Nica vs. Samoa

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Follow up: Had a great time at Nicawaves surfing the Popoyo area and beyond. Pick up the airport by Nicawaves driver Mayler for the ride to Popoyo was trouble free, he offered to stop to get some refreshment for the ride but I opted out. Mayler pointed out the active volcano on the way (which is a trip). After a couple hours we arrived and Iw as shown to my "room" (which was really a casita of my own) over looking the pool. Shortly after met my personal guide Candi and we took off to surf the afternoon session. First couple days were small but very surfable. Super fun bouncing around Nica with Candi, Saturday night we went to a near by rodeo for some local flavor. Sunday got up for the first of three boat trips, to a break called Playgrounds, a cobblestone reef predominately a left to a channel and a quality right on the other side with no channel back out. First day was underwhelming s swell had yet to arrive, but a couple fun was none the less ( Candi was ripping), Made two more trips up to playground with much bigger swell and crowd. Wave really turned on with the increase in swell, super ripable. Morning sessions at Playground followed up by killer breakfast, a nap, and afternoon session at Santana (chunky beach break) and Popoyo ( two way reef). Got a slight injury second session on Wednesday, putting an end to surfing, leaving at 7:30 Thursday anyway. The staff at Nicawaves super friendly and completely accommodating. The guide service Mike provides for the surfer package is so dialed I can't imagine not doing it that way, just doesn't make sense to try and do it on your own. For the cost everything is included food, non alcoholic drinks, snacks, guide, boat trip. The food was fantastic whether for the menu or the nightly special, all great! My total cost including tips was under $1500 (less flight) Absolutely hassle free/no worry just surf your brains out. Highly recommend https://www.nicawaves.com/

Candi.jpgchariot.jpgdinner special.jpgEvening view.jpgPG 1.JPGPG 2.JPGPG 3.JPGPG 4.JPGPG 5.JPGPG 6.JPG