Newbie surf foiler here

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
sorry photo is sideways. I paid $700 for the mast and foil and getting a board for 475 next week. The board is a 5'0" 20.75 3.8 49liters. I can't wait to get out there again. any tips on LA spots and actually any tips at all. Please share. Thanks

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Nice score! Just look for the worst, least breaking wave around and keep your weight over your front foot. :drowning:

Reactions: surfdad

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
sorry photo is sideways. I paid $700 for the mast and foil and getting a board for 475 next week. The board is a 5'0" 20.75 3.8 49liters. I can't wait to get out there again. any tips on LA spots and actually any tips at all. Please share. Thanks
Try the spot you used to pimp out years ago. Seems ideal :sleep:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I have been sup foiling a couple years, but fairly new to surf foil. Pop ups were challenging, because if foot position is off at all, then it doesn't work, I find it really hard to adjust foot position "on the fly". But once up and riding, surf foiling is so much better! The other advantage I've found with surf foil is that you can take off in the whitewater and surface chop isn't a factor ... in other words, as crappy as surf conditions can be, you can still have fun on the surf foil. I have found it rare to find an open face take-off that is makeable, so 90% of my rides have started in white water. Seems that if the wave has any white water at all, I can probably get up, and once up, can ride next to nothing ... the best waves have been bigger outside sets that reform on the inside. Cool thing is that the surfers are kicking out just as I am taking off, so I am using up a wave resource that is otherwise unridden, great for crowd avoidance. Only tip that comes to mind....when it starts to feel not right, better to kick the board away than try to correct....like sozzle says, the "jackknife" wipeout is to be avoided, that foil will turn up to meet your face so fast it's amazing.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
mondos mondos mondos....go to mondos in Ventura to learn ...best place...slow crappy crumbly waves...works on all tides...

or sunset point Malibu...BUT...stay off the point....stay in front the stairs or lifeguard tower...mid to low tide...at high tide the backwash will kik your a$$$

bolsa chica rivermouth...steady or dropping tide...rising tide will push you into the estuary and paddling out will suck....dropping tide is FUN...foil to the bridge and can ride the current back out

once you get good can come first point malibu with us but gotta approval from sarlo first...we keeping tight lid on foilers at first self policing so we dont get banned....yet

Reactions: Kaser1 and surfdad

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Get a year under your belt and come back to Maui in November. Best month to get light/no wind and NW swell. Foiling Ka'a will blow your mind.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
Thanks boys. Learned at 1000 peaks and it clicked at redhouse. Gave it another go here on a friend’s foil the other day. Waiting on payday to buy my board. Then it’s ON like donkey Kong. Every day surf or foil.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
What part of la exactly? I’m up in Malibu west or north of there. Is that a lift 200? 28 inch mast? I have the shorter mast I can let you try if you’d like. I’ve never used it.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
I have been sup foiling the past year but recently considering trying prone foiling. I have prone surfed most of my life, how hard of a transition do you think it would it be? Does having your feet perfectly centered on the pop ups critical? I dont ever look at my feet when i pop up when i am surfing.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Then it’s ON like donkey Kong. Every day foil.
Fixed that for you. :)

To Keoki. Pop ups are critical, but you can fix your feet. You can leave a hand or two on the deck/rail while you adjust your feet. If you can prone surf I"m sure you can prone foil. If you already can control the foil I think you'll enjoy trying prone. There are times when it's superior. What you'll miss is the takeoff zone is smaller since you don't have an oar to help push you in out on the shoulder.

• Haha

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I have recently transitioned from sup foil to surf foil, agree with hdip. My challenge was pop-ups -- I have 30 years surfing, but in last 10 years almost all longboard and sup. So I am just not realistically a shortboarder any more, my pop-up was really weak. Once up and riding, though, felt super, like sup foil but way more free, fast, and also more stable. With 30 or so sessions prone foiling, I am in best paddling shape of a decade or more! I have found surf foiling has opened up a lot of days that were not sup foilable: surface chop or too big to get into on sup. But sup foil still has its day, for waves that are easy shoulder hoppers and long long long paddle backs.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Keoki, you won’t have any real problems having already mastered the foiling part.
Prone boards being small are way more fidgety and light in the nose....that’s the main thing to come to terms with. The easiest way to do it is to set the mast way back (if you’re running tracks) and physically rotate the thing out of the water when you’ve gotten to your feet. Move it forward in increments as you get comf and want to cash in on that sweet sweet prone pump.
Prone boards being so small, obviously the foot position is a bit condensed but it won’t take too long to figure out. If you’ve got the mast back, you can take your time a bit before taking flight.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I wore booties for the first time this winter bc the report said the temp dropped to 57-59. Biggest mistake: I have front traction and could barely get my front foot where it needed to be. Fell on as many take offs as my first few sessions. Continuing to be humbled by this fvcking thing.

Reactions: grendel95

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Thanks guys, planning on giving it a go. A guy from work has a board that he is going to loan me. He tried prone foiling once and said he almost killed himself so he swore it off. Hopefully he will bring it in soon. I work by Bolsa Chica, so want to take it out during lunch.