New York: Swim in the ocean without lifeguards, go to jail.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Further evidence of the inability of government to act in a reasonable, responsible way to benefit its citizens.
Was he released immediately without bail, or did they have to hold him for his own good?

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

RayG

Nep status
Dec 3, 2002
Astoria, NY USA
If the ocean "closes" at 6pm, how do people surf after work?
Surprisingly- Surfing is allowed at 'closed' beaches.

They take this stuff pretty serious- When someone invariably drowns because they went swimming "after hours"- questions come up and lawsuits question why didn't the city do more to protect the stupid or careless.

Reactions: Black

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Not a huge fan of rules in general (except when I’m exercising my delicious new admin powers ;)) but sadly I kind of get where they’re coming from. People drown all the time at rockaway and it’s often in knee high or smaller conditions.

this is one of the few times I’ve ever heard of a swimmer actually being arrested for after hours ocean swimming. Maybe the only time. Leads me to wonder what sort of condition the guy was in that led cops to actually arrest him

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Few socal beaches have the same rule.

Watched a guy in Laguna go out for a morning swim in beautiful glassy 2' surf. We were only two on entire beach. Lifeguard kid, maybe 22, comes running full blast down beach and dives in like he's got to rescue someone. Then starts yelling at the guy to get out of the water as swimming is closed until certain time. The guy told the kid to fuck off and started kicking water in his face and yelling at the kid as he swam away from him. The lifeguard came back to the beach looking dejected. :roflmao:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Few socal beaches have the same rule.

Watched a guy in Laguna go out for a morning swim in beautiful glassy 2' surf. We were only two on entire beach. Lifeguard kid, maybe 22, comes running full blast down beach and dives in like he's got to rescue someone. Then starts yelling at the guy to get out of the water as swimming is closed until certain time. The guy told the kid to fook off and started kicking water in his face and yelling at the kid as he swam away from him. The lifeguard came back to the beach looking dejected. :roflmao:
When did that start?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Rockaway Beach? That's sort of a special case I think.

It's very accessible by a lot of poor inner-city kids who can't swim. They've run around and splashed in 3 foot or so pools but can't swim, have no concept of ocean safety, don't have friends or family that do and if they've got a good muscle to fat ratio they sink like rocks. I hear of a kid drowning at Rockaway beach or inlet on the news almost every other weekend and I don't listen to the local news all that much. School trip - no lifeguard - kids go in the water - kid swept away, random group of kids wading, one gets swept away, over and over.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Rockaway Beach? That's sort of a special case I think.

It's very accessible by a lot of poor inner-city kids who can't swim. They've run around and splashed in 3 foot or so pools but can't swim, have no concept of ocean safety, don't have friends or family that do and if they've got a good muscle to fat ratio they sink like rocks. I hear of a a kid drowning at Rockaway beach or inlet on the news almost every other weekend and I don't listen to the local news all that much. School trip - no lifeguard - kids go in the water - kid swept away, random group of kids wading, one gets swept away, over and over.
This, sadly.