Nicaragua travel update

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Has anyone here flown from LAX to MGA recently with the PCR tests? If so, do you know if the tests performed at LAX are accepted by Avianca and the Nica government?

I checked with the lab, and they don't provide a seal or dr signature, which Avianca says is required, but I've heard that as long as the lab has an approved CLIA number, Avianca and Nica will accept it. The lab at LAX does have that CLIA number.

Thanks! Trying to pin this down this weekend since I leave next week.

Kool-Aid - did your PCR test have any signature or seal, and was it accepted by Nica? (Did you do it at the airport?)

Yeah, it had all the details, lab results, letter, signature.

I'd recommend finding a fast turnaround PCR lab somewhere in LA.

They send all your documentation to the airline and ministry of health.

Reactions: scdad

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hate it when that happens, I got mine in Mx 2 days later. On another note how is weather/surf in Sept/Oct? All day washouts? Should still be some South swell?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Has anyone had success recovering a lost bag from Avianca? If so, how long did it take?

It's pumping here and boards didn't show up.

If they don't show up, anyone know the best place to get a board around here? Shops in Colorados have pretty slim pickings.
I'm guessing you checked both Stop and Go surf, and NSR? Ask Mateo at Villa Colorados, it's down the street from Pili's a bit further up the road from the Rio Dulce condos. If you see his white truck in the parking lot, he is probably home, knock on the garage door. The pro shop in Manzanillo had some super nice timberteks for rent, but my guess is you will pay a premium renting there. There are some boards on the rack at Pilis as well, the bar tender speaks good english.

Reactions: JDJ

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
Has anyone had success recovering a lost bag from Avianca? If so, how long did it take?

It's pumping here and boards didn't show up.

If they don't show up, anyone know the best place to get a board around here? Shops in Colorados have pretty slim pickings.
This is truly a reoccurring nightmare of mine to the point that I always shlep a pair of board shorts and viper fins in my carryon just in case.
I hope your boards turn up soon.

Reactions: MathDebater

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm guessing you checked both Stop and Go surf, and NSR? Ask Mateo at Villa Colorados, it's down the street from Pili's a bit further up the road from the Rio Dulce condos. If you see his white truck in the parking lot, he is probably home, knock on the garage door. The pro shop in Manzanillo had some super nice timberteks for rent, but my guess is you will pay a premium renting there. There are some boards on the rack at Pilis as well, the bar tender speaks good english.
I did, everything seems like it's either a 5'8 or a 6'6 and beat to hell.

Had a friend who speaks fluent Spanish call Avianca and tracked the boards to the airport in Managua. Now they're working on getting them delivered here. Apparently, you can't just go pick them up at any time. What a joke.

In all the surf travel I've done, I've never had a bag not show up. Probably been lucky to have that much consistency but it's absolutely pumping here and this is like low-key torture.

On the flipside, Nica seems pretty great. Colorados is awesome and a very fun beach break. I'm surprised by how round the wave is without it seeming like it's going to break your neck or back (which I'm sure it can) but I'd call it fairly approachable.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018

Had a friend who speaks fluent Spanish call Avianca and tracked the boards to the airport in Managua. Now they're working on getting them delivered here. Apparently, you can't just go pick them up at any time. What a joke.

In all the surf travel I've done, I've never had a bag not show up. Probably been lucky to have that much consistency but it's absolutely pumping here and this is like low-key torture.

On the flipside, Nica seems pretty great. Colorados is awesome and a very fun beach break. I'm surprised by how round the wave is without it seeming like it's going to break your neck or back (which I'm sure it can) but I'd call it fairly approachable.
Looks like you got a nice swell in. When I was there it was heaving and dredging i think because there were 2 swells in the water a large 5ft @17sec from SW and a smaller 5ft@10sec from S. The south swell was making it double up on sets and closing out. Spent most of my time at Pangas and took boats out the Lances and Manzanillo. I highly recommend going to Lances on this swell, it will be macking.

Feb 9, 2019

Chris the french dude at Popoyo board repairs has some decent hire boards and a couple for sale as well.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
How's the current political unrest treating travellers these days? Hearing reports of Ortega jailing numerous presidential candidates running against him.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Honestly from my perspective, if someone didn't tell you about the political unrest, you'd never know. Folks out here by the beach clearly are not concerned.

5 days later I finally got my boards. Insane that it took this long. Fortunately, they arrived unscathed. Definitely a huge bummer. It's been pumping and I've broken two rental leashes so far.

I guess the only upside is that I had to extend my trip to catch the next major swell and there's still decent swell in the water so it's not like it's flat or anything.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Honestly from my perspective, if someone didn't tell you about the political unrest, you'd never know. Folks out here by the beach clearly are not concerned.

5 days later I finally got my boards. Insane that it took this long. Fortunately, they arrived unscathed. Definitely a huge bummer. It's been pumping and I've broken two rental leashes so far.

I guess the only upside is that I had to extend my trip to catch the next major swell and there's still decent swell in the water so it's not like it's flat or anything.
WOW - bummer about the issue with the boards. Yeah - not too many surf shops up your way .... there used to be a shop in the strip mall just outside the entrance to Iguana ... guessing not there anymore. There are a couple of shops in San Juan Del Sur as well ... but same situation with rental boards beat to hell. It was pumping down my way yesterday .... looks like the swell angle is going to change going into the weekend .... should get better.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
WOW - bummer about the issue with the boards. Yeah - not too many surf shops up your way .... there used to be a shop in the strip mall just outside the entrance to Iguana ... guessing not there anymore. There are a couple of shops in San Juan Del Sur as well ... but same situation with rental boards beat to hell. It was pumping down my way yesterday .... looks like the swell angle is going to change going into the weekend .... should get better.
Actually turns out there are some OK boards at stop n go that I didn't see. Got my boards today so it no longer mattered. Not sure if they are for sale or for rent. But in a pitch, they do have some sticks that look acceptable.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
A bit lined up at Colorados this am. Some good ones but only on the very rare occasion. Crowd is ripping (and not in a good way).
Bummer .... hopefully will get better up there this afternoon. I am waiting on the tide here ... heading out in about an hour. I think high tide is around 4 .... incoming mid-to-high tide was really good on Friday .... no wind as well right now - from my house San Juan Del Sur bay is looking glassy.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Scored this morning just after dawn. 2.5 hours, 3-6 feet, glassy to offshore. My late morning session was socal on shore. Still acceptable since I can trunk it. It's pretty hacked now so I'm going it glasses off in a few.

View attachment 111982
Nice! - i paddled out this afternoon - it was firing and glassy .... about 45 min into the session the wind turned side shore and the rest of the session was brutal. Definitely more energy in the water since Friday - the swell angle is also a bit off. Looks like it is going to slowly back off and then another swell is expected next weekend.