Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Not me. Kind of a mush burger mostly from what I have seen and heard

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Yeah - this last swell was big and firing... lots of pics up on social media .... here's a couple i grabbed courtesy of gerado_photo ... i have some pics as well but keep getting a parsing error when trying to upload.

Screenshot 2021-04-27 111500.png

Screenshot 2021-04-27 111543.png

I was able to catch the last couple days .... been laid up for a little over a month. I had a bad fall (non-surf related - fell off a terraza onto a retaining wall with a handrail) - fractured elbow, fractured hand, pretty deep gash on the elbow - had to do the whole emergency room deal and get stitches - freaked Mrs. Flyinraptr out. I just had her take the stitches out last week - elbow and hand are still pretty sore but paddled out Saturday - firing - Overhead bombs coming through - big fast barrels. I floundered for about 2 hours - trying to scratch into something under the lip without getting pitched... was about to call it a day and somehow lucked into the right spot - caught two stand up barrels back to back. Can't wait for the next swell to arrive this Friday - should be big again. Water is warm now - in the 84 degree range.

The border with Costa Rica is now officially open - seeing planes overhead for the first time in a while. The Liberia route - seems to be the best option with regards to Covid testing etc. Haven't heard of any changes with on the Nica side.

Cheers ....

P.S. - I've never seen a mush burger in Nica!!! LOL

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah - this last swell was big and firing... lots of pics up on social media .... here's a couple i grabbed courtesy of gerado_photo ... i have some pics as well but keep getting a parsing error when trying to upload.

View attachment 108556

View attachment 108557

I was able to catch the last couple days .... been laid up for a little over a month. I had a bad fall (non-surf related - fell off a terraza onto a retaining wall with a handrail) - fractured elbow, fractured hand, pretty deep gash on the elbow - had to do the whole emergency room deal and get stitches - freaked Mrs. Flyinraptr out. I just had her take the stitches out last week - elbow and hand are still pretty sore but paddled out Saturday - firing - Overhead bombs coming through - big fast barrels. I floundered for about 2 hours - trying to scratch into something under the lip without getting pitched... was about to call it a day and somehow lucked into the right spot - caught two stand up barrels back to back. Can't wait for the next swell to arrive this Friday - should be big again. Water is warm now - in the 84 degree range.

The border with Costa Rica is now officially open - seeing planes overhead for the first time in a while. The Liberia route - seems to be the best option with regards to Covid testing etc. Haven't heard of any changes with on the Nica side.

Cheers ....
Thanks for the updates

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Let's try this again using a different browser .... some shots i took with my cell phone ... Saturday including myself there were a total of 4 people in the water at this spot.

20210417_075030.jpg

20210417_072020.jpg

Rights and lefts to be had but ...but apparently my dog is not impressed....

20210417_075547.jpg

If you zoom in - you can get an idea of size - set waves 3 deep out the back ...

20210417_075029.jpg

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Thinking of a trip in July/Aug, stay at Igauna or elsewhere? Would like trip to be as hassle free as possible, any and all suggestions appreciated.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Thinking of a trip in July/Aug, stay at Igauna or elsewhere? Would like trip to be as hassle free as possible, any and all suggestions appreciated.
Depends on what type of trip you're looking for .... there are a handful of surf camps operating now that will cater to every need versus doing it on your own. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Hassle free typically means surf camp ... a couple of different options in the Iguana/Popoyo area ... if looking for more uncrowded waves - would consider central or northern Nica. Miramar and Thunderbomb are a couple of options that come to mind in central/northern Nica.

Reactions: mundus

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Thunderbomb for is basically barrels and removing sand from areas you didn’t think sand could get into. Plus not a guarantee of all day offshores.
Popoyo area for variety. beach breaks galore, reefs, points nearby and all levels of experience. Plus more of a guarantee allday offshores.
I’ve done the math of doing it by yourself or doing hassle free surf camp. It’s basically $20 more per day to have someone pick you up at the airport, drive you to all the spots via car or boatride and everything is included. No worries about where to find food, where to park and keep your sh!t save and secure, and they always put you in the best spot according to the swell and conditions. It does take away the aspect of the search and hunt and sometimes you feel like you’re not in complete control but it’s nice to let someone else drive you around for once and just kick back and let it happen instead of stressing about the where, when, how, and why...

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Also, I was just reading that with the new CDC guidance, it may be possible to return to the US without having to go to Managua to get the PCR test, and instead, you can use an at home antigen test and just do a telehealth appointment with the lab. That would be sweet to save driving back & forth to Managua during the trip. I haven't read of any success stories on that, but I'm monitoring it. I hope it works.

Subway - how was the Exit? No issues or administrative headaches? I think you're leaving around this weekend, no?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for all replies, I am going with the surf camp route. I am still thinking it over, may wait till the mask requirement for flying is gone. Any one want to share any suggestions for camps?

Reactions: Dekerwild

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I know antigen test is acceptable coming back from international but how would the at home work, bring it down with you?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Also, I was just reading that with the new CDC guidance, it may be possible to return to the US without having to go to Managua to get the PCR test, and instead, you can use an at home antigen test and just do a telehealth appointment with the lab. That would be sweet to save driving back & forth to Managua during the trip. I haven't read of any success stories on that, but I'm monitoring it. I hope it works.

Subway - how was the Exit? No issues or administrative headaches? I think you're leaving around this weekend, no?
It was easy. use google maps or Waze to get to the test center in the morning. In and out in under an hour, results posted online by 3:30. We left a day early for a little buffer but we probably could have flown same day. There are a couple of online forms to do too. So it’s “easy” but there is a process. So we left iguana yesterday at 7 am, drove straight to the conchita minsa test site, got there by 9:30, then went to the best western at the airport. Pool, edible food, not a bad way to spend your last 24 hours in country. We fly home this afternoon (Sunday the 16th) Oh and the front desk will happily print out your test results and the other random departure form, so that’s easy too. You do need hard copies of those things- not just a screen shot. While many countries are indeed allowing the home test kit or antigen test, Nica still require PCR coming and going.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus and scdad

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I should emphasize that Nica requires THEIR test to leave, but you also use that same hard copy result to enter the US. I think they just need all the money they can get. The test is $150 per person. And if you’re not renting a car, get a hold of Yasmil transport service and he and his crew can make the whole thing even easier. Supposedly he even has contacts to make sure you get your results right away

Last edited:

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for all replies, I am going with the surf camp route. I am still thinking it over, may wait till the mask requirement for flying is gone. Any one want to share any suggestions for camps?
Surf Sanctuary is killer! 3 min walk to Santana, 12 min car ride to Popoyo and other spots by boat....it’s off the Eurotrash radar you might find in other populated areas. Great pool and amazing staff. Owners Tony and Nancy are awesome too. Chill spot.

Reactions: mundus

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site

can you keep me seriously updated on this?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
It was easy. use google maps or Waze to get to the test center in the morning. In and out in under an hour, results posted online by 3:30. We left a day early for a little buffer but we probably could have flown same day. There are a couple of online forms to do too. So it’s “easy” but there is a process. So we left iguana yesterday at 7 am, drove straight to the conchita minsa test site, got there by 9:30, then went to the best western at the airport. Pool, edible food, not a bad way to spend your last 24 hours in country. We fly home this afternoon (Sunday the 16th) Oh and the front desk will happily print out your test results and the other random departure form, so that’s easy too. You do need hard copies of those things- not just a screen shot. While many countries are indeed allowing the home test kit or antigen test, Nica still require PCR coming and going.
could you shoot me the address of the joint that conducts the test? seriously did an online search and couldnt find sh!t