for the time - it was a free surf for him so he was ripping
I remember seeing OCCY for the first time and thinking wow everything just changed. the year before it was still Cheyne and MR.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
[QUOTE="SlicedFeet, post: 3327256, member: 1050

I dig it.
[/QUOTE]
thhhhh sa wwwwwd!!!!

Reactions: JBerry

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

I dig it.
I'm old and slow. The youngster and his peers surf at a pretty advanced level.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I went to all the OP Pros - would ride my bike down in the dark

Remember seeing Rabbit walking down Main street and I thought he looked homeless - saw Curren and was tripping how small he was - those dudes seemed larger in life in the mags

Also, saw Martin Potter surf a heat alone - other person was a no show - he was on that green board - remember I had never seen anyone surf like him - he was so fast and radical for the time - it was a free surf for him so he was ripping
Great memories from OP preteens first meeting my hereo Dane Kealoha second watching Martin.Potter dawn patrol North side of pier going left he snaked a teen then did huge bs reentry over teen dinged his board and started going off on teen for being in his way