Nicaragua travel update

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Should I be worried about that? Can I ask the crew the best way to get from the airport to Colorados?
From either LIberia or Managua roads are paved until you get to the entrance of Hacienda Iguana. Unless there is a hurricane level storm - nothing to worry about. Within Iguana and venturing to various surf spots it can get pretty muddy. The mud here is crazy - it can be super soft so you sink in or slick as ice.

Reactions: kool-aid

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I'm always surprised about how well kept the main roads are in Nicaragua. I guess the military prioritizes good roads for transporting their gear around. They don't use asphalt pavement, but bricks instead. Seems expensive, but probably easier to repair if the road is washed out since all you need to do is restack the bricks.

Reactions: JDJ

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I'm always surprised about how well kept the main roads are in Nicaragua. I guess the military prioritizes good roads for transporting their gear around. They don't use asphalt pavement, but bricks instead. Seems expensive, but probably easier to repair if the road is washed out since all you need to do is restack the bricks.
LOL - I think the military actually has about 3 transport trucks and two helicopters total. The PanAmerican Hwy is actually paved - the rest is the compressed cinder brinks .... they seem to hold up pretty well with the rain.

This is what happened to our car during the last hurricane ....

20201008_113417.jpg

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Got some feedback yesterday that Colorados has a very narrow tide window. Anyone want to confirm or deny?
I found it easier to surf and bigger at high tide, but low tide holds barrels open longer. It was a 10' tide swing the week I was there. Dead low and dead high are a mess. And watch out at low tide for the river rip, stay well right of it otherwise it will push you way out and back left into the messy rock area break that was super closing out and dredging 10' sand in the air. Total pain in the ass to swim back up north and not get destroyed by that closeout.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I found it easier to surf and bigger at high tide, but low tide holds barrels open longer. It was a 10' tide swing the week I was there. Dead low and dead high are a mess. And watch out at low tide for the river rip, stay well right of it otherwise it will push you way out and back left into the messy rock area break that was super closing out and dredging 10' sand in the air. Total pain in the ass to swim back up north and not get destroyed by that closeout.
good to know

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Its seems to have a pretty small tide window, at least where it's good. I think medium high. I surfed at low tide and its was like closed out and big river jetties but warm.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Has anyone here flown from LAX to MGA recently with the PCR tests? If so, do you know if the tests performed at LAX are accepted by Avianca and the Nica government?

I checked with the lab, and they don't provide a seal or dr signature, which Avianca says is required, but I've heard that as long as the lab has an approved CLIA number, Avianca and Nica will accept it. The lab at LAX does have that CLIA number.

Thanks! Trying to pin this down this weekend since I leave next week.

Kool-Aid - did your PCR test have any signature or seal, and was it accepted by Nica? (Did you do it at the airport?)

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
good to know
The comments posted regarding the tide are accurate but like anywhere else .... depends on the time of year, swell energy, etc. May-June - is probably the heaviest time of year with the largest swells and so low tide can have severe consequences ... I've seen broken backs, necks, shoulders, etc. This time of year it seems there is more water moving around ... getting caught inside at low tide on a sizable day - even at a beach break you can get the crap beat out of you repeatedly. When you get later in the season - Sept-Oct ... not as critical at low tide .... less extreme currents etc. but you still have to be careful of being driven into a sandbar.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Has anyone here flown from LAX to MGA recently with the PCR tests? If so, do you know if the tests performed at LAX are accepted by Avianca and the Nica government?

I checked with the lab, and they don't provide a seal or dr signature, which Avianca says is required, but I've heard that as long as the lab has an approved CLIA number, Avianca and Nica will accept it. The lab at LAX does have that CLIA number.

Thanks! Trying to pin this down this weekend since I leave next week.

Kool-Aid - did your PCR test have any signature or seal, and was it accepted by Nica? (Did you do it at the airport?)
I just showed my PCR test result from the CVS health app on my phone. But, it was at the Nica/Costa Rica border.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I heard a rumor that the political situation is starting to get tense down there right now. Or tenser than normal anyway. Any truth to it?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I heard a rumor that the political situation is starting to get tense down there right now. Or tenser than normal anyway. Any truth to it?
There's an election coming up in November ... over the past couple of weeks several people who were expected to run or announce their plans to run against the current administration were arrested for various reasons. Mrs. Flyinraptr and i were up in Managua for a couple of days earlier this week .... everything was chill ... did not see as many police/military check points as we normally do. Side note - new swell filling in - yesterday was fun chest high - today energy and wave size picked up ... suppose to peak around mid-week.

I rolled up to this yesterday morning - fun 4 hour solo session .... got better as the tide filled in. ...

20210619_070143.jpg