Nicaragua April?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
The month of April is a good choice.

(the beach) Popoyo rocks but is no secret.

outside Popoyo is a genuine expert slope. Avoid at low tide.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Go to Huatulco. Surf alone. Epic points.
While I don't discount your opinion of Huatulco, he didn't ask about Mex.
April should be good...most likely. Lots of easy options in Nica, depending on what
you're after. Very easy surf destination, IMO.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Been to Oaxaca. Never been to Nica.

What I'm after: see signature. Also interested in lefts of the same nature, plus bigger waves.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Been to Oaxaca. Never been to Nica.

What I'm after: see signature. Also interested in lefts of the same nature, plus bigger waves.

its a good time down there that time of year - early souths will be coming in. I dont know if you're going to find your 6-10 barrel that youre searching for but itll be consistent shoulder - head high possibly plus most likely.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Bump.

Looks like my wife and I are going to head down around the end of the month. I think we're probably going to stay in or near Rancho Santana. Any other suggestions of nice places to stay that will keep my wife happy and occupied (spa, horses, that kinda stuff) while I surf?

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Been twice to Santana area....stayed at Surf Sanctuary...also visited the Rancho quite a bit to eat and surf the left out front...the left can get crowded, tide dependent and IMO is the B+ Left wave in the region...Rancho has that yacht club ya never really left the states kinda feel...Santana’s is a fun peaky beach break but can close out if the swell is too big...Are you renting a car?? Cause if the left isn’t working and the swells too big then the Popoyo reef is a 45 minute walk or 25minute drive cause it takes forever to get out of the complex to reach the road...Same with staying at Iguana Colorado’s area, I spent 1.5 hours a day just driving to get in and out of the area to reach waves if the surf out front is not working...I like staying at the Surf Sanctuary cause it’s somewhat off the Eurotrash hostel backpack radar, you walk down the cow path to surf Santana’s or over the rocks to reach the Rancho left, it’s doable to walk to Popoyo, they have the best pool in the region, massages if needed, fishing guides, horse riding, trip to hot springs can be arranged, airport transfers and boat rides to other waves...I plan on taking my beach blanket watching fiancée this summer so she can just relax, read a book, get some sun, a message or two, walk to local dining and be surrounded by nature as opposed to the somewhat artificial Rancho experience, not that there’s anything wrong with that but it’s just not my style..it probably sounds like I’m on the payroll at Surf Sanctuary but Tony, his wife and the crew are a great host and I expect to see them every year, hopefully twice...

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Been twice to Santana area....stayed at Surf Sanctuary...also visited the Rancho quite a bit to eat and surf the left out front...the left can get crowded, tide dependent and IMO is the B+ Left wave in the region...Rancho has that yacht club ya never really left the states kinda feel...Santana’s is a fun peaky beach break but can close out if the swell is too big...Are you renting a car?? Cause if the left isn’t working and the swells too big then the Popoyo reef is a 45 minute walk or 25minute drive cause it takes forever to get out of the complex to reach the road...Same with staying at Iguana Colorado’s area, I spent 1.5 hours a day just driving to get in and out of the area to reach waves if the surf out front is not working...I like staying at the Surf Sanctuary cause it’s somewhat off the Eurotrash hostel backpack radar, you walk down the cow path to surf Santana’s or over the rocks to reach the Rancho left, it’s doable to walk to Popoyo, they have the best pool in the region, massages if needed, fishing guides, horse riding, trip to hot springs can be arranged, airport transfers and boat rides to other waves...I plan on taking my beach blanket watching fiancée this summer so she can just relax, read a book, get some sun, a message or two, walk to local dining and be surrounded by nature as opposed to the somewhat artificial Rancho experience, not that there’s anything wrong with that but it’s just not my style..it probably sounds like I’m on the payroll at Surf Sanctuary but Tony, his wife and the crew are a great host and I expect to see them every year, hopefully twice...
Really enjoyed SS the place is nice especially the casa's food and company great and shout out to Don Stone the photog/guide
cool kat got playgrounds pretty nice

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
how's the political climate down there now? safe to travel or still avoid?
I went last year in June, about 3 months after it quieted down and saw all the empty road blocks on the way from airport to the coast. IMOP it‘s still chill, my buddy went in November last year and scored no crowd waves. Locals were super stocked to surf with and friendly...but no one should go there or you will die...

Reactions: racer1
Jun 29, 2017
I went last year in June, about 3 months after it quieted down and saw all the empty road blocks on the way from airport to the coast. IMOP it‘s still chill, my buddy went in November last year and scored no crowd waves. Locals were super stocked to surf with and friendly...but no one should go there or you will die...
I've been Kauai 25 years but from Florida panhandle originally. I've got my Kauai house under contract set to close in April and gonna go bali for a month then headed back to north florida. Folks getting older so I need to be closer to family and was thinking of moving nica part time. Gonna head down July/August to check it out. Had friend from here visit last augustand he loved waves at Hacienda Iguana. Im just wondering how isolated will it be for the wife. Also, Santa ranco and Popoyo vs Hacienda iguana for surf. I will probably hop around for awhile and don't plan on purchasing anything for awhile if ever, id just like to hear others views of nica. I spent a couple of months in Costa Rica in 08. Drove around stayed in different places boated and surfed everything from witches rock to santa teresa mal pais. Playa Hermosa was as far south as i surfed. I wasn't too stoked on waves, although it was unbelievably consistent and fun.However by end of trip i was definitely missing Kauai reefs. . Im almost 50 now so was thinking Nica or maybe somewhere mex so can be closer to older parents and still surf a lot. I also saw someone mention Huatulco, ive also been researching that area and man oh man at the point setups. Im goofly and dont mind going right a lot but i was wondering if any good lefts in Huatulco area.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I've been Kauai 25 years but from Florida panhandle originally. I've got my Kauai house under contract set to close in April and gonna go bali for a month then headed back to north florida. Folks getting older so I need to be closer to family and was thinking of moving nica part time. Gonna head down July/August to check it out. Had friend from here visit last augustand he loved waves at Hacienda Iguana. Im just wondering how isolated will it be for the wife. Also, Santa ranco and Popoyo vs Hacienda iguana for surf. I will probably hop around for awhile and don't plan on purchasing anything for awhile if ever, id just like to hear others views of nica. I spent a couple of months in Costa Rica in 08. Drove around stayed in different places boated and surfed everything from witches rock to santa teresa mal pais. Playa Hermosa was as far south as i surfed. I wasn't too stoked on waves, although it was unbelievably consistent and fun.However by end of trip i was definitely missing Kauai reefs. . Im almost 50 now so was thinking Nica or maybe somewhere mex so can be closer to older parents and still surf a lot. I also saw someone mention Huatulco, ive also been researching that area and man oh man at the point setups. Im goofly and dont mind going right a lot but i was wondering if any good lefts in Huatulco area.
No left points but there is a beachbreak called Bocana that has lefts.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
For what it's worth - my wife and i retired to Iguana 2 1/2 yrs ago .... own property there long story but moved to San Juan Del Sur area last May .... love it - especially Mrs. Flyinraptr. She's a non-surfer - and there's a lot more to offer as far as restaurants, bars, things to do, etc. Downside is a little further from surf spots - but sometimes life is about compromise. Takes me about 20min to get to Hermosa. Season doesn't normally start cracking til May-June but things are warming already ... with significant swell expected next week. Here's a few shots i've taken with my cell phone last few weeks.

Yesterday ...
IMG_20200311_065334_722.jpg

Couple weeks ago ...
IMG_20200215_063929_219.jpg

IMG_20200215_064152_381.jpg

Reactions: NoCan
Feb 9, 2019
Anyone heard anything about a surfboard embargo? I was told no boards allowed into the country in certain months. Doesnt sound right.
April...easter is the biggest holiday of the year.
I was told avoid travel close to national election.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone heard anything about a surfboard embargo? I was told no boards allowed into the country in certain months. Doesnt sound right.
April...easter is the biggest holiday of the year.
I was told avoid travel close to national election.
Are you sheep or wolf?:)