Nicaragua April?

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Booking my flight for June 22-30th....any word on Quarantine upon arrival? Or if they will even allow you disembark? Hope everything is cleared up by then....

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Booking my flight for June 22-30th....any word on Quarantine upon arrival? Or if they will even allow you disembark? Hope everything is cleared up by then....
I'm scheduled to be there around the same time. I'm hoping flights don't get canceled, and that there is no quarantine there or on the way back. I haven't seen a way to check this, yet.

Reactions: Dekerwild

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Sorry for delays in responding been busy surfing. So i don't think there is any issue with coming or getting into Nica - as long as you're able to find a flight. The issue i would think is what are you going to have to deal with going back? Is there still a mandatory quarantine getting back into the States? Personally, i don't know. Everything is chill in SJDS, Playa Colorado and in general at the beaches .... SJDS - was voluntarily closed down during the Semana Santa week .... and stayed pretty quiet. Restaurants/bars have been doing take-out/delivery - that includes drinks with your food. This week they are starting to officially open up for business ... too soon? hard to say. I see less and less people wearing masks. Surf spots are still empty - no tourists. We normally make a trip up to the Price Mart in Managua every 5-6 weeks or so to stock up ... have been avoiding going to any of the bigger cities other than a couple trips to Rivas. We may finally chance it this week and make a trip up there.

We've had a couple of swells .... first one was well under-estimated in the forecast and really good conditions ... the second one was over-estimated and came with super windy conditions. A new swell is suppose to arrive later this week .... one sight is calling it 9'-12' on Saturday ... we'll see.

Speaking of rights .... i had to make a trip up to Colorado's/Panga Drops middle of last week - paddled out at Pangas - first set was a couple feet overhead - was on my new 6'10" BSD twinzer - biggest conditions i've had it out in so far - first wave was a solid right - did 3 or 4 big carves - board was flying but felt in control. Unfortuntely, about an hour into it the wind went ballistic - which is unusual for this late in the year. Otherwise - been riding my new 6'4" BSD R2 Twinzer as a straight twinny (Future's EN fin set) - in everything from waist to head high - and loving it.

We're a couple of weeks away from the official end of summer .... haven't had any significant rain in months - looks like we may get something next week - which will go a long way with setting up the sandbars .... some spots still have more sand on the beach than you'd normally like to see. Other than that - all good down here ... surfing and following what's going on back in the States. Stay healthy out there!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Update - last couple of days have been off the hook. Solid 10-12' ... today saw a cleanup set probably in the 15' range. In the foreground of this photo ... there are 3 guys trying to make it out to the lineup.

20200510_065939.jpg

It took them a good 20 minutes to make it out .... once they got they there they were met with this cleanup set ... (i'm standing on an elevated embankment when i took this with my cell phone)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wmwudk5dih1wer/20200510_071652.mp4?dl=0

Reactions: CutnSnip and scdad

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Still big this morning ... took out my Barry Snyder Designs - 7'2" Shambala pin tail. Got 3 solid lefts in the 8' range ... caught inside twice - took several on the head ... nearly had my watch ripped off my wrist twice. Both board and body made it out of the water in one piece .... all in all a successful session!! LOL

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Still big this morning ... took out my Barry Snyder Designs - 7'2" Shambala pin tail. Got 3 solid lefts in the 8' range ... caught inside twice - took several on the head ... nearly had my watch ripped off my wrist twice. Both board and body made it out of the water in one piece .... all in all a successful session!! LOL

Cant wait to get back down there. stung quite a bit having to miss my annual Costa trip but looks like I woulda been skunked anyways during the week I had booked.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
The current situation is we've had back to back swells a week apart in the 8'-12' range. I am toast - had to take a couple days off. The US Embassy in Nicaragua has recently posted a couple of notices ...

========================================================================================
Event: American Airlines has extended suspension of regular service from Managua to the United States through July 7, 2020. Several other airlines have also changed dates for resumption of service to and from Nicaragua:
  • Aeromexico service suspended until June 04, 2020
  • United Airlines service suspended until June 04, 2020
  • Avianca Airlines service suspended until June 04, 2020
  • Delta Airlines service suspended indefinitely
  • American Airlines service suspended until July 07, 2020
  • Copa Airlines service suspended until June 08, 2020
  • Spirit Airlines service suspended until July 05, 2020
===========================================================================================

Not sure if this is only direct flights from the US ... heard that people were flying into Costa Rica and then crossing the border.

However - the Embassy posted this on May 14th ...
=========================================================================================
Event: The Costa Rican government has announced the closure of its border until at least June 15. The Honduran border remains closed until further notice.
==========================================================================================

Here is the link to the Embassy website ...

US Embassy Nicaragua

As far as surf camps - I know Buzz - NicaSurf Extreme - he runs a good camp, knows what he's doing .... and usually leans on the side of caution. I believe he suspended activity - not sure about the others. In the water - it's been only locals and ex-pats. Things are normal as as can be as far as Nica is concerned - a lot of businesses remain closed but haven't seen any shortages with regards to food in stores. Some of the businesses that are open are starting to take customer temperatures as they enter the store - but there are no enforced lock down laws or requirements to wear masks at this point .... don't anticipate there will be. As far as surf spots - Playa Hermosa remains the only spot closed - access road that is - you could still hike into it and surf however. It's hard to get a gauge on the virus here - there's no real reporting or information on infections etc. The biggest challenge will be traveling to get here and then returning back to the US but once you are here - i would not expect you to run into any problems.

Reactions: manbearpig

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
========================================================================================
Event: American Airlines has extended suspension of regular service from Managua to the United States through July 7, 2020. Several other airlines have also changed dates for resumption of service to and from Nicaragua:
  • Aeromexico service suspended until June 04, 2020
  • United Airlines service suspended until June 04, 2020
  • Avianca Airlines service suspended until June 04, 2020
  • Delta Airlines service suspended indefinitely
  • American Airlines service suspended until July 07, 2020
  • Copa Airlines service suspended until June 08, 2020
  • Spirit Airlines service suspended until July 05, 2020
===========================================================================================
Well crap, AA just hosed me. Now I gotta replan. Ugh.

• Sad
Reactions: afoaf

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Update - from US Embassy ...

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Managua, Nicaragua (June 02, 2020)
Event: As of June 1, 2020, the government of Nicaragua has reported 759 cases of COVID-19, including cases of community transmission. Independent health monitors estimate the actual number of cases is even higher and will continue to rise quickly. To combat the spread of the virus, Nicaraguan medical associations have urged the public to abide by a voluntary nationwide quarantine of three to four weeks’ duration.
All routine commercial air service between Nicaragua and the United States remains suspended until at least June 21, and the land borders with Costa Rica and Honduras remain closed to non-commercial traffic.
U.S. citizens remaining in Nicaragua should ensure they have an adequate supply of food, water, and medicine. Visit Ready.gov for additional tips to prepare yourself for emergencies.
The Embassy has offered the additional health-related guidance to its staff:
· Avoid crowds
· Socialize only with those who live inside your home
· Limit contact with those outside your home to no more than 10 minutes while maintaining at least six feet of separation
· Wear a cloth face covering whenever leaving your home and wash your face covering after use
· Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds
Actions to Take:
· Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 and what you can do to reduce your risk.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding impacts to travel.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 (https://ni.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/) for information on conditions in Nicaragua.
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Assistance:
· U.S. Embassy Managua, Nicaragua
Km 5 ½ Carretera Sur
Managua, Nicaragua
+505-2252-7104
+505-2252-7171 (after hours)
ACSManagua@state.gov
https://ni.usembassy.gov/
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Nicaragua Country Information

If you are coming down to Nica - would recommend making travel arrangements with the Surf Camp or destination you plan to stay at ... avoid using taxi's in Managua. Fly in to Managua and go directly to your destination. Definitely, take the recommended precautions - face mask, wash hands, etc. but you need not worry about getting hit with rubber bullets, flash bang grenades or batons.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i was futzing around (torturing myself no doubt) searching flights from NY in mid June and July. best set up i found was $2000 per person with 2 layovers to get to Managua, totaling 30 hours to get there LOL. the flight home would have been the only sane part- United flying straight from Managua to Houston to NY with a normal layover in Houston

I aint going anywhere except crazy. and right now that's as fun a destination as any. You should see my home boys photos of Astor place shot from his parents apartment over the last couple of days. Literally every store in sight (and he can see all the way up to Union Square) is smashed open and looted empty. every... single...store. from K-mart to the little random boutiques of varying ages and pedigrees. and that's just one small slice of Manhattan between 6th street and 14th street, along 4th avenue. total devastation.

weeeeeeeeee

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Update .... June has been firing so far and it looks like more is on tap! Photo credit: nicaragua365
Had to move my trip to August. Hopefully things open up by then. Do you think all of these people live there, or are some flights from other countries (non-US) coming in?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Had to move my trip to August. Hopefully things open up by then. Do you think all of these people live there, or are some flights from other countries (non-US) coming in?
It's probably a little more crowded up at Playa Colorado but the only people i see where i am at are either locals or ex-pats who live here. The most crowded i saw the lineup this week was around 5 people in the water excluding me. I haven't seen any traveling surfers at all .... I've seen a handful of non-surfing tourists in town - backpacker types who appeared to be European. There are now a small number of flights coming in and out .... we know some people flying back to the states next week. The other day Mrs. Flyinraptr asked what that noise was that she was hearing ... happened to be a plane flying over .... it's an event to see one or vapor trails in the sky. Stores have installed plexi-glass at the cash registers, coming in and out of towns - they now have crews spraying down each car with some type of pesticide .... not sure if it is for mosquitos or what but first time i've seen it happening on a regular basis.