Newbie surf foiler here

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Been getting a few rides each session. My buddy says I do everything right till I start being jiffy lube man on the ride. Gotta stay low. Definitely not an easy skill to learn this foiling. I’ll get it. I’m stubborn. Only been a couple weeks.

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
keep going, once you get the first 10-15 sessions out the way you'll really start to grasp it, until then it can be slow progress but it's more than worth it long term.
don't get too low or you won't be able to get your weight on the front foot effectively, a low'ish' but stable surf stance should do you until you get the confidence to stand taller, remember to look up when you're riding and not down.

Reactions: surfdad

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If you're going backside. Just get in a backside barrel stance and point it. Don't worry about pumping at all at this stage. Smooth level flights for as long as the wave will allow. Longer flight time will help you progress.

The size of waves we've had lately are not helping you at all either. When we get some soft 1-2 foot days you're going to go crazy.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
stay loose in the knees, use your hips to move weight forward and back to control pitch. keep your ankles stiff, less movement is best and always try to stay on your center line/stringer.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
The foil speeds up in turns. Latest progression project podcast brought it out really well. On a surfboard you slow down during a turn so you have to lead with your front arm high to lift the nose. Since the foil speeds up it'll try to breech, so you have to keep your front arm down and lead nose down into turns.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I’m making progress. Getting more flights although not super long and definitely no pump outs yet haha. Taking one day at a time. Was getting 2-3 rides. Yesterday got 6-8 fun ones. Still not super long but fun. I’ll get there. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: Clamsmasher