newbie foil setup

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this thing. I started foiling right when it went mainstream on one of those low-aspect heavy ass Naish wings (maybe second generation). Just as I was starting to feel some confidence on it, I wrecked myself pretty good and it scared me off. That was a few years ago now and I'm starting to get the itch to try again...

How much of a difference do you think a newer, high aspect wing make on the learning curve? I don't have access to boats or e-foils, so I'm going to have to re-learn/progress the hard way for the most part.

One last thing, I'm not that concerned about cost, so I'd be open to suggestions for other types of wings if you think they might make learning/progressing easier. Thanks ! :cheers:

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I have the same question

but for that price could be a whole set for under $1000
I have a set I'm prepping to sell from Armstrong. Just upgraded all my gear. Really good "A+ Performance" gear. Just packed it all up this morning to prep it for sale.

Has the mast, fuselage, 4 front foil wings, 2 rear stabilizer foil wings, and the bag, plus all screws, wedges, etc, etc, as well as two star drivers. Everything is in great condition.
-Mast: 850 A+ mast
-Fusellage: I believe 60 mm, but standard size
-Front foils: HS 1850 (big and easy to get up on), HS1550 (V.2), HS 1250
-Bonus Front Foil: HS 1550 (V.1) (has a largre cord length, making it easy for beginners)
-Rear Stabilizer Trailers: 300 (easy one) and HS232 (more performance oriented)

Selling for $1500, which is both a firm price and honestly a steal as the front foils alone are each about $600-$800. Everything is in great condition. I don't run into rocks and reefs.

Here's a picture of the set-up. I'm in SB and regularly go to the South Bay.

I can unpack and take a full picture if needed/wanted.

PM me if interested.

Foil Set.jpg

Reactions: tenover

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
PS: I also have a Naish 90 liter board & a DuoTone 5.5 Wing I'll be selling soon. Just not this week. Maybe in the next 2 weeks or so.

Reactions: tenover

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
No that is not a "current generation" foil for that price. It is however a foil from a half generation ago. The generation where foils are actually good and every brand had good foils.

The reason the price is so cheap is the mast is aluminum. Perfectly acceptable, better than the Carbon mast from Cabrinha in fact. You'll notice the price goes up if you switch it to the carbon mast.

I will not recommend bad gear to people. It's not worth their time. So while that gear is not top of the line right now. It is good gear, and it is cheap which is what OP was asking for. You will keep riding that foil for your whole learning process. (That could be 2 months, that could be 2 years, depends on how much time you dedicate to foiling) Then when you learn to wing it will also be useful for that.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
One last thing, I'm not that concerned about cost, so I'd be open to suggestions for other types of wings if you think they might make learning/progressing easier. Thanks ! :cheers:
The newer wings are just better. They're more stable, they're more forgiving, they don't launch you out of the water at the drop of a hat like the old ones did.

If price is not an option, just buy a Code setup. Every foil in their lineup is the newest generation of foil. The mast is good. The connections are very robust and it's built to last. Probably an 850s if you're learning in the surf. Then augment from there after you are comfortable catching waves and know which way you want to go next. (stick with the S series unless you're going to go into SUP downwind)

rmoisio

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 20, 2008
California
No that is not a "current generation" foil for that price. It is however a foil from a half generation ago. The generation where foils are actually good and every brand had good foils.

The reason the price is so cheap is the mast is aluminum. Perfectly acceptable, better than the Carbon mast from Cabrinha in fact. You'll notice the price goes up if you switch it to the carbon mast.

I will not recommend bad gear to people. It's not worth their time. So while that gear is not top of the line right now. It is good gear, and it is cheap which is what OP was asking for. You will keep riding that foil for your whole learning process. (That could be 2 months, that could be 2 years, depends on how much time you dedicate to foiling) Then when you learn to wing it will also be useful for that.
people are sleeping on the cab foils. tried this set up the other week winging and its pretty smooth, easy take off, smooth turning, gets some speed, stable. its a steal. mast a bit short though

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
PS: I also have a Naish 90 liter board & a DuoTone 5.5 Wing I'll be selling soon. Just not this week. Maybe in the next 2 weeks or so.
How often are you doing it?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Go pretty often - at least twice a week at present. Was just out there today. Winds were 13-20 mph up north of us.

Foiled for 3 hours. Had a ball. Keep a Garmin watch on when I do it and had a sub 4 minute mile today replete with plenty of turns. Averaged a hair over 15 mph. The speed is addicting AF and there's nothing like catching a swell and surfing it while on foil. [Admission: I haven't yet prone foiled. I plan to with the new board.]

New board arrives in a bit under 2 weeks, but I'll be in Biarritz (hopefully scoring surf - never been). Anyway, I'll be selling the Naish when I return. Likely selling the DuoTone at the same time.

• Wow
Reactions: sizzld1 and PRCD

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this thing. I started foiling right when it went mainstream on one of those low-aspect heavy ass Naish wings (maybe second generation). Just as I was starting to feel some confidence on it, I wrecked myself pretty good and it scared me off. That was a few years ago now and I'm starting to get the itch to try again...

How much of a difference do you think a newer, high aspect wing make on the learning curve? I don't have access to boats or e-foils, so I'm going to have to re-learn/progress the hard way for the most part.

i'm a huge fan of Axis gear and the spitfire front foils in particular. very forgiving and easy to ride. work very well in the ocean.

are you wing foiling or prone?

Reactions: sizzld1