Nicaragua travel update

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
can you keep me seriously updated on this?
20W - the eMed home test (via a telehealth appointment on the laptop or mobile phone) worked perfectly. You order 6 tests from eMed.com for $150 (so 25 for each test). Within 3 days of the departure flight, you log into the website, say you're ready to start a test, a call center technician connects with you, and gives you instructions and watches you while you perform the test. You wait 15 minutes, then you click you are ready, and they reconnect and look at the results. After that is done, they send you an email with a password protected PDF with your test results, and your App also shows the test results. You print the PDF, and bring it to the airport (MGA for me) with the other forms that can be printed according to Avianca's rules, and you're set. My 2 sons and I had no problems. And, 6 other people who were staying with us, also had no problems.
Saved us having to drive to and from MGA from our camp during the middle of the trip. Stoked we could do it.

Reactions: Aardwolf

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
20W - the eMed home test (via a telehealth appointment on the laptop or mobile phone) worked perfectly. You order 6 tests from eMed.com for $150 (so 25 for each test). Within 3 days of the departure flight, you log into the website, say you're ready to start a test, a call center technician connects with you, and gives you instructions and watches you while you perform the test. You wait 15 minutes, then you click you are ready, and they reconnect and look at the results. After that is done, they send you an email with a password protected PDF with your test results, and your App also shows the test results. You print the PDF, and bring it to the airport (MGA for me) with the other forms that can be printed according to Avianca's rules, and you're set. My 2 sons and I had no problems. And, 6 other people who were staying with us, also had no problems.
Saved us having to drive to and from MGA from our camp during the middle of the trip. Stoked we could do it.
gracias! did you have to bring the tests with you or does emed deal in nica? out of confusion...why six tests....that how many people you had or?

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
gracias! did you have to bring the tests with you or does emed deal in nica? out of confusion...why six tests....that how many people you had or?
You have to buy them in the US and bring them with you. And, you can only buy them in 6 packs. eMed wants all 6 to be for the same individual, but in reality, people divvy up each of the 6 with others. Each test comes with its own QR code for tracking purposes. The other 6 people that were staying at the same place ended up bringing 18 (3 each). It's good to have at least one extra in case something goes wrong with your first test, or it is not working right due to manufacturing problems.

Edit: And, don't buy the ones at Walmart or CVS etc, at least as of today. They're the same tests, but don't include the telehealth appointment. As of now, eMed.com is the only place to buy the one where you get the lab certified results.

Last edited:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
What's it like down there - on the west coast - in early September? Trying to plan a trip with my wife and, while a little rain won't bother me much, it could put a damper on her good time.

Reactions: mundus

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
What's it like down there - on the west coast - in early September? Trying to plan a trip with my wife and, while a little rain won't bother me much, it could put a damper on her good time.
Overall - September is one of the best months ... usually good surf ... crowds (if any) are gone. Weather is usually good as well, however, typically there is one week (usually the mid-to-late part of the month) where the winds turn onshore and weather/waves go to crap. I recall one year - when Oakley was doing their surf shop challenge contest - the finals were held at Colorado's. The week before the contest - the surf and weather was perfect ... the entire week of the contest - it turned onshore and ugly .... the following week it went back to being perfect.

Reactions: sizzld1
Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
Is this only to return to the US? or does the eMed thing work flying from LAX to Managua?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Wife and I are heading down at the beginning of September. Looks like we're going to be staying in Rancho Santana for most of the trip. We're flying into Managua and will probably want to do day trips to check out surrounding sights/communities/waves, etc. Do you guys think I'll need a 4x4? Or will the typical cheap rental cars be able to handle most of what we are likely to encounter?

edit: found a decent deal on a full size suv. It's got good ground clearance, but I don't think it's 4-wheel drive. Think it will work?

Last edited:
Reactions: flyinraptr and JDJ

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Probably. Just watch out for big puddles. And remember they will hit you with that mandatory insurance on top of the rental quote, no matter what card you rent it with

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Wife and I are heading down at the beginning of September. Looks like we're going to be staying in Rancho Santana for most of the trip. We're flying into Managua and will probably want to do day trips to check out surrounding sights/communities/waves, etc. Do you guys think I'll need a 4x4? Or will the typical cheap rental cars be able to handle most of what we are likely to encounter?

edit: found a decent deal on a full size suv. It's got good ground clearance, but I don't think it's 4-wheel drive. Think it will work?
It has been a pretty mild rainy season up to this point ... not a lot of mud (which is what you need the 4 x 4 for) and a lot of the creeks are actually dry. Something with decent clearance should be sufficient .... you don't need a full size suv ... something along the lines of a Rav4 will work fine.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
It has been a pretty mild rainy season up to this point ... not a lot of mud (which is what you need the 4 x 4 for) and a lot of the creeks are actually dry. Something with decent clearance should be sufficient .... you don't need a full size suv ... something along the lines of a Rav4 will work fine.
Sure enough ... since posting the previous .... we've had 3 heavy rain events .... had to put the Hilux in 4x4 mode today to get to my surf spot today. Still not as bad as it normally is ... water only came up to the bottom of the running boards.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Can any of you guys recommend a fast turnaround testing place in LA (preferably near the west side) that worked for your flights with Avianca? :cheers:

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Can any of you guys recommend a fast turnaround testing place in LA (preferably near the west side) that worked for your flights with Avianca? :cheers:
Mrs. Flyinraptr just returned from LA yesterday on Avianca .... says she went to a place called "Covid Clinic".

FYI - no pics but surf was off the freaking hook today .... we had a week of bad weather due to the storms rolling up the gulf but today weather was back to normal offshores.