Nicaragua travel update

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Already has some fun sessions at Panga drops and Colorado. I should have brought a bigger board for Panga Drops. There is a lot of water moving.
Great!! Tip - PD's - current on the inside is going from left to right as you're looking at it from the beach .... when its big if you try to paddle straight back out to the main peak you'll get sucked into the middle bowl section - paddle parallel to the beach and then out and around the reef - it's a longer distance but the current will do most of the work.

Reactions: JTS and JDJ

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Help Nica professionals? How is the internet down here? Where is the best place to post up for 10 days for some surfing with a regular work schedule? Colorados?

How hard is it really to get in and out with the testing / if I'm solo? Should I be worried about traveling solo?

Can't handle another day of sad, foggy, waveless SF.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Reactions: flyinraptr

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yesterday was macking. My group has a boat and we’re trying avoid the crowds. The region is a lot more than Colorado, even though that wave is pretty amazing
Sounds like access to a boat is key in Nica if you really want to score.

Also how hard would it be to score a ki?

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
It’s not hard to rent one but it seems hard to find reliable boat access with a crew that knows where to go.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Sounds like access to a boat is key in Nica if you really want to score.

Also how hard would it be to score a ki?
A boat is not required but if you're down here on a short stay ... it is definitely more convenient and saves a lot of time. If doing it via land ... a 4x4 is recommended ... during rainy season it is pretty much mandatory. Most boats in the Popoyo area operate out of Playa Gigante .... and will pick you up on the beach at whatever place you're staying at. There used to be several options as far as boats go ... but tourist dependent operators have been hit the hardest and i'm sure the majority have gone out of business.

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Help Nica professionals? How is the internet down here? Where is the best place to post up for 10 days for some surfing with a regular work schedule? Colorados?

How hard is it really to get in and out with the testing / if I'm solo? Should I be worried about traveling solo?

Internet service is dependent on where you're staying at. WifiNica is probably the most popular - especially in the Popoyo - Playa Colorado's area. Expensive and speeds are generally under 3Mbps. I used to use them but dropped them as the reliability of their service became an issue. Last couple years - new providers have been showing up ...as well as the installation of fiber optic in certain areas. Where i am at - San Juan Del Sur .... i am getting between 15-20Mbps download speed and paying a little over $30 a month.

Reactions: JDJ

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
1st day in El Salvador (always go to Nica) and the swell is going off!

Here’s my traveling COVID-19 trip advice. Get at least 2 test on separate days leading up to the 72 hours required before the flight. I used CVS or Walgreens. Some airlines are unclear of exactly what they want. Results before 72 hours or was the specimen taken 72 hours before?? Almost didn’t make the flight with the 1st test (specimen taken 96 hrs before flight but results in 72hrs) and used the results from 2nd test which had the appropriate time frame. Also, print multiple paper copies. Barely made it through customs trying to use the 2nd test using the app on my phone which got me on the flight but only when I showed them the 1st test paper copy did they allow me in. 2 tests, used them both but stocked!!

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Just got back yesterday. Winds are pretty strong out of the south. Best breaks at the moment are Lance's left and Manzanillo because they have some wind protection. 1 out of 10 waves at Colorados would stay open, most closeout because of the south wind swell. I flew in to Costa Rica/Liberia. Not sure what is the cheapest easiest option. Costa Rica requires insurance for 5 days. So $60 when you arrive, then another $60 to get back in from Nica. Plus, another $60 to get the covid test at the airport before flying back. I flew delta so the only flight was early morning so I had to waste more money getting a hotel room the night before at the Hilton across the street. It's a long hike to drag your boards across the border neutral zone, but no complications. Make sure you stay to the right of the river mouth at Colorados, otherwise the current can pull you south towards the rocks especially at low tide, it was mega closeout with like 10 foot faces dredging up 20 feet of sand on impact, not safe for you back or neck. Pangas was more fun, the wedge on the right side had some standup barrels that were make-able.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018

I use google FI and had no problems with coverage around Nica, it connected with Claro automatically. Wifi at the resorts I visited were good too. Colorados is sick. Hit up Mateo at nicatime. He arranged everything for me. I got in a day at the Mukul resort at Manzanillo, which was super awesome, felt like a billionaire since it was virtually empty there because of Covid. Boat trips out to Playgrounds/Lance's left is pretty cheap too if you can stand rough seas these days.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
We were definitely there at the same time, @PeterDj.

I was probably at Lance's when you were at Mazanillo, and vice versa. Lance's was working really good. Even at a higher tide, the sand at Colorado didn't seem great. That didn't stop my leash from snapping on a 2 foot wave. Panga Drops surprised me. Very fun. It reminded me of a gnarlier, offshore Cottons, with big peaks to chase down.

I stayed at Dale Dagger's Surf Lodge, which, as I mentioned earlier, was the best experience I've had at a surf camp, hands down. Amazing crew and package.

Reactions: flyinraptr

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
We were definitely there at the same time, @PeterDj.

I was probably at Lance's when you were at Mazanillo, and vice versa. Lance's was working really good. Even at a higher tide, the sand at Colorado didn't seem great. That didn't stop my leash from snapping on a 2 foot wave. Panga Drops surprised me. Very fun. It reminded me of a gnarlier, offshore Cottons, with big peaks to chase down.

I stayed at Dale Dagger's Surf Lodge, which, as I mentioned earlier, was the best experience I've had at a surf camp, hands down. Amazing crew and package.
Awesome! My arms were burnt out for Manzanillo after the day before at Lance's. I felt like I needed a mellow surf day at Gigante just to get my confidence back from all the poundings. I think I saw you guys launching out of gigante when we were launching too. First day we did playgrounds in the morning then Lances. Second day just Lances. Third day was Manzanillo. My weekend warrior arms just didn't have the power after all that boat paddling. The 20-30 year olds in my group were just ripping and mega stock'ed. I almost preferred Colorado's and Panga's hold downs because it was a shorter paddle at least.

Reactions: JDJ and flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Awesome! My arms were burnt out for Manzanillo after the day before at Lance's. I felt like I needed a mellow surf day at Gigante just to get my confidence back from all the poundings. I think I saw you guys launching out of gigante when we were launching too. First day we did playgrounds in the morning then Lances. Second day just Lances. Third day was Manzanillo. My weekend warrior arms just didn't have the power after all that boat paddling. The 20-30 year olds in my group were just ripping and mega stock'ed. I almost preferred Colorado's and Panga's hold downs because it was a shorter paddle at least.
Looks like you guys timed it right ... surfed yesterday ,,,, first session less than head high in a month ... energy in the water has definitely dropped. Looks like we've got a week reprieve before the next run of swell ... in the meantime ... first substantial rainfall of the season last night. I met a crew from San Diego/San Clemente in the parking lot yesterday as well ... they were staying in Iguana but ventured down south my way ... from the sounds of it looked like they were having a great trip as well. Yeah - the point breaks and Pangas ... are perfect for mid-lengths ... boards that can paddle well and cover some distance.

Reactions: scdad and JDJ